@fryge

What is the history of these plants? Who is the breeder? I'm a big Ducksfoot fan and have never heard of these.
not a surprise you've never heard of them, they're my own crosses :p
not really strains yet, just early stages and need more stabilizing, but I've given some specific generations, crosses or plants names to make it easier to remember what's what.

I started off with ducksfoot from USC.
then crossed in a mix of early danish strains(can't find which exactly right now, but I do have it written down somewhere. some I remember are tanska's nepal, thaipassion and I think the rest were all hybrids from hell-strains). this cross, taken to f2 to get the webbed leaves back, I cal dfx in my head and notes.
then I crossed a male dfx to kumaoni(real seed company), and from this cross I grew the f2 last year, and I named each individual plant with A+a number.
A4 was the overall best, earliest harvest and very nice smell, also good leaf/calyx ratio(although buds from this cross are all somewhat open/airy and thin).
A6 was another that stood out, late harvest(november) but without any budrot despite rainy weather for weeks, and much denser/fatter buds as her sisters(but quiet leafy). also best vigour. but not so much/good smell.
A3 is another I may continuee with later, but lower priority right now(it was late and had stemrotissues, but the smell of the kumaoni came trough most in A3, and the high is good).
so the A4 S1 are selfed seeds from the A4 plant I grew last year.
the others in the contest are new crosses at the generation where the webbed leaf comes back(WS07 is wild super 07 from hybrids from hell, crossed in to get an earlier harvest date but hopefully keep some of the positive A6 traits like rotresistance and vigour)(and the a4 in a4x(ws07xa6) is actually an a4 s1 too, not the original a4-plant, one I grew from the selfed seeds during the winter to make seeds. the ws07xa6 in that cross is the f1, while the WS07xA6 I'm also currently growing is the s1 of the same plant that pollinated that A4 s1, so both those seedbatches were at the generation that shows 25% webbed leaves).

the non-contest pics I posted are some more other lines, the bigleaved one has kumaoni in it(A4 crossed with earliest dfx that already flowered in july at guerilla), and the kumaoni causes the bigger leaves.
the others are from unknown(unlabeled) mother, probably something from hfh but could be thaipassion or tanska's nepal too. so those are likely a little earlier as dfx again.
then I have another new cross for more earliness with dfx crossed with royal dane, which seeds just ripened and the first seedlings are poking their heads above the soil.

unfortunatly I can't do big numbers for better selections, and I keep being tempted into new crosses/starting new lines, which I all want to try out, but my plan for now is to basically gather al my desired traits first, and have something that passes my highest priority traits(early flowering, mold resistance and the worst leafy buds selected out), then I can begin stabilizing more and stop crossing in new stuff.

in general, the kumaoni-influence is interesting. it adds more moldresistance, interesting unique smell, vigour and ability to do well on lower nutrients(but lower tolerance to high jutrients as well), but it has also added some negative traits(late flowering, low yield, open/foxtaily thin buds, leafiness in the buds, more stretching/greater internodal distances).

Last edited:
Well guys my ladies are doing great I topped all but the ogs as I think I'll bend those n see how they produce compared to the topped ones also the topped ones are branching out almost immediately after topping... literally had branches the morning after being topped so great genetics but here they are will be picking two of these ladies for my other two photo comps to go with my afgan landrace....from left to right top row is og, purple afgani ,n white window and the bottom row is the same og, purple afgan, n white widdow....my pick will be one white widdow n one purple affanijust not sure what ones yet waiting on the branching to kick in to see who is branching the best they are all 3 weeks old
I like that serious weed growth around your "weed"

time for my update.
contest pics
the WTR is coming along nicely:
View attachment 918977
View attachment 918978

the A4 s1 isn't doing as well as I'd hoped(her sister is looking better though), guess my experimental soilmix isn't great(I'm already seeing some defficiency here in the lower leaves, the maize is showing it too, really early in the season, and it's the final pot already, other years I still had a step in smaller pot in between), and maybe the competition with me vegetables is showing too. although overall I'm still further along as last year at this time, so guess harvest is going to be fine anyway.
View attachment 918980

and the WS07xA6, starting to grow above the strawberries a bit now so hoping it'll take off well when the weather gets sunnier again(the eating is probably from pillbugs, never noticed issues with them before, but a while ago I checked my plants at night and noticed quiet a lot of pill bugs are climbing up to the tops of my weedplants at night to munch on leaves).
View attachment 918981

