Outdoor Semi-auto \ extremely sensitive strains for northern growers

I grew Early Maroc from Philosopher Seeds for the third summer in Southern Ontario Canada (45 north). Started 4 plants early indoors April 5- 20. I stagger them so I don't have so much to trim all at the same time. One of them finished end of August, the others were into Mid to late September. The August finisher was one of my late starters. Used 10 and 20 gallon pots. and the early finisher yielded 500 gms in a 20 gallon fabric pot. the others were 575, 600 and 700 gms. I crossed one branch of the early finisher with a Jamaican Blueberry, also from Philosopher Seeds Only started the one and it turned out to be a male. Got lots of seeds and I'm looking forward to next season. I'll be starting them earlier next year, maybe end of March. We are allowed to legally grow 4 plants here now. The smoke is super smooth and potent, but the best thing is it has almost no odor even when in heavy bud.

I grew Early Maroc from Philosopher Seeds for the third summer in Southern Ontario Canada (45 north). Started 4 plants early indoors April 5- 20. I stagger them so I don't have so much to trim all at the same time. One of them finished end of August, the others were into Mid to late September. The August finisher was one of my late starters. Used 10 and 20 gallon pots. and the early finisher yielded 500 gms in a 20 gallon fabric pot. the others were 575, 600 and 700 gms. I crossed one branch of the early finisher with a Jamaican Blueberry, also from Philosopher Seeds Only started the one and it turned out to be a male. Got lots of seeds and I'm looking forward to next season. I'll be starting them earlier next year, maybe end of March. We are allowed to legally grow 4 plants here now. The smoke is super smooth and potent, but the best thing is it has almost no odor even when in heavy bud.

Just so you know...staggering the start times will have zero impact when a photoperiod plant will finish. That all comes down to genetics when there is enough darkness versus daylight for flower to trigger. Nice yields!

Last edited:
Yeah, at 50N and further south it can be harsh, but also very doable to grow outdoor.

When you cross 55N it all changes though, in my parts the temperature isn't the problem, but it is the moisture.

All of September are basically rainy days, and I am talking proper rainy days 20+ days in a row with 30-50mm downpour and no sun.

No autos get through that, and even the Danish and Finnish strains are pheno dependent when it comes to going to October without moulding away. This is why they are often very airy and got whispy looking buds much like the wild tropical sativas. A dense bud structure would be death around these parts.

This is a Purple Passion from Thyleiren, which is a collective of free spirits towards the North of Denmark. It has been grown from the same stock in Denmark since the 1970's, original stock is believed to be Dutch. Sativa, gets to 2-3 meters and yields well:

MG_7120600x600-2.jpg

Thy Indie, also grown in the Thy camp since early 70's. Mostly indica but sadly not the most mould resistant (compared to other Scandinavian strains that is, it is helluvah resistant compared to your average strain):

MG_7125-600x600-2.jpg

Frej, indica dominant medium sized plant. Grown all around Thy since the 70's so it is IBL like the previous two. One I always wanted to try.

MG_7108-2.jpg

Look at the nearly identical structure of the bud, that is due to selection for 30-40 years. It isn't fun when you put it on the scale, but you will thank Odin when the rain comes pouring.

Later I might do a writeup about the father\soon team Dyr and Tanska who has done giant open polinations for many years. Most often they just leave the plants outdoors with seed, and the next autumn the hardy seeds germinate and go on with their own thing.

That Purple Passion is a beaut. Do you know if there are hemp genetics in these Dutch strains to add hardiness?

No, it is not.

For some reason the pot culture in Denmark started really early, like late 50's. People travelled and smuggled, brought seeds and communicated with the Dutch who were already growing outdoors. And you got a whole culture for preserving a specific line for many people, and seeds are literally given away and sold very cheaply. There are like 3-4 lines atleast of each Danish strain going around in Denmark, you have to find the right one.

No, it is not.

For some reason the pot culture in Denmark started really early, like late 50's. People travelled and smuggled, brought seeds and communicated with the Dutch who were already growing outdoors. And you got a whole culture for preserving a specific line for many people, and seeds are literally given away and sold very cheaply. There are like 3-4 lines atleast of each Danish strain going around in Denmark, you have to find the right one.

That's interesting, people in Southern Oregon bitch about mold and bud rot. I can't even imagine trying to grow in Denmark. I've lived in Northern California and Southern Oregon most of my life so I've been spoiled with bud quality.

That's interesting, people in Southern Oregon bitch about mold and bud rot. I can't even imagine trying to grow in Denmark. I've lived in Northern California and Southern Oregon most of my life so I've been spoiled with bud quality.

Yes, it is fascinating. There are probably like 8-12 IBL lines in Denmark. When you think about their size and latitude that is impressive.

But to be fair they have pretty good summers, and some of them don't harvest before late october. It is when you get up to 60N things get complicated and you need to hand pick genes and use root restriction.

Back