Grow Room Questions about room insulation

OM2

Reaction score
Hi, i need some help and i have some questions for those experienced with insulations or any other type of construction work. I have 0 experience in this matter, and i'm from a non-English speaking country, so i apologize upfront for incorrect terms.

Here is my situation:

- I live in an apartment on first floor, i have a room that's around 30m2 and it's split into two areas, one part is my bedroom and other part is my office/working area/gaming room. This is where i want to place my grow tent.

- I have noisy neighbors above me, it's cold during winter and hard to heat the room, so i want to insulate my ceiling. Also i live next to the ocean so it's pretty humid here.

- I can't insulate the floor above me, i can't knock down any walls or ceilings. So the handyman i called suggested to lower my ceiling and install metal frames, fill the void with glass/mineral wool and cover it with boards (gypsum, knauf, plasterboard, drywall.. i don't know how it's called)
Then finish with mold-resistant primer and paint.

- I can't exhaust the air from the grow tent outside, the air will recycle and i will have to rely on my dehumidifier, AC unit and opening windows everytime i smoke a cigarette which is very often :D
I will provide co2 for the plants since i will spend most of the time in that room.

So my questions are:
- How does that ceiling insulation sound to you?
- Will the glass/mineral wool cause health issues if it's covered with boards and sealed?
- Can humidity go through the insulation and grow mold behind it?
- Should any more materials be added, some kind of vapor barrier?
- Can the wool go directly on naked ceiling or should there be some sort of sheet in between?

I won't do this myself of course, i'm paying someone to help me do this. The handyman seems pretty knowledgable, but the more we go into this the more i question his plan. I just want to have some additional info to correct him if needed. He said that humidity and mold will not be a problem, but then again he doesn't know that i want to grow 3-4 plants inside.

Thanks in advance, maybe i wrote too much details but i want to give you a precise idea of my situation

How cold does it get? I have same situation growing in my bedroom, high humidity area, etc. recently temps have gotten pretty cold, enough to start affecting plants at night with lights off...below 60f - 15C....I ordered a 20" x 48" heat/seedling mat and temp controller to put in bottom of tent which I think will work as heat rises. Should be here in a week or so....I have one in a grow space on porch outside and it has worked quite nicely keeping house plants going with temps dropping into 30's f......might be an option that could work for you and eliminate the need for additional work and/or someone knowing what you are doing.
iPower Durable Waterproof Seeding Heat Mat Warm Hydroponic Pad Plant Starting Kit for Kombucha Tea & Beer Brewing, 48" x 20", Black

Are you venting the tent air outside or recycling?

I'm not sure how cold it gets without heating because i never turn it off, but i use a marble/stone heater which pulls around 800w and it's set to max 30c all day. I struggle to keep the room temp around 22c. That's why i'm insulating my ceiling and installing inverter AC unit, hopefully heating will be cheaper and easier.

Back