Questions on Coco

If you happen to look at some of my older grows from years back I did a Keep it simple stupid coco grows with my auto pots and megacrop nutrients. I didn’t do all that just hydrated coco with light nutes, 500ml light nutes at 5 days from sprout, 1L light nutes 10 days from sprout, 1.5L light nutes at 15 days and day 20 reservoir turned on with full strength nutes run till the end. Has worked for me and had biggest yield of almost 3lbs cured off single plant. I’ve now switched to promix in autopots as it’s easier for me to get locally and still run the same way.

If pre-buffered, what is adding cal-mag expected to do? I presume it better to 'buffer' (and also charge with nutrients) new pre-buffered coco pots with base nutrients which are made for this (buffering feed solutions) vs. adding unpredictable cal-mag and potential overfeeding at youngest stages with Ca/Mg.

I presume(?) adding Ca/Mg in solution to pre-buffered coco will just result in that solution retaining much that same concentration/ppm, not any significant altering of the levels of coco-bound ions (Ca/Mg), which is what 'buffering' coco involves. Seems overkill, risky, to add cal-mag to try to 'buffer' pre-buffered coco. If concerned about 'buffering' your feed water (such as to stabilize pH in a reservoir) then add cal-mag to the feeds. Cal-mag solutions and supplementation are not going to 'buffer' the coco (which should be inert, not readily release, not be the plant's source of Ca/Mg vs. getting Ca/Mg from feed solution).

I use bagged Canna coco, do no pre-treatment, just saturate it with ≤1 g/gal. 2-part MegaCrop and transplant seedlings from the ~quart/liter yogurt plastic containers they were each sprouted in. After about 2 weeks, I start feeding full-strength nutes. I essentially never do drain-to-waste, never add cal-mag (have no need); also never even measure pH or ppm much less adjust.
I think many reasons people use coco is because of the level of control and is probably the same reason that some wash buffered coco as well. I think it just depends on the source really and if you trust it or not. I personally go for the better brands so I'm of the same mind set as you and use it as is.

If you happen to look at some of my older grows from years back I did a Keep it simple stupid coco grows with my auto pots and megacrop nutrients. I didn’t do all that just hydrated coco with light nutes, 500ml light nutes at 5 days from sprout, 1L light nutes 10 days from sprout, 1.5L light nutes at 15 days and day 20 reservoir turned on with full strength nutes run till the end. Has worked for me and had biggest yield of almost 3lbs cured off single plant. I’ve now switched to promix in autopots as it’s easier for me to get locally and still run the same way.
I'll definitely have to check those out! They sound very similar to what I'll be doing. Trying to keep it as simple as possible on this.

Sorry haven’t been around much here with health issues and surgeries. But Cannacoco was first brand I ran and have tried a few others over the years all are about the same if from a trusted brand. If using RO water might have to add Calmag. I’m using well water and Greenleaf Nutrients Megacrop with no added Calmag. Just some random pics from previous grows. Don’t overthink it and you’ll do great

IMG_2042.jpeg
IMG_2036.jpeg
IMG_9714.jpeg
IMG_9625.jpeg
IMG_9542.jpeg
IMG_9410.jpeg
IMG_9277.jpeg

Thanks for all the tips man! They help a bunch and are much appreciated. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I get going and have a bunch more questions. You got me tossing around the rockwool starter idea now lol. What extras do you use when you start it? I had a rapid root bottle of rapid root that I threw away when I moved that I'm kicking myself for now :cuss:

And cool deal I love my BlueLab pens so those should work great. I completely get it for the 6 res's lol I was able to get a bluelab ph doser today open box on eBay for like half the price, I could not justify one at full cost so I lucked out with that. It's the wifi one so it should help reduce the number of times I have to go in there.
Base N-P-K is General Hydroponics FloraNova grow, and also supplement with General Hydroponics Rapid Start, GH Floralicious, Clonex Solution and Mycos

Base N-P-K is General Hydroponics FloraNova grow, and also supplement with General Hydroponics Rapid Start, GH Floralicious, Clonex Solution and Mycos
Okay sounds like I'm pretty similar. I have the jacks 321 and their bloom bag. If I start in the coco or jiffy I don't think I'll need the rapid start or clonex(right?) I have a free sample of dynomyco that I've been wanting to try out, although I thought stuff like that was more no go with hydro? Or does it not matter since it gets applied directly to the medium? Figured the salt ferts would probably kill all off pretty quickly but I'll use it if it'll help.

I have a free sample of dynomyco that I've been wanting to try out, although I thought stuff like that was more no go with hydro?
I use dynomyco in my coco. Just dig a big handful out of the middle of the pot and mix it in with that

I use dynomyco in my coco. Just dig a big handful out of the middle of the pot and mix it in with that
Cool deal I'll give it a try! Heard good things about it from the test they did here awhile back.

Reactions: JP1
Sorry haven’t been around much here with health issues and surgeries. But Cannacoco was first brand I ran and have tried a few others over the years all are about the same if from a trusted brand. If using RO water might have to add Calmag. I’m using well water and Greenleaf Nutrients Megacrop with no added Calmag. Just some random pics from previous grows. Don’t overthink it and you’ll do great

View attachment 1701453View attachment 1701454View attachment 1701455View attachment 1701456View attachment 1701457View attachment 1701458View attachment 1701459
I like your clothes line clip execution. 🤟

Back