Simultaneous signs of Burn & Deficiency?

Are you using the whole line - what are you putting in the pot don't keep it a secret :crying:

Oh, sorry - I got it now. :D

I have been following their nute schedule but have flip flopped a little on dosages:
1600022449670.png

I started feeding towards the end of week 2 and gave their full recommended dose of their week 1 veg schedule.

For the next couple weeks, I followed their schedule pretty much to the letter; interspersing a pure RO watering between a single full strength watering each week. They were each getting about 16 oz. per watering at that point.

On week 4, I gave a half dose of their week 3 veg nutes followed by a pure RO watering.

In week 5, I gave their full dose of week 4 veg nutes followed by a pure RO watering because I had started to observe yellowing in lower leaves that looked like Nitrogen deficiency.

Last Friday, I started with their week 1 flowering schedule at half strength and a half dose of cal mag from General Hydro. I was thinking I would repeat this on their next watering (minus the calmag) and take the runoff PPM readings Proph recommended to try and validate whether this is lockout or pure deficiency.

Ok as mentioned before do not run pure RO water as it will strip the ions from the soil to reach a balance. I would add 50 PPM of cal-mag for water only days.

Like it says in the instructions the different products are not optional. You need to use all of them in the ratios provided Leaving anything out can lead to an imbalance and lock-outs. So still do the flush but do it with 50% strength Prescription Blend nutrients PH 6.4 to 50% run-off.

Fantastic information again @Proph ..what nutrient line was you using before you delved into organic?
I've used them ALLLLLL, lol. You name it, I bought it, and probably still have it, lol. I think it's part of the learning process.

I've used them ALLLLLL, lol. You name it, I bought it, and probably still have it, lol. I think it's part of the learning process.
Lol I hear you there..up next for me is Dutch Passion Hardwater autoflower ..keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks, folks. This is great stuff! I really appreciate the sanity check.

@Proph - I had been checking PPM of my feeds but never once took PPM of runoff. That is a great idea, and I will do this. Also, unfortunately for some reason I did not document my PPM of the last feed - which was the first time I gave the calmag. The feed before that was at 410 ppm ,and all its predecessors were there or below. (I was going by the Rx Blends guidelines on their feeding schedule)

The last feeding should've been pretty similar, but it did have that calmag half dose in there on top of the half dose of flower nutes; so probably a bit higher. Also, I can appreciate what you're saying about calmag and I believe Waira also mentioned that they never needed to use additional calmag on top of the Rx Blend nutes.

It sounds like my best course of action would be to record PPM going in on the next feed (Probably tomorrow based on moisture levels) - and then take runoff to validate that it is indeed lower and not higher.

Thanks again!

400ppm should be decent enough to feed the plants well. Once a week? That may not be often enough. The most common canna feed schedule is feed, plain water, plain water, feed. Feeding 2-3 times a week is more suitable. I remember when we did the big test thread for the Rx brand. I remember seeing a few growers plants that looked very similar to yours, as if the nutrient line was lacking something. I think k that was a topic of discussion during the test. If the run off ppm is in the 3-500 range then that will kind of point us towards that possibility.

Last edited:
Lol I hear you there..up next for me is Dutch Passion Hardwater autoflower ..keeping my fingers crossed!
Dutch Pro? We did a test on that here on site. It works really well. The ph is weird tho. I always had to raise the ph after mixing. It sits at like 4.5 when mixed. We never got that figured out. But once you raise it into range, it works great. It's what I use when I grow in small containers (1 gal pots or smaller)

Dutch Pro? We did a test on that here on site. It works really well. The ph is weird tho. I always had to raise the ph after mixing. It sits at like 4.5 when mixed. We never got that figured out. But once you raise it into range, it works great. It's what I use when I grow in small containers (1 gal pots or smaller)
Yep sorry Dutch Pro..and hmm that does sound odd, not sure I like the idea of raising the PH by that significant amount each feed..I'll have a ponder on that.

Cheers for the info Proph and apologies to the OP for the thread hijack!

@Silver - No worries, mate! I have been reading a lot of Proph's organic advice in anticipation of making the move myself. This is all interesting to me.

@Proph - I followed your advice. First off, PPM going on for today's feed (Another half dose of week 1 flower nutes from Rx Blend) was 480ppm.

I gave each about 1/4 gal; but gave the one showing the biggest strain a little extra. I watered to runoff (Maybe 1/4 cup in tray) with a sprayer and dumped that directly into a cup. It's coming out at 1050ppm! This seems to suggest lockout after all. Would you agree? If so, I assume I need to flush this poor gal out? I am thinking I will spot check one other while I have some runoff in order to see if this is widespread or localized to this one.

Thanks again for your help!

@Silver - No worries, mate! I have been reading a lot of Proph's organic advice in anticipation of making the move myself. This is all interesting to me.

@Proph - I followed your advice. First off, PPM going on for today's feed (Another half dose of week 1 flower nutes from Rx Blend) was 480ppm.

I gave each about 1/4 gal; but gave the one showing the biggest strain a little extra. I watered to runoff (Maybe 1/4 cup in tray) with a sprayer and dumped that directly into a cup. It's coming out at 1050ppm! This seems to suggest lockout after all. Would you agree? If so, I assume I need to flush this poor gal out? I am thinking I will spot check one other while I have some runoff in order to see if this is widespread or localized to this one.

Thanks again for your help!
I'd say for autos, anything over 7-800 is a red flag. So 1000+ is definitely a concern. Not sure how that happens if you are only feeding once a week at 400-500 ppms. It feels like the soil is alive/active with microbes that are making more nutrients available. Are you also using the Precursor product? But I would consider a flush to get the ppms down in the 4-500 range.

I'd say for autos, anything over 7-800 is a red flag. So 1000+ is definitely a concern. Not sure how that happens if you are only feeding once a week at 400-500 ppms. It feels like the soil is alive/active with microbes that are making more nutrients available. Are you also using the Precursor product? But I would consider a flush to get the ppms down in the 4-500 range.

I did give a full veg nutes feeding on 9/6, which does seem to be about the time a lot of this kicked off. Symptoms and poor color really spread a couple days after. I have indeed been using percursor. In all cases, I've been using all the recommended components and proportions. I just flip flopped a little bit there with the half and full doses.

Quick edit: (Sorry, just now thinking of this) - I did add myco early on. Haven't treated any of them with any more of that since seedling stage, but figure it's worth mention. That's the only other thing I've added besides those couple half doses of calmagic.

It seems like a flush is in the works regardless. I've cranked out a bunch more RO water today. Sounds like my best bet is half strength Rx Blend feed in RO for the flush?

Thanks!

Back