and here the 2 A4x(WS07xA6), still have to make a choice which one stays at home and will enter the contest.
I have thrips in all my windowsillplants as you can see on the leaves, but not really noticing much issues from it, and they mostly disappear as I plant outside(guess either the environment or predators, I have already spotted the first ladybug on my balcony, on my beans which have some aphids. and plenty of spiders, including some cute small non-webbuilding kind)
View attachment 918982

and non-contest pics:
this plant is doing really nice, thinking of maybe giving it a pot up after all, since it's growing so well. maybe also switching my plans around a bit and give this one a bigger pot, and keep the a4x(ws07xa6) in a smaller pot instead. but not sure yet if this plant is female, it hasn't preflowered yet.
View attachment 918983
and I have found this interesting self-topping mutation in a few plants, keeping this one to see how it will affect the bud formation.
based on how many and in which lines I found this mutation, my guess it could be a single gene recessive(like duckfootleaf), so it would be easy to breed.
View attachment 918984
and one of the same line, but without selftopping
View attachment 918985
and the revegged balconyplant is growing nice too now, nice bushy structure from the revegging.
View attachment 918988
looking good in the sun, I bet some diatomaceous earth around plant base will the do the pill bugs in

not a surprise you've never heard of them, they're my own crosses :p
not really strains yet, just early stages and need more stabilizing, but I've given some specific generations, crosses or plants names to make it easier to remember what's what.

I started off with ducksfoot from USC.
then crossed in a mix of early danish strains(can't find which exactly right now, but I do have it written down somewhere. some I remember are tanska's nepal, thaipassion and I think the rest were all hybrids from hell-strains). this cross, taken to f2 to get the webbed leaves back, I cal dfx in my head and notes.
then I crossed a male dfx to kumaoni(real seed company), and from this cross I grew the f2 last year, and I named each individual plant with A+a number.
A4 was the overall best, earliest harvest and very nice smell, also good leaf/calyx ratio(although buds from this cross are all somewhat open/airy and thin).
A6 was another that stood out, late harvest(november) but without any budrot despite rainy weather for weeks, and much denser/fatter buds as her sisters(but quiet leafy). also best vigour. but not so much/good smell.
A3 is another I may continuee with later, but lower priority right now(it was late and had stemrotissues, but the smell of the kumaoni came trough most in A3, and the high is good).
so the A4 S1 are selfed seeds from the A4 plant I grew last year.
the others in the contest are new crosses at the generation where the webbed leaf comes back(WS07 is wild super 07 from hybrids from hell, crossed in to get an earlier harvest date but hopefully keep some of the positive A6 traits like rotresistance and vigour)(and the a4 in a4x(ws07xa6) is actually an a4 s1 too, not the original a4-plant, one I grew from the selfed seeds during the winter to make seeds. the ws07xa6 in that cross is the f1, while the WS07xA6 I'm also currently growing is the s1 of the same plant that pollinated that A4 s1, so both those seedbatches were at the generation that shows 25% webbed leaves).

the non-contest pics I posted are some more other lines, the bigleaved one has kumaoni in it(A4 crossed with earliest dfx that already flowered in july at guerilla), and the kumaoni causes the bigger leaves.
the others are from unknown(unlabeled) mother, probably something from hfh but could be thaipassion or tanska's nepal too. so those are likely a little earlier as dfx again.
then I have another new cross for more earliness with dfx crossed with royal dane, which seeds just ripened and the first seedlings are poking their heads above the soil.

unfortunatly I can't do big numbers for better selections, and I keep being tempted into new crosses/starting new lines, which I all want to try out, but my plan for now is to basically gather al my desired traits first, and have something that passes my highest priority traits(early flowering, mold resistance and the worst leafy buds selected out), then I can begin stabilizing more and stop crossing in new stuff.

in general, the kumaoni-influence is interesting. it adds more moldresistance, interesting unique smell, vigour and ability to do well on lower nutrients(but lower tolerance to high jutrients as well), but it has also added some negative traits(late flowering, low yield, open/foxtaily thin buds, leafiness in the buds, more stretching/greater internodal distances).
so cool, thanks

