New Grower Suggestion/opinion On First Grow

Safety should Always be your Number 1 priority and if your unable to provide that I honestly recommend holding off on growing until your more prepared to deal with the costly expenses. Problems do & will come up, that is almost a certainty you need be proactive and plan ahead.

I agree it's very risky not using carbon filter, even if you were 100% legal grower the idea to remove all odors to not attract attention should be an extremely important focus, sometimes putting off grow until your able provide a way to scrub the air is much better option. Think about it this way, if it does smell to the high heavens what is gonna be your plan? you need to have one, it's certainly not worth the risk if someone smells it and either A.) rips ya off. B.) someone makes call to law that they smell something coming from your place. ALWAYS play it safe... do not take unnecessary risks.

I have to agree with you. But now according to you I can cut off the plant immediately and throw it away. What do you think, how strong the smell will be?

if ya just go ahead and do anyways, in like 30 days everyone gonna ask damn where did mental go? I hope you will give this more thought, I guess this huge risk is on you and if your willing give up your freedom or loose your crop or both, by not being more prepared for your grow. Any inside grow takes additional resources and carbon filter usually at very top of everyones list and understand that also needs replacing every couple grows. plan for the unexpected.....

I have to agree with you. But now according to you I can cut off the plant immediately and throw it away. What do you think, how strong the smell will be?
it depends it can be very very mild, to repulsive so really hard to say.

first, can I ask why you would want take that risk, that maybe it will smell, maybe it won't? To be honest you WILL not notice the odor too much yourself, until you leave house and return few hours later, you'll become immune to it but everyone else will sure smell it. Am just looking out for ya. I do not want ya get robbed or jailed, thats why I am telling you this, not to scare ya.

maybe you can make some kind of make-shift carbon filter for now so, when you do get odors during flower maybe you will be able control much easier. there are options if your grow already in progress, just next time you should plan a little better... coz you surely don't want nothing bad happen and none of us here want that for ya.

herb extremely hard grow inside a bedroom/apartment, if noise and odor are gonna be an issue... depending on location if no-one around or would smell you can vent outside but that risky without some type of filter, coz you can't control where wind will take the odor.

any strong odor you get depending on strain you plan to grow, will pick up during flowering. I'll give you FYI, I did a Northern Lights Special before and I always heard Northern Lights is basically odorless or very low odor in flower, that wasn't the case for the one I did, It reeked big time. So even though they say certain strains are mild in flower, you can't always go by that.

I think ya need just come up with a way to make a carbon filter, or buy some that fit furnaces the carbon ones and you can customize it a bit to work with your fans and that should help at-least some.

Last edited:
think about it this way, for cost of several jars of ona you can buy a 4" carbon scrubber & fan combo on ebay get maybe an open-box deal or something for approx 60-75$ maybe even cheaper, I think I paid like 85 for my 6" that was open box deal that way you can get a good inline fan that is low noise as well. Even brand new I doubt a 4" scrubber combo would cost 100$ probably less, a 6" I know you can find on there for like 100-125$... actually the 4" carbon filters sell for about 20-25$ new, then you just need 4" fan even a cheapy 4" inline fan will work, that you can easily get for under 20$ as well, then need router like 15$ & some 4" ducting 10$, thats pretty cheap setup for your safety and will work just fine. Personally I'd go with with a decent inline fan, since them run a lot and are known to make some noise, ventech is good thats what I use, I have also used ipower filters. power consumption is low on 4" inline fan probably 50w or so, My 6" is 125w

Last edited:
Back