:smoking:...Blanch, are you referring to the RH% in the jars? ... that's right on target, in fact for longer term storage, I like to get my bud down to high 50's RH%,...

:eyebrows: I'm hoping to get you to try the dark background + flash so we can pick your brain on how you did it! My problem with this lousy camera is monkeying with the zoom and/or macro settings to try to find even light spread from the flash, and still get good close-ups,... time for a new camera is really what needs to happen! :doh: I can find a small sweet spot for it, that's all,... plus as you can see in this pic, the damn flash is off center, making for annoying shadowing,... but nothing makes the trichomes stand out like the flash!
a8.jpg

:smoking:...Blanch, are you referring to the RH% in the jars? ... that's right on target, in fact for longer term storage, I like to get my bud down to high 50's RH%,...

:eyebrows: I'm hoping to get you to try the dark background + flash so we can pick your brain on how you did it! My problem with this lousy camera is monkeying with the zoom and/or macro settings to try to find even light spread from the flash, and still get good close-ups,... time for a new camera is really what needs to happen! :doh: I can find a small sweet spot for it, that's all,... plus as you can see in this pic, the damn flash is off center, making for annoying shadowing,... but nothing makes the trichomes stand out like the flash!
View attachment 867100

What camera and lens do you have exactly?

So this set up is a Nikon 750D w/105mm micro lens and SB600 flash.. How I do this is have the flash positioned to bounce of the side of the wall so that it isn't directly on the subject.. blowing it out. If you have a compact camera with built in flash you might not be able to control it much.. I would try different angles on a dark background.. A black cardboard piece from a newsagent or art shop could work really well. If I know what you have I might be able to offer a few ideas for you to try :coffee:

1902-51.jpg

What camera and lens do you have exactly?
And that my friends is how you know you are talking to a good photographer... They ask what kind of lenses you have. ...its all in the glass. You can have a old 10mp camera with a 35mm kit lens and shot decent pictures..take that same camera body and put on, lets say a 35mm f/1.4 lens ...mind blown

So this set up is a Nikon 750D w/105mm micro lens and SB600 flash.. How I do this is have the flash positioned to bounce of the side of the wall so that it isn't directly on the subject.. blowing it out. If you have a compact camera with built in flash you might not be able to control it much.. I would try different angles on a dark background.. A black cardboard piece from a newsagent or art shop could work really well. If I know what you have I might be able to offer a few ideas for you to try :coffee:

View attachment 867301
Great technique, love bouncing light, bouncing light preserves contrast/detail especially on high detail subjects . if using a compact camera, try covering flash with a piece of milk carton plastic to help diffuse light to reduce blowing out. Great tip @Avalanche Blanch

.... :thumbsup: gorgeous! ..... oh Blanch, it's an artifact... Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5,... I think I've played it out to best effect with it's design limitations, there's not much better that can be done for pics with it,... For me, what I want in the pics is for resins to stand out, and good color rendering,... decent macro capability,... this camera with it's off-set flash, and feeble macro limitations are irritating, but I can squeak some good shots out with some effort! :rofl: ... I hear you on the angling, I've tried lots of that, but with that off-set flash it makes for funky unbalanced shadowing by default, no work around there,... I find that direct hits with flash are what shows trichomes best, that bright sparkle effect,...:biggrin: ... the problem is for close-up's, the flash is too bright and uneven, pronounced shadowing too,... best I can do is keep it on the macro setting, and use a touch of zoom to try to make up for the distance needed to even out light/shadowing,...:doh: ... I just need a better camera! But that a luxury item right now, and I have other more pressing expenses to butt-clench over :rofl: .... When I do get ready to buy, I'm research like mad and be sure to consult you too! :pighug: thanks luv!

.... :thumbsup: gorgeous! ..... oh Blanch, it's an artifact... Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5,... I think I've played it out to best effect with it's design limitations, there's not much better that can be done for pics with it,... For me, what I want in the pics is for resins to stand out, and good color rendering,... decent macro capability,... this camera with it's off-set flash, and feeble macro limitations are irritating, but I can squeak some good shots out with some effort! :rofl: ... I hear you on the angling, I've tried lots of that, but with that off-set flash it makes for funky unbalanced shadowing by default, no work around there,... I find that direct hits with flash are what shows trichomes best, that bright sparkle effect,...:biggrin: ... the problem is for close-up's, the flash is too bright and uneven, pronounced shadowing too,... best I can do is keep it on the macro setting, and use a touch of zoom to try to make up for the distance needed to even out light/shadowing,...:doh: ... I just need a better camera! But that a luxury item right now, and I have other more pressing expenses to butt-clench over :rofl: .... When I do get ready to buy, I'm research like mad and be sure to consult you too! :pighug: thanks luv!

That's a great camera.. Good glass in that lens, I sold many of them yrs ago! The macro isn't as good as other compacts but you can get good results. Padawans suggestion of diffusing the flash with cut out bit of milk container is a good one.. You do have a lot of manual functions to control what you get.. like flash compensation, you can lower the flash output settings. Your best bet would be using lighting to light subject.. i.e. HPS if you have them.. then turn your flash off, you should get better results that way without the blow out. Another way could be using natural sunlight through the window :thumbsup:

That's a great camera.. Good glass in that lens, I sold many of them yrs ago! The macro isn't as good as other compacts but you can get good results. Padawans suggestion of diffusing the flash with cut out bit of milk container is a good one.. You do have a lot of manual functions to control what you get.. like flash compensation, you can lower the flash output settings. Your best bet would be using lighting to light subject.. i.e. HPS if you have them.. then turn your flash off, you should get better results that way without the blow out. Another way could be using natural sunlight through the window :thumbsup:
Beautiful plant you have there. Also great job on your grow. So much better smoking your own. Your pictures are amazing too. I have a beginner camera I guess you could call it lol wish I paid as much for my camera as I did my camcorder, hindsight. Lol I don't use mine because most of my post and all are from phone. You obviously know your way around photography. So I've got a question. What are some tips, one could use if they are using a cell phone camera or beginner camera? I know there has to be a better term for beginner camera, I just can't think of it right now. Lol:doh:

Beautiful plant you have there. Also great job on your grow. So much better smoking your own. Your pictures are amazing too. I have a beginner camera I guess you could call it lol wish I paid as much for my camera as I did my camcorder, hindsight. Lol I don't use mine because most of my post and all are from phone. You obviously know your way around photography. So I've got a question. What are some tips, one could use if they are using a cell phone camera or beginner camera? I know there has to be a better term for beginner camera, I just can't think of it right now. Lol:doh:

Thanks John! I had a few friends try this and absolutely loved it.. Has gone down a treat!

If your taking photos with your phone, you are limited with your settings but you can get the best out of any basic camera or phone by using available lighting to the best of your ability.. An example would be natural sunlight coming through a bathroom window which is frosted, will actually act as a diffuser for the light... Then you can set up a backdrop, like a black sheet or white to keep the focus on your subject. I think most phones these days do have some editing options. My iPhone can increase/decrease shadows, contrast, exposure.. Just a matter of playing with your settings to see what it looks like. You can also set up some artificial lighting as well, like HPS.. Which most growers on here probably have or have had at some point.. The most important thing with photography is lighting, that will set the mood of your image. Flash lighting on basic cameras or phone cameras can be harsh and you will get blow out spots or over exposed spots on your image.

Back