New Grower SPZ's Mephisto Triple Automatic Redux

First off a report that res was at 6.3 so it climbed another 0.2 points. I've totally disabled the pump so this is pump free test. I've been doing some reading on the topic here, are some thoughts...

This was the best guide I could find for the acceptable pH range in hydro:
  • between 5.5 and 5.8 perfect
  • between 5.3 and 6.5 good
  • between 5.0 and 7.0 acceptable
  • below 4.5 and above 8.0 disrupted absorption of nutrients
  • below 3.5 and above 9.0 irreversible damage to the roots
Here is a chart of nutrient availability:

hydroponics-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg

One thing I've read is that since different nutrients are most available at different pH levels it is actually a good thing for the pH to drift through a range so that different nutrients are absorbed. Like @Nosias said 5.8 is just a target, there's actually a whole range. Numerous sites advise against continually trying to adjust the pH by adding more ph down or whatever, as too much of that raises the EC of the solution and can also cause nutrient lockout.

Another thing I've been reading is that the AN nutrients (like most non-organic nutrient lines) are chelated so that the nutrients are available at a wider pH range.

There's some food for thought. I'll continue to monitor the res and read up on this. For now I will not adjust the pH but just record the measurements and watch the plants.

Man you are good and detailed. Yes these are great traits in other people. Down with pumps in the reservoir up with FULL TENT full tent

Here were some words I copied from Here. For what it's worth. This applies to Auto Pots...............
"One thing I'll say with the AN pH perfect nutes I strongly feel it's just best to put away your pH meter and just let them do their thing, from what I've seen the people who are still checking and trying to adjust their feeds are the ones who seem to have issues with these nutes... just my 2 cents bro" unknown grower........

The pump can affect the PH if it is always on at a "relative" middle to high flow rate. I am remembering that the flow should only slightly, ripple the surface. You are now putting it on a timer with a short time frame. Good that should help it stay in a "range" since it needs to act like cattle and wander the range to be happy. Different nutrients need a variance in PH to be absorbed. They all do not require 5.8. that is the low end so it can go higher.

Now all that I said is what I have read here at ATF. But heaven knows I error and not know what I am saying. Then again "Im an alright guy"

My experience with pumps was full open and if I control my room temps, no prob after the first day or so

I've been measuring the pH every day and watching the reservoir drain slowly. I've kept a log of my pH readings so I'm able to chart my findings so far

chart(1).png

The submersible pump run had a solution of Sensi Grow A/B 1.5ml/L, ProSilicate .5ml/L, and CaliMagic 1.25ml/L, whereas the no pump run was bumped up to 2ml/L grow nutes, so that could make a difference as well. I may try some other pump configurations and add more data to this, but from those trend lines it looks like the pump probably does not make much difference.

Last edited:
My experience with pumps was full open and if I control my room temps, no prob after the first day or so

Good to see you, thanks for the input, man. I like your avatar, need a computer like that in the office.

"One thing I'll say with the AN pH perfect nutes I strongly feel it's just best to put away your pH meter and just let them do their thing, from what I've seen the people who are still checking and trying to adjust their feeds are the ones who seem to have issues with these nutes... just my 2 cents bro" unknown grower........

One thing I have observed is that the plants are growing great regardless of the pH in the res, so I think there is something to this.

FULL TENT FULL TENT :tang:

I've been measuring the pH every day and watching the reservoir drain slowly. I've kept a log of my pH readings so I'm able to chart my findings so far

View attachment 797337
The submersible pump run had a solution of Sensi Grow A/B 1.5ml/L, ProSilicate .5ml/L, and CaliMagic 1.25ml/L, whereas the no pump run was bumped up to 2ml/L grow nutes, so that could make a difference as well. I may try some other pump configurations and add more data to this, but from those trend lines it looks like the pump probably does not make much difference.
Good report........I know you just love making these charts :pighug:

One thing I have observed is that the plants are growing great regardless of the pH in the res, so I think there is something to this.

FULL TENT FULL TENT :tang:

I know there will be two FULL TENT/s). Keep up the great grow.

:growing: :growing:

I know there will be two FULL TENT/s). Keep up the great grow.

Thanks for the :vibes:

You were smart to opt for a bigger tent, Nosias. I am starting to have concerns that mine are not going to fit :nono:

Back