Tall Sativa autoflowers in small 2 gallon pots?

OM2

Reaction score
Hi, would tall Sativa autoflowers get rootbound in small 2 gallon pots? What about even smaller pots, such as 1 or 1.5 gallons?
If it works without problems, what kind of pot would you recommend?

The strains i'm wondering about are Auto AK47 from Bulk Seed Bank that can grow up to 50-60 inches
Some Haze strains from RQS about the same height.
Both strains take 11-12 weeks from seed to harvest by their description.
Also i will be using everything from Biobizz. Light-Mix and all of their nutrients and supplements.

P.S - Not worried too much about yield, i would just like to try different strains in multiple smaller pots. But i would like to do LST as well.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello there. Been growing all small 500 ml solo cups for about 6 months now. They grow no problem and give me around the oz a plant, sometimes more.
Good luck,
EP3

Thanks for the reply.

I always thought autoflowers need a specific pot size per plant size, and that only photoperiods can be controlled to be small. But then i saw the topic about micro-growing and see people growing autoflowers in 0,5l pots like you.

Hello there. Been growing all small 500 ml solo cups for about 6 months now. They grow no problem and give me around the oz a plant, sometimes more.
Good luck,
EP3

I've just been running solo's lately @ about a 1/2oz per plant, sometimes more depending on the strain. 250w HPS

One thing I will say is that I've not seen many good solo's in soil, most of the bigger plants have been coco or another form of hydro. That's not to say there are not good soil solos, they are just harder to manage with overwatering etc.

I've just been running solo's lately @ about a 1/2oz per plant, sometimes more depending on the strain. 250w HPS

One thing I will say is that I've not seen many good solo's in soil, most of the bigger plants have been coco or another form of hydro. That's not to say there are not good soil solos, they are just harder to manage with overwatering etc.
Someone did a comparison of all the entries and @The Bedroom Gardener UK is correct all the larger ones were coco.
EP3

Would you suggest to use coco for my needs or keep going with Biobizz light mix?
I was gonna order another batch of substrate anyway, because the soil i have is bought 6 months ago and was stored in a warm humid area. It has a weird smell through the bag lol, it could be moldy inside..

I also have hard water above 400ppm and around 9 pH, and i heard coco leeches the calcium? Maybe it would be useful in that case.

But my plan was to keep the plants small and get at least 30g from each of the 6 plants, in 2 gallon pots inside a 2x4x6 tent. If coco would make the plants a lot bigger then i'm not sure.

Back