Questions on Coco

Currently using floraflex nutes with hydroguard and photosynthesis plus and occasional kelp foliars
Cool deal, thanks for the info. I got a bag of the green leaf nutrients kelp so I might try some foliars with that. I'm trying to avoid using hydroguard since I have straight RO water so I can save some money. If I notice issues I'll grab some, hoping I won't though. My bubble res has ran for a grow and a half now without me cleaning it out and it's still clean as ever. Thinking I have a good setup for the first run. I should be able to tweak it how I want after this.

Cool deal, thanks for the info. I got a bag of the green leaf nutrients kelp so I might try some foliars with that. I'm trying to avoid using hydroguard since I have straight RO water so I can save some money. If I notice issues I'll grab some, hoping I won't though. My bubble res has ran for a grow and a half now without me cleaning it out and it's still clean as ever. Thinking I have a good setup for the first run. I should be able to tweak it how I want after this.
Hydroguard is for the roots, not keeping the system clean. Highly recommend it. I use Greenleaf kelp. You can even spray it with lights on and it won't burn and you don't have to get fancy with measuring it. That bag will last years as a foliar

Okay sounds like I'm pretty similar. I have the jacks 321 and their bloom bag. If I start in the coco or jiffy I don't think I'll need the rapid start or clonex(right?) I have a free sample of dynomyco that I've been wanting to try out, although I thought stuff like that was more no go with hydro? Or does it not matter since it gets applied directly to the medium? Figured the salt ferts would probably kill all off pretty quickly but I'll use it if it'll help.
Regarding "salt ferts would probably kill all [the Dynomyco beneficial fungi] off pretty quickly but I'll use it if it'll help." Salt fertilizers present the roots with nutrient concentrations essentially the same as in fertile soil. Normal hydro/coco-oriented salts-based nutes are not going to kill off commercial fungi surely bred/selected for robustness, ability to survive in media/soil, nor other microbes present.

Even in coco or other inert solid media, there will be microbial life and action in the media. The roots secrete organics, shed dead cells, etc. and support microbial growth on the roots and coco fibers (but nowhere near the levels in living soil). Some grower 'feed' their beneficial microbes carbohydrates/sugars (but I think this is not needed or even appropriate with coco vs. just reinoculating periodically with another dose of microbes).

Hydroguard, presumably its enzymes, does much the same as adding live microbes, breaking down dead plant cells/debris. But the commercial microbial supplements will generally also fix nitrogen and perhaps do other beneficial living cell-based transformations.

Last edited:
Regarding "salt ferts would probably kill all [the Dynomyco beneficial fungi] off pretty quickly but I'll use it if it'll help." Salt fertilizers present the roots with nutrient concentrations essentially the same as in fertile soil. Normal hydro/coco-oriented salts-based nutes are not going to kill off commercial fungi surely bred/selected for robustness, ability to survive in media/soil, nor other microbes present.

Even in coco or other inert solid media, there will be microbial life and action in the media. The roots secrete organics, shed dead cells, etc. and support microbial growth on the roots and coco fibers (but nowhere near the levels in living soil). Some grower 'feed' their beneficial microbes carbohydrates/sugars (but I think this is not needed or even appropriate with coco vs. just reinoculating periodically with another dose of microbes).

Hydroguard, presumably its enzymes, does much the same as adding live microbes, breaking down dead plant cells/debris. But the commercial microbial supplements will generally also fix nitrogen and perhaps do other beneficial living cell-based transformations.
That's good to know! Thank you for all the great info here. I've decided I'm going to pass on the hydroguard unless I run into res issues or get something like root rot(doubtful). Trying to keep all the organics out of the res to avoid biofilm build up. My only plan is to use the jacks 321, GH Ph up/down and some hyclean for salt buildup. Hoping that will keep me sorted for a grow. I don't want to have to break them down half way though to clean them or the res/lines, would rather just do it in between grows really good. If I end up running into issues I'll grab some but for now I'm holding off

I have recharge I could use, I know it has additional stuff in it compared hydroguard like microbe food but wouldn't that essentially be the same then just a different strain? I like the beneficial microbes but I'd rather add those separate the autopot system and do something like add recharge once or twice during the grow fed separate

Okay sounds like I'm pretty similar. I have the jacks 321 and their bloom bag. If I start in the coco or jiffy I don't think I'll need the rapid start or clonex(right?) I have a free sample of dynomyco that I've been wanting to try out, although I thought stuff like that was more no go with hydro? Or does it not matter since it gets applied directly to the medium? Figured the salt ferts would probably kill all off pretty quickly but I'll use it if it'll help.
Your Dynomyco should work fine, I just like adding Myco to my feed.

I have recharge I could use, I know it has additional stuff in it compared hydroguard like microbe food but wouldn't that essentially be the same then just a different strain? I like the beneficial microbes but I'd rather add those separate the autopot system and do something like add recharge once or twice during the grow fed separate
I see no problem using multiple commercial beneficial microbe products. The more diverse, fully relevant (vs. random home-made tea) microbes given the chance to colonize the roots and coco the better (much as soil has very diverse microbe content). Dynomyco contains only mycorrhiza fungi. ReCharge contains a much wider selection of mycorrhiza and bacteria, and also kelp, humic and amino acids, etc. [If have both, use both].

I always use several products throughout a grow, even mixing in the same feed is no problem. For ex., I currently use Advanced Nutrient's new tablets, Voodoo Juice Plus (made for commercial growers market; I break tablets up into appropriate smaller doses of powder), that combines their 3 separate beneficial liquid microbe products (Voodoo Juice, Piranha, Tarantula) and Tribus/Impello, another broad-spectrum product. And contrary to most instructions, I regularly supplement with microbes, such as after initial dosing give low doses once/week, to keep reinoculating the coco/roots with pure cultures.

I see no problem using multiple commercial beneficial microbe products. The more diverse, fully relevant (vs. random home-made tea) microbes given the chance to colonize the roots and coco the better (much as soil has very diverse microbe content). Dynomyco contains only mycorrhiza fungi. ReCharge contains a much wider selection of mycorrhiza and bacteria, and also kelp, humic and amino acids, etc. [If have both, use both].

I always use several products throughout a grow, even mixing in the same feed is no problem. For ex., I currently use Advanced Nutrient's new tablets, Voodoo Juice Plus (made for commercial growers market; I break tablets up into appropriate smaller doses of powder), that combines their 3 separate beneficial liquid microbe products (Voodoo Juice, Piranha, Tarantula) and Tribus/Impello, another broad-spectrum product. And contrary to most instructions, I regularly supplement with microbes, such as after initial dosing give low doses once/week, to keep reinoculating the coco/roots with pure cultures.
Okay nice then I'll use both. It'll be easy to use recharge early on but after I turn the pots on it'll be more difficult. Trying to keep it as simple as possible for the first run and I can expand and add from there.

Back