Grow Mediums Rain Science Grow Bags communal test thread

Yeah, for real I’m thinking about getting that take & bake kit that makes 70 gal of soil and starting a bunch of earthboxes. Either that or starting bed :shrug:
Thanks for your input Bill. I have seen some of your results using sips with living soil so I will take this on board
Well, this sip grow hasn't lived up to my expectations, but sure has shown me the potential that can be had in this style of growing. I think my next run will be quite a bit better.........hopefully!

Too breathable? Naaaaaaa............I'd rather have too much than not enough. The only downside is more water usage. A properly set up should extend all the way to the limits of the bag. With a well established cover crop and proper watering helps insure moisture retention and preservation with no dry pockets.

I am interested in his upcoming vid on prepping an EarthBox.
So when I asked about the breathability I was told that if the fabric is to breathable it will cause the sides will go hydrophobic :sad: But I am interested to see if the rain science will work for you. I would definitely have yucca extract or sapinin on hand if you do decide to go ahead and try:goodluck:

Hey everybody, I’m new here! Thought I’d chime in on this topic... Soon i’ll be growing some local Michigan Genetics (Izzys Autos) in 3gal rain science bags with a “coots style” potting mix. I’ll be running two recipes that I make myself to test Izzy’s. It’ll be my first time using a coots mix in Rain Science bags. I’ll be starting on this in about a month and will post updates here and links to my GD account.

So when I asked about the breathability I was told that if the fabric is to breathable it will cause the sides will go hydrophobic :sad: But I am interested to see if the rain science will work for you. I would definitely have yucca extract or sapinin on hand if you do decide to go ahead and try:goodluck:
The rain science bags do go hydrophobic if you let the medium dry out too much in between watering. If you mist the top of the soil and the sides with a fine misting spray bottle before you actually water this actually breaks those hydrophobic spots. Yucca and sopanaria definitely help when added to nutrient mixes. You could use products such as thermx, Nectar for the Gods Yucca extract and Advanced Nutrients Organic Sensizym to help prevent that. If you are starting from scratch adding 1tsp per cubic ft of Yucca powder can also help when using rain science bags. I use a giant syringe to water the soil in my rain science bags, it’s 500ml. I water the top and bottom then spray a stream of water at the side of the bags which gets soaked up immediately. Once I know the soil is soaking the up water I raise the pot onto a grate and water until a get a bit of run off. With rain science bags transpiration is higher so no matter what you are going to be watering twice as much as you would with an average fabric pot but that’s why you can get some massive yields from these things.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I’m new here! Thought I’d chime in on this topic... Soon i’ll be growing some local Michigan Genetics (Izzys Autos) in 3gal rain science bags with a “coots style” potting mix. I’ll be running two recipes that I make myself to test Izzy’s. It’ll be my first time using a coots mix in Rain Science bags. I’ll be starting on this in about a month and will post updates here and links to my GD account.
:welcome:To AFN! I have never heard of Izzy’s auto’s, you’ll definitely have start a grow journal and link it. I love to check out new breeders. I am myself will be playing around with Coots mix as well. I have 70 gal of soil on the way and am super excited to try out some different recipes:chef: Also, there are some very helpful people on this site that are happy to help if you have any questions:jointman::weed:

:welcome:To AFN! I have never heard of Izzy’s auto’s, you’ll definitely have start a grow journal and link it. I love to check out new breeders. I am myself will be playing around with Coots mix as well. I have 70 gal of soil on the way and am super excited to try out some different recipes:chef: Also, there are some very helpful people on this site that are happy to help if you have any questions:jointman::weed:
Hey growmie, thanks for the warm welcome!
I live in MI and didn’t even realize he was around until this year! I try to source as much local products as possible and his genetics looked amazing. Will be interesting to see how a coots mix does in 3gals.. I won’t be running no till in such a small pot just the mix but if I ever go 15gal and up I’ll consider the no-till route again. I’ll post my recipes once I test them and make sure they’re actually viable though!

Hey growmie, thanks for the warm welcome!
I live in MI and didn’t even realize he was around until this year! I try to source as much local products as possible and his genetics looked amazing. Will be interesting to see how a coots mix does in 3gals.. I won’t be running no till in such a small pot just the mix but if I ever go 15gal and up I’ll consider the no-till route again. I’ll post my recipes once I test them and make sure they’re actually viable though!
I’m also in the Midwest. There’s a great grow shop out of Whitmore Lake, MI called grow green MI that I usually shop at. FYI they have great deals on their website. :d5:

I use my rain science for coco (and they are amazing), however if I was going to use soil, I would start with a minimum of 3gal preferably 5

Back