Odour control help please

Organic_Auto_Canuck (OAC)

Canna growing fanatic
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mostly vaping and edibles using flower
Grateful for advice about controlling odours in my sun stream tent. Ran 3 plants during warm summer months in 2x4x5 tent using a 6 in 200cfm inline fan hon and guan brand and melonfarm 6 inch carbon filter. Temps got up there ....up to 30 degree Celsius most days during flowering. and I couldnt cool it down more. I have 2 small fans running always along with the inline too. I have the duct scrubbing air outside the tent into my garage ....not outside. Smell is my priority. Also used co2 bottle inside the tent. Ran only one 200w led and closed all the vents.... so not air intake. Still couldn't control the smell enough to my liking. What is likely the element that's hurting me the most here so that i can improve smell control. Do I need better quality products? Thank you

Last edited:
I found that a lot of my smell/scent leakage was from the tent itself. I taped up any ports and viewing windows to help seal it up more. That helped a ton for me. Might be worth looking into. I used aluminum backed duct tape on the inside and gorilla waterproof tape on the outside. Just a thought!

I also build a large bucket scrubber that I vent my exhaust into after it passes through the normal exhaust fan/filter combo. Overkill? Most likely. But it helped immensely.

I found that a lot of my smell/scent leakage was from the tent itself. I taped up any ports and viewing windows to help seal it up more. That helped a ton for me. Might be worth looking into. I used aluminum backed duct tape on the inside and gorilla waterproof tape on the outside. Just a thought!

I also build a large bucket scrubber that I vent my exhaust into after it passes through the normal exhaust fan/filter combo. Overkill? Most likely. But it helped immensely.
Than you. Helpful. What is bucket scrubber?

Anyway you could dump the air outside the garage in the back? Is the smell leaking from the garage into the house?
I believe the scrubber DCLXVI mentioned is putting the end of the your duct into a bucket of water. You could add something to the water to help mask the smell like a pine scented cleaning solution.

Hello whats a bucket scrubber???

Anyway you could dump the air outside the garage in the back? Is the smell leaking from the garage into the house?
I believe the scrubber DCLXVI mentioned is putting the end of the your duct into a bucket of water. You could add something to the water to help mask the smell like a pine scented cleaning solution.
Ah. Ok. Thanks. Garage is not attached to my house. I could vent out a window but its far from my tent. I could do a test. Does this mean that not all carbon filters are equally good? Is there a brand that reliable and effective more than others? Ac infinity perhaps or phresh? Many thanks folks

Sorry guys, went to bed!

@Outdoor_Auto_Canada (OAC) and @Daipot - A 5 gal plastic bucket filled with carbon pellets and some holes with a tube for the duct work to connect to. Just something to filter the air a second time if you aren't able to vent outside

I built something very similar to this:

Carbon_added1.jpg

The cheapest carbon pellets I found in a large enough size was from this company. Depending on where you live you may have to shop around a bit. I went with the 20lb bucket of the 4mm activated pellets and it was enough to fill the 5gal and some of the center tube with a little left over. It's kind of expensive no matter where you buy it unfortunately.

Oh and I'm a big fan of these pet odor furnace filters. You can separate the frame and cut them to size. Great for stuffing unused ports on the tent to help grab leaks and for wrapping a bucket if you make one.

721404700029.jpg

Sorry guys, went to bed!

@Outdoor_Auto_Canada (OAC) and @Daipot - A 5 gal plastic bucket filled with carbon pellets and some holes with a tube for the duct work to connect to. Just something to filter the air a second time if you aren't able to vent outside

I built something very similar to this:

Carbon_added1.jpg
Thanks for tagging me ( although o think you have in error) but there’s a way of not pumping the warm out of a window?!?!?!? Where does the excess water vapour go