Lighting 400w HPS vs Citizen COB clu048

That Samsung “Sun board” was the name of the strip model I was asking u for! :thumbsup:

I have boards built with Nichia LEDs, a QB 324. Its a nice light but no, the Samsung 561 chips has equal spectrum and better efficiency, and the 301b even more so, otherwise, you'd have seen HLG continue using them. They built them as a lower priced option board that still was superior in quality to the cheap Chinese boards.

here it is in action!

View attachment 1177881

Grow-Lights-High-Lights-UV-Spectrum-e1574175572667.jpg

No mono color diodes, a CRI of 95 and TEKNIK tested the boards at 2.47 umol/J. Real numbers from actual boards. What was that about spectrum and efficiency ?

QB 288 V2 specs gathered from sphere tests. Driven to the max, the Samsung 301 still exceeds the Nichia.

Don't get me wrong, the Nichia are good LEDs and I'd buy a board based on them long before I'd buy one of those Chinese boards that you don't even know for sure what chips are really on them!
People don't realize the amount of time and money that went into developing the HLG QB board. They didn't just slap some chips on a board! They have an extensive thread on RIU that documents their efforts including having their boards sphere tested and have even posted the actual sphere test data as supplied by the testing company. And unlike ALL Chinese QB copies, they spent the money to have the boards UL tested to assure us they are safe.

QB288 R spec.png

Last edited:
Also, CRI is not of importance in growlight. It is a subjective value of color accurcy to the human eye.There is no evidence that higher CRI LEDs grow bigger or better plants or trichcromes.

I could use your help one more time if there’s anyone left around...
got a Kingbrite 288 qb, the light has been awesome. Switched out my 400w mh probably 10 days into 12/12, not the brightest choice I know but it’s done. Ever since then the leaves have wanted to fold on new growth. I ran the first day at almost 100% power, 240w at the wall, and she didn’t like that. Moved it up a few more inches, right now I’m dialed back to 120w and new growth is pointing straight up and ... clumped together? Pics describe it better than I.
008737DE-F72D-4335-87BD-7F9629A23F8B.jpeg
2956DD4D-DFD1-4A65-AC3B-A9C2841693C8.jpeg
DF214D18-0E98-4198-9D50-F6933D7D706B.jpeg

I use 6 clu048 1818 chips with 2 meanwell hlg 185 drivers pulling 400w from the wall. I get better light spread and better efficiency from my 6 cobs than I would with a 400w hps. I also get no heat. I've got a total of 10 cobs in my room running 600w total and all I have is 1 oscillating fan. Temps are never an issue and I live in fl which is literally next door to hell with how hot it gets here

Edit: forgot to mention my cobs are 3000k. I run from veg to flower with 0 issues.

Back