Lighting Quantum board thread.

@Slater great to have you back bro simple as that and if you did not go anywhere I have been eating heavy GG#4 Sticky monkey chocolates lmao.

@Slater great to have you back bro simple as that and if you did not go anywhere I have been eating heavy GG#4 Sticky monkey chocolates lmao.

Morning F.N :pass:... its the school holidays so the rug rats are tearing the house up and we are getting ready to move house... roll on September, I'm gonna have new G'room to build :d5:

Morning F.N :pass:... its the school holidays so the rug rats are tearing the house up and we are getting ready to move house... roll on September, I'm gonna have new G'room to build :d5:
Oh my the grow room build. You plan on going Quantum/Cob for lighting ?

Oh my the grow room build. You plan on going Quantum/Cob for lighting ?

it's going to be mix of my original builds with the sanlights q6w's until I have the funds to upgrade... down the line I plan to get rid of all my citizen cobs and replace with chiltech pucs by growmaus

I do a have small up grade to do with some more HLG's 660 strips @ 80w. will be adding to 2 of my QB v1 to bring them up to spec... since adding them to my other rig, huge difference in bud size, I would say it adding near on a couple of oz the space now

Ordering my first QB today thanks alot for the great info on the thread guys!
i think i'm going to go with the https://niemiled.com/product/rspec-...row-light-powered-with-samsung-lm301b-diodes/
and put two autos under her to see what we can do. still a total noob but i'm going to have this in a 48"x48"x80" tent and have my other auto under my cob.
never really thought i'd be this pumped about getting a light lmao hopefully niemi is a good choice.

Hey everyone!

I would like to apologize in advance as I'm sure you get this type of question in this thread alot. But after trying to do some reading my head exploded from this thread. :sadcry: :frowny::confused1:I'll be honest and say most of the info went over my head and I couldnt really compute it. So I do have some noobie questions and sorry if this has already been answered.

1. From my understanding(which isnt much) QBs are now the "best" and out performs autocobs?
2. I noticed when searching some of these boards come with "deep red" chips(not sure if using the right terminology) are those better than regular qb's?
3. Do qb's produced alot of heat?
4. Lastly, for a 4x4 could someone recommend two different qb`s setups for full cycle growing, that fits in the following categories. Best(money isnt a issue) , and one budget friendly QB.

Again, I hate to ask y'all such novice questions but for the life of me I cant get my fat head around the lighting aspect of growing :wall:. It took me weeks to find the LEDs for my first auto grow. Which I'm happy to say are finally in the flowering stage now.

~KeepOnSmiling~

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I would like to apologize in advance as I'm sure you get this type of question in this thread alot. But after trying to do some reading my head exploded from this thread. :sadcry: :frowny::confused1:I'll be honest and say most of the info went over my head and I couldnt really compute it. So I do have some noobie questions and sorry if this has already been answered.

1. From my understanding(which isnt much) QBs are now the "best" and out performs autocobs?
2. I noticed when searching some of these boards come with "deep red" chips(not sure if using the right terminology) are those better than regular qb's?
4. Lastly, for a 3x3 could someone recommend two different qb`s setups for full cycle growing, that fits in the following categories. Best(money isnt a issue) , and one budget friendly QB.

Again, I hate to ask y'all such novice questions but for the life of me I cant get my fat head around the lighting aspect of growing :wall:. It took me weeks to find the LEDs for my first auto grow. Which I'm happy to say are finally in the flowering stage now.

~KeepOnSmiling~

Hey dude dont worry about asking questions thats what a forum is for!

I'll try to answer your questions though others may have slightly different answers.

1. Im not sure that anyone can say that qbs out perform cobs with any concrete evidence.
But qbs are more efficient and give a better spread and because of this spread they dissipate heat a lot easier. The spread also gives a more uniform ppfd.
Cobs give a higher par over a smaller area in comparison.
Heres an exert i copied....
Quantum Boards are a more efficienttechnology to use and are able to cool and dissipate heat in a better manor.COBs has more focused light to a smaller area and produces more heat where as Quantum Board LEDs aremore spread out to

2. Those far red chips are meant to suppliment the spectrum and give the plants an extra boost especially in bloom.
Not sure if its better or not but some extra spectrum never hurts.
The boards that are purely 3000k 3500k or 4000k are also very capable of growing perfect plants seed to harvest
3500k is the common choice.

3. As far as i know qbs are the most heat efficent grow lights available right now.
Maybe strips run cooler not sure on that.

4. For a 4x4 money no issue i would look at the hlg 550 v2
https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/products/hlg-550?variant=6451950944283

If you want to get something similar for less $$$ heres a chinese made version/copy of the above light

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62055...06.wap_new_search.1998817009.2.4556284fQy7zCv

Its about 1/3rd the price of the hlg and kingbrite is about as well respected a company youll get through alibaba/aliexpress and many growers here (me included) have used these copys with great results.

But if you go with hlg you will have a warranty and a high level of customer service.
Like everything there are pros and cons.

:pass::pass:

Hey everyone!

4. Lastly, for a 4x4 could someone recommend two different qb`s setups for full cycle growing, that fits in the following categories. Best(money isnt a issue) , and one budget friendly QB.

~KeepOnSmiling~
Also qb96v2 6 in a 4x4 they have 660nm reds and run 3500k and can be efficient from 120w to 250w and up to 3000ma I've personally run these and that's way I would by again if I had more space also the chip that QB use may be a different bin ect then the Chinese ones I'm sure some are good but I don't no which ones also the wider/ more chips u have the less dark/ shaded areas in ur grow be noticed on my 20in by 40in wide box with the same driver @250w and 1400ma get a much better growth pattern and a faster growth pattern . A different way to go is linear led strip lights I also run these and they seem just as good in my book and can be just as cheap i personally have run cobs but I like the panel or led strips better not that cobs are bad bc they will grow some good buds but if you ever want some help tag or pm me and I can guide u through it no problem

Hey everyone!

~KeepOnSmiling~

woody has given you excellent device.
My only slight disagreement is about those HLG lights, which are severely over-priced compared to two of these:
https://niemiled.com/product/rspec-...row-light-powered-with-samsung-lm301b-diodes/
Or 1 of these:
https://niemiled.com/product/520w-r...wered-with-samsung-lm301b-osram-660nm-diodes/
HLG is riding its popularity right now, but new companies like NiemiLED will force them to lower prices once people catch on.

But those chinese lights seem hard to beat on price.

I also own several COBs, and believe they are at least as good as QBs, at least for me.
Individual COBs (not the mounted ones) are better than QBs for uneven canopies.

Back