State of AFN 2021

With all the people that post links to products on Amazon, is it possible for AFN to get a storefront or whatever it is that you get $$ when someone clicks or buys something from the link?
My friend has something similar on his news site he owns. When someone clicks, and orders from that link he gets a % of that sale. He does pretty well with that. Don’t know all the ins and outs but it works for him and his site…
Sounds like there's an add-on for XenForo (link) that will add a site's Amazon Affiliate ID to any amazon links posted by users.

It also sounds like the Amazon Affiliates program allows affiliate linking from forum sites in general, but only by the owner of the site and people / admins sometimes run into issues proving they own the site, etc (XenForo discussion here).

It's a bit of a tough one and I don't envy the final decision maker but I'm happy with both a few banners and keeping the GoFundMe open at the same time, it's better that we can go and throw 25 bucks at it when we can, than having a monthly subscription anyway IMO
If some of the regular active vendors bought a small banner it wouldn't look all that intrusive on the site as they are quite visible to the most regular user anyway.

I think the response from the community has been outstanding. Why sell out to companies if we can all chip in and keep it going. The go fund me banner is great, generated a strong response from alot of people who love AFN and the welcoming, friendly place it is.
For me it's like home.
Cheers
EP3

Very interesting, people don't realise the amount of work and cost that goes into running a website and cost of servers I use to run a torrent site back in the day :headbang: lol anyway I'm new to "gardening" started this year joined a few sites , diary, help and only found this site a few weeks ago and already found myself logging in several times a day and sort of don't bother with the rest much so already I find myself saying yes this site is definitely worth donating to and will send a little ££ next pay day , I also see no problem with a banner to get revenue maybe a donate £10 a month to remove banner maybe a option like I say I'm very new here so not sure how it all works properly yet , also as said a few time why not get some of thease companies to pay Towards so of the cost I've already found mephisto because of this site and what I've read and made a first perches today :yay: so they definitely gain from this great community so why not , anyway another thing I was thinking maybe it's not allowed I'm not sure but what about some sort of seed raffle, all the breader give some of their best seeds all into 1 big raffle so maybe a raffle number will cost £20 and you could be getting £200+ worth of seeds BARGAIN so 100 tickets at £20 each = server paid for anyway just a few thoughts as I sit smoking orange sherbet lol love the site guys pleasure to be a member :)

Very interesting, people don't realise the amount of work and cost that goes into running a website and cost of servers I use to run a torrent site back in the day :headbang: lol anyway I'm new to "gardening" started this year joined a few sites , diary, help and only found this site a few weeks ago and already found myself logging in several times a day and sort of don't bother with the rest much so already I find myself saying yes this site is definitely worth donating to and will send a little ££ next pay day , I also see no problem with a banner to get revenue maybe a donate £10 a month to remove banner maybe a option like I say I'm very new here so not sure how it all works properly yet , also as said a few time why not get some of thease companies to pay Towards so of the cost I've already found mephisto because of this site and what I've read and made a first perches today :yay: so they definitely gain from this great community so why not , anyway another thing I was thinking maybe it's not allowed I'm not sure but what about some sort of seed raffle, all the breader give some of their best seeds all into 1 big raffle so maybe a raffle number will cost £20 and you could be getting £200+ worth of seeds BARGAIN so 100 tickets at £20 each = server paid for anyway just a few thoughts as I sit smoking orange sherbet lol love the site guys pleasure to be a member :)
All good ideas. I find this place gives honest advice on stuff and reviews. Personally feel that the fact it is community funded gives me reassurance that information is honest and reliable, not due to investment or commitments for sponsors. The Internet is a mine field of information most of it contradictory. Here I get honest opinions and information I trust about products because nobody is in anyone's back pocket.
Peace
EP3

I always give back and did a few months ago. I do think AFN should leverage referral’s to other site’s doing e-commerce. This is where all my research starts or finishes when selecting any new product for my annual garden. So I see no conflict of interest in referring $$ unless it’s tied to paid ads on the site.

I can vouch that sponsors never really dictated what went on around here. Most opinions were honest, even if it got us in trouble with vendors. There was a time where monetary things were a driving fore but we didn't want to make a nascar website. I really respect the community drive to fund the site.

Back