Indoor portable AC units

Reaction score
Anyone use portable AC units or wall units instead of window units for security purposes? How do they work and are they expensive to operate? Thanks everyone. Had to pull a light out of my 4x4. Tempos were to high. Scares me for actual summer time so I need to prepare. All help, suggestions and info would b greatly appreciated

How humid is the growing environment, Discrete? The downside of portables, whether a/c or dehumidifier, is how often you have to empty the water tank. I ran a dehumidifier during one of my grows and had to empty the water every couple of hours. The unit switches off when the water tank is full, meaning it needs constant supervision. This was in tropical humidity; it may be better depending on your climate.

Also, assuming your tent is not airtight, what size is the room? You'll have to take this into account when deciding how many BTUs you need. For example, for a 20' x 20' room (400 sq ft), you need an a/c with around 10,000 BTUs, maybe $300 - $400 for the unit. They're expensive to run as well: 10,000 BTU = 3,000W equivalent.

The room is like 9x2 with a 4x4 and a 2x4 tent. Each tent uses passive intake to stick in air through the bottom vents and I remove it from the top of the tent and into my room. I have another fan/filter extracting air from my whole room and pushing it into another room not connected. Not quite sure what my plan is yet. Thinking about a window unit but security issues scare me and I'm a renter so I can't year things up too bad....can I connect a drain hose to the portable so I don't have to empty it? I'm in Midwest US. RH is average. Nothing crazy low or high, thanks for the response, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what to do

I will follow this as I am also in same area and a renter and have the same worry and I don't want to lose a light.

I will follow this as I am also in same area and a renter and have the same worry and I don't want to lose a light.
right I'm about to have 2 new lights delivered lol and summers a coming! Might have to convince the wife (warden) to let me move my room upstairs so I can use a window unit. Although after looking at my back porch is not much safer if someone really wants in lol might have to go with an expensive portable

Back