looking good in the sun, I bet some diatomaceous earth around plant base will the do the pill bugs in
I'd rather not resort to that if it's not needed, since the pill bugs are not the only bugs around, and a lot of usefull ones too(some spiders, webbuilding but also small ones that don't build webs, ladybugs, bumblebees and bees I need for polination especially for strawberries and tomatillo, also ants that were usefull in the beginning of the season since they pollinated my strawberries when there where no bumblees and bees yet, worms, and I've seen centipedes in previous years).
this is also the first time pillbugs are an issue, I had them in previous years but they just ate dead stuff, I've always regarded them as beneficial bugs. I think the population became a bit too big with the mulching, and they don't have enough dead stuff to eat. I hope some predator of pillbugs will move in(or an existing one reproduces more) so it'll work itself out and stay stable long term.
in the meantime I'm just going to try to gather some at night from the plants to limit the population a bit, and keep watching the damage to see if it gets worse. at least they're not the biggest eaters, the caterpillars I was dealing with last season were worse(I think they were from the cabbage moth, I got them after the field behind my house was planted with a brassicca-covercrop one year).

edit:
guess they weren't pill bugs after all, just inspected the plant and found some beetles that at first glance, in the dark, look like pill bugs, but they aren't. so I must have mistaken them for pill bugs when I saw them crawling in the plant previously.
I googled it a bit, I think this are them, or they look really similar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otiorhynchus_sulcatus

and seeing the image of the larvae, those look familliar too... lost multiple seedlings(lettuce mostly) early this spring where it was chewed trough at ground level, and found one of those nearby in the soil, so I suspected those already but didn't know what they were.

edit2: reading some more about them, maybe it would be good to do something about them, don't see many predators that I'm likely to get naturally, and most damage is apparently from the rootfeeding larvae(and starting around now for the next few months). maybe I'm going to order some nematodes against them.

Last edited:
I'd rather not resort to that if it's not needed, since the pill bugs are not the only bugs around, and a lot of usefull ones too(some spiders, webbuilding but also small ones that don't build webs, ladybugs, bumblebees and bees I need for polination especially for strawberries and tomatillo, also ants that were usefull in the beginning of the season since they pollinated my strawberries when there where no bumblees and bees yet, worms, and I've seen centipedes in previous years).
this is also the first time pillbugs are an issue, I had them in previous years but they just ate dead stuff, I've always regarded them as beneficial bugs. I think the population became a bit too big with the mulching, and they don't have enough dead stuff to eat. I hope some predator of pillbugs will move in(or an existing one reproduces more) so it'll work itself out and stay stable long term.
in the meantime I'm just going to try to gather some at night from the plants to limit the population a bit, and keep watching the damage to see if it gets worse. at least they're not the biggest eaters, the caterpillars I was dealing with last season were worse(I think they were from the cabbage moth, I got them after the field behind my house was planted with a brassicca-covercrop one year).

edit:
guess they weren't pill bugs after all, just inspected the plant and found some beetles that at first glance, in the dark, look like pill bugs, but they aren't. so I must have mistaken them for pill bugs when I saw them crawling in the plant previously.
I googled it a bit, I think this are them, or they look really similar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otiorhynchus_sulcatus

and seeing the image of the larvae, those look familliar too... lost multiple seedlings(lettuce mostly) early this spring where it was chewed trough at ground level, and found one of those nearby in the soil, so I suspected those already but didn't know what they were.

edit2: reading some more about them, maybe it would be good to do something about them, don't see many predators that I'm likely to get naturally, and most damage is apparently from the rootfeeding larvae(and starting around now for the next few months). maybe I'm going to order some nematodes against them.
I'm with ya on creating a balanced grow environment! Up here, after some bug damage a predator shows up. I have DE, but haven't had to use it, yet

DE only affects small hard shelled insects like mites and aphids, etc. The microscopic granules are razor sharp causing slices in the insect shell as they crawl over it, causing them to lose their body fluids.

It has no affect on bees etc.
I'm with ya on creating a balanced grow environment! Up here, after some bug damage a predator shows up. I have DE, but haven't had to use it, yet

I apologize guys...been crazy busy lately and havent been around this thread as much as i should be.....been all kinds of stuff going on right now. I will get to the inquiries and updates tonight or tomorrow. Spent all day replacing a busted water system in our house. :( Replacing a submerged jet pump in the well is a pain in the ass!!

Been there done that! In the dead of winter............. I feel your pain lol!

:smokeout:

I apologize guys...been crazy busy lately and havent been around this thread as much as i should be.....been all kinds of stuff going on right now. I will get to the inquiries and updates tonight or tomorrow. Spent all day replacing a busted water system in our house. :( Replacing a submerged jet pump in the well is a pain in the ass!!

This is my underground Sugar Black Rose :
IMG_20180616_144857.jpg

just starting to turn into a bush :crying:

Last edited:
Back