New Grower Round 2

Here’s what I would do. Get your final pots ready. Water them til runoff, not a crazy runoff just a little. Drop your seeds in the final pot, don’t use domes and use a spray bottle to keep the top damp. Don’t use paper towels or soak seeds. Drop them directly in the pot. I’m newish and this works for me every time. I use a spray bottle the first couple weeks.

I’ve actually used that miracle gro perlite before and didn’t have any issues. It was all I could get last second so I ran with it. But I’m curious why you’re starting in coco?

If you're having trouble with germination, have you tried soaking them in a shotglass of water? If nothing else it lets you see which seeds are viable. They should split open and have a tail sticking out in 24-48hours. I shotglass mine with tap water and set it on our router to stay warm.
Haha that's a tried and true method. That's almost exactly what I do. But after I soak in a shot glass of distilled water until they sink 18-24 hours then I put them in between some moist paper towels between 2 glass plates. I didn't store those seedsman beans correctly at first. They were my very first purchase and I let them sit in in my safe for a year before I started to put em in a Mason jar in the fridge.

I’ve actually used that miracle gro perlite before and didn’t have any issues. It was all I could get last second so I ran with it. But I’m curious why you’re starting in coco?
Because that seemed the easiest choice for me. I wanted to be able to water once a day and get better results than soil. Its not the coco that messed me up it was not doing it correctly and over thinking it. Honestly I think if I would have tried soil I would have done worse by over watering. I am very meticulous and I think I don't have the patience right now for soil. Maybe I should have just done some Stonington blend but I didn't so this is what I am rolling with. I don't have the cash to start over, so I will use up the rest of this Canna Coco and we will see from there. Thank you for the input.

Last edited:
Here’s what I would do. Get your final pots ready. Water them til runoff, not a crazy runoff just a little. Drop your seeds in the final pot, don’t use domes and use a spray bottle to keep the top damp. Don’t use paper towels or soak seeds. Drop them directly in the pot. I’m newish and this works for me every time. I use a spray bottle the first couple weeks.
Yea that seems to work better for me. I started these in their final pots and I got a 80%germination rate. I can't get them to break soil in solos
16588956429182678396908211717186.jpg

Because that seemed the easiest choice for me. I wanted to be able to water once a day and get better results than soil. Its not the coco that messed me up it was not doing it correctly and over thinking it. Honestly I think if I would have tried soil I would have done worse.
Soil is the easiest way to grow. Hands down. Especially for new growers. You can dumb it down so much you can feed every 2 weeks and water every 48-72 hours. Only thing you have to really do is ph your water.

Soil is the easiest way to grow. Hands down. Especially for new growers. You can dumb it down so much you can feed every 2 weeks and water every 48-72 hours. Only thing you have to really do is ph your water.
So you think that those plants in the picture would have rebounded like they have if I had grown in soil? Lmk maybe I will try a soil run.Check my other thread out look at the before pictures and then how they look now.

Last edited:
Haha that's a tried and true method. That's almost exactly what I do. But after I soak in a shot glass of distilled water until they sink 18-24 hours then I put them in between some moist paper towels between 2 glass plates. I didn't store those seedsman beans correctly at first. They were my very first purchase and I let them sit in in my safe for a year before I started to put em in a Mason jar in the fridge.

I may see your problem, when I place my seeds in the paper towel I put that paper towel into an empty dvd case and then place that in warm spot in my veg room. I have different spots depending on the time of year and temperature of the veg room.

Those glass plates you use are cold a would take time to heat up to a temperature the sprouting seeds would prefer. They love it a little warm and snug.
It's just a theory but I think those plates may be what giving you your germination problems. They just to cold for some.
A plastic tuperware would do you better in dark draw or cupboard.

Also do you know how old the seeds are, if they are 3 + years old germination rates will start to fail. I've had some spectacular fails with some pricey ish seeds that are just to old. That's the chance you take with stuff on sale.

Stick with a method, paper towel, plugs or straight into the soil and perfect it for your environment. They no wrong way just your way.

Vader OG recently did another germination video recently, sorry if you've already seen it.

Back