Lighting So it begins, the DIY COB addiction

Hows your light doing? How many watts are pushing through yours?
Obviously I haven't posted pictures but I can.
I crossed Mephisto's double grape with dinafems blueberry amnesia XXL. Stongest hardest hitting autos I've grown yet, will literally make you stoned retarded and will induce 1-2 hour naps. Started them under the 1212's but they finished under my Amare 450's 15.5 oz off 3 plants my best total out of 3 plants yet.
I'll post pictures of the ladies under the 1818's, they will stay there till harvest. 300 watts appears to be plenty for a 4 x 4 area
I'll tag ya in the new grow broth check it out!! specs are in the build pics
And Oh MY God that sounds like a AMAZING cross dude! wish I could smoke some of that shit!! I'm on my phone now so sorry for the quick reply

I sheered and bent some more angle aluminum this week and cut out some boxes with a plasma cutter to bend . Think I'm going with more 1818's. Their efficiency at 75 watts is pretty good, I don't think more than 300 watts per 4 x 4 is needed. Find out soon enough as the skunks develop more.
Hey iampepe! Everything's lookin AWESOME, and glad to see the Ladies are enjoying their new Home! I'm gonna be putting together my 1818's next week for a new 4x4 that's for my first grow!
Delighted to hear you think lights are Rockinit. Could you tell me at what distance you started the lights at and where ya have them now? I think down the road i'm gonna get one of BigSm0's AutoCobs to fill the the center and have some versatility to.

Hey iampepe! Everything's lookin AWESOME, and glad to see the Ladies are enjoying their new Home! I'm gonna be putting together my 1818's next week for a new 4x4 that's for my first grow!
Delighted to hear you think lights are Rockinit. Could you tell me at what distance you started the lights at and where ya have them now? I think down the road i'm gonna get one of BigSm0's AutoCobs to fill the the center and have some versatility to.
Wow a DIY cob light for your first grow, that's awesome bro! Doing it right from the get go.... :pass: If you do a journal, tag me in it please. I started them at 36" from the top of the pot. I do have a couple of other plants under it, a Toothless alien and a couple Ripley's OG's. The ripley's are the same age as the skunks, the alien is a bit older and taller, moved the light up 4 inches for her. So they have been at about 40" from the pot for the past couple weeks. What I have been doing is setting the light and letting the plants grow into it. As soon as I see a little light stress (top leaves start to form the shape of a canoe) I'll move it up a few inches.
Good luck with you build and happy growing! :vibe:

Awesome work in here dude, even bending your own angle :cheers:

I used to do some sheet metal work, on aviation cargo containers. I want your shop brother!

Are you stateside or europe mate?
Thank you :coffee: Time to make some coffee...
I have a laser I could use to make parts and I may at some point It's just cheaper to sheer and bend some angle aluminum for a frame, they may not look pretty but it's quite effective. That's all that matters to me at the moment.
I'm in the states.

Thanks for the valuable info there iampepe, I'll be running mine at 1400 too, so this really a fantastic opportunity to watch, learn and enjoy! Thanks for burnin one with me pepe...DAS some GOOD SHIIIT, grow that yerself?lol I'll tag ya, like to have you along!

Just caught up on your builds @iampepe , awesome job sir :slap: :toke: nice and clean finish... i do love the little junction box you have made, I've just spent 3 days looking for the right size project boxes for my next build ... I so wish i had access to some your shop tools.
Should be getting my next build underway tonight, most stuff turned up in the post today. I've got 3 x 1212 at 3500k, load of 3w Reds at 640-660nm, far reds, UV's and and few blues (I've been watch to much growmou5 on youtube). This is going to be fun build to wire... I shall tag ya in the thread when the build starts

Thanks for the valuable info there iampepe, I'll be running mine at 1400 too, so this really a fantastic opportunity to watch, learn and enjoy! Thanks for burnin one with me pepe...DAS some GOOD SHIIIT, grow that yerself?lol I'll tag ya, like to have you along!
Thank you sir, looking forward to ur build n grow. Good luck n happy growin! :smoking:
Just caught up on your builds @iampepe , awesome job sir :slap: :toke: nice and clean finish... i do love the little junction box you have made, I've just spent 3 days looking for the right size project boxes for my next build ... I so wish i had access to some your shop tools.
Should be getting my next build underway tonight, most stuff turned up in the post today. I've got 3 x 1212 at 3500k, load of 3w Reds at 640-660nm, far reds, UV's and and few blues (I've been watch to much growmou5 on youtube). This is going to be fun build to wire... I shall tag ya in the thread when the build starts
Thanks Slater:pass:
The like bomb master.. lol :pass:lets let the smoke clear out....
Ive thought about adding additional led's, havent done so yet. How many will u wire up with ur 1212's? I May try using an old mars and strap some cobs to it, call it the jet pack upgrade.

Thank you sir, looking forward to ur build n grow. Good luck n happy growin! :smoking:

Thanks Slater:pass:
The like bomb master.. lol :pass:lets let the smoke clear out....
Ive thought about adding additional led's, havent done so yet. How many will u wire up with ur 1212's? I May try using an old mars and strap some cobs to it, call it the jet pack upgrade.

I was think that, building my mars into the design but decided to sell it in the end. This new light is an experiment before I up grade the main tent light (again). Its for my 3x4x4 tent. I'm basing the ideas on the Canpony 10 by growmau5 (calling it the umbrella 3 by slater). To add to the 1212's I'm using 3w epiled. Did want to use the 5w cree's but could find them in the UK, going to save them for the main tent up grade if I'm having to ship them in from the states.
Driving the 1212's at 1050ma (hlg-120h-c1050b)
8 x red (640-660nm),
4 x Far red (740-745nm),
3 x UV (380-390nm)
3 x 1212's
Driving the 3w at 650ma.

I'm not sure on the frame build yet, was gonna do something like growmau5 did awhile back for a 4-5 light setup but like the looks of yours better I think. What size footprint are you figuring the 18's have
to use the 28" frame? I may or may not add something in the center down the road depending on how everyone is feeling about their grows with 4 in a 4x4. That's one reason I'm hoping you're really pleased with the outcome. Planned on growing one under each light, do you feel a fifth could go start to finish in the middle?

Last edited:
I'm not sure on the frame build yet, was gonna do something like growmau5 did awhile back for a 4-5 light setup but like the looks of yours better I think. What size footprint are you figuring the 18's have
to use the 28" frame? I may or may not add something in the center down the road depending on how everyone is feeling about their grows with 4 in a 4x4. That's one reason I'm hoping you're really pleased with the outcome. Planned on growing one under each light, do you feel a fifth could go start to finish in the middle?
2 x 2 for each light
I think my cobs are spaced 22" apart. They appear to be doing really well.
I'll get some pictures, think i took one last night. The plants are stretching nicely right now.

Back