Lighting Roleadro 400w conversion

I'd run 1 1212 off each driver, take out the extra drivers and call it a day. Super inexpensive, few wagos, 2 cobs, 2 holders and thermal epoxy.

With the extra drivers pick up some cheap heatsinks and run 2 citi 1212's in series off each extra driver. Much more efficient at 20w per cob vs 40. Or like Pop said upgrade the driver. There is no doubt in my mind 2 citi's would blow that lamp out of the water. Whooooweeeee

CREE CXB3590 3500K 72V
Ok so from the data sheet I read it shows that the 72v cree runs best at 1200mA and to my under standing the factory Roleardo drivers if you use all four (two each) would be perfect for the 72v Crees. Would it be worth the $44 each to use these Cree or would the 1212 be as good for a lot less?

I'd run 1 1212 off each driver, take out the extra drivers and call it a day. Super inexpensive, few wagos, 2 cobs, 2 holders and thermal epoxy.

With the extra drivers pick up some cheap heatsinks and run 2 citi 1212's in series off each extra driver. Much more efficient at 20w per cob vs 40. Or like Pop said upgrade the driver. There is no doubt in my mind 2 citi's would blow that lamp out of the water. Whooooweeeee

@pop22 and @BigSm0 this was the way I was already leaning. Thanks for confirming my initial thoughts. :pass:That leaves 2 spare drivers cause we all know these cheap Chinese drivers won't likely last long. When I'm out of extra drivers I can upgrade to the meanwell.

I already have the 2 northern 95 watt boards in the 2x3x6 cab but would like a little more light. Now off to buy chips.

Dude! Those two boards should blow out that size tent! 2 grams a watt should be easy with the right strain!

@pop22 and @BigSm0 this was the way I was already leaning. Thanks for confirming my initial thoughts. :pass:That leaves 2 spare drivers cause we all know these cheap Chinese drivers won't likely last long. When I'm out of extra drivers I can upgrade to the meanwell.

I already have the 2 northern 95 watt boards in the 2x3x6 cab but would like a little more light. Now off to buy chips.

Dude! Those two boards should blow out that size tent! 2 grams a watt should be easy with the right strain!
Who has two thumbs and is stoned... this guy. :pass: that really didn't come out right. Your right I don't really need more light in there.

Because I have a journal with the Roleadro's I've been asked by several people about them. The main idea behind this build is that at 109 (mine were 99 a few months ago) currently on amazon you get everything you need to start a small led cob op on the cheap. Throw in 2 Citizen 1212's @ another 30 bucks and I think this is a good cheap option for most @ 140ish for a light featuring two high quality cobs.

I really think this is an easy build that could benefit a lot of folks on a tight budget with minimal diy effort. Plus I like the smell of solder fumes in the morning!:rofl: except I will probably use an Ideal 50-2204-CT but you all get the idea...

And since I'm a diy led noob I figured it would be a good idea to call in the experts for back up! @pop22 and @BigSm0 thanks for the assistance :d5: As I dig into this more I'll be sure to tag you two up!

Last edited:
CREE CXB3590 3500K 72V
Ok so from the data sheet I read it shows that the 72v cree runs best at 1200mA and to my under standing the factory Roleardo drivers if you use all four (two each) would be perfect for the 72v Crees. Would it be worth the $44 each to use these Cree or would the 1212 be as good for a lot less?

I don't know bro it seems like it would work. If you decide to take the plunge with them feel free to post up the build here if you want to.:pass:

Last edited:
LOL! I'm all for diy projects! And just to get the info out there, Northern Growlights has an empty 2 COB enclosure for $65 it includes heatsinks,. Add 2 fans, 2 cobs, and that $32 driver and you've spent about the same to build a brand new light! I think they are the only place I know of that you can buy and enclosure!

LOL! I'm all for diy projects! And just to get the info out there, Northern Growlights has an empty 2 COB enclosure for $65 it includes heatsinks,. Add 2 fans, 2 cobs, and that $32 driver and you've spent about the same to build a brand new light! I think they are the only place I know of that you can buy and enclosure!

Good to know. I wasn't aware. They should make you an official spokesman. Lol :pass:

the CRI rating are for human aesthetic value, how natural the light "looks" to the human eye. Also, all ccobs have a spec sheet you can view or download from most of the major resellers. It gives detailed information on efficiency, lm/watt etc, give you an idea of how much light they put out also, temp limits, etc. DIY people should all look at these, helps clarify your choices.

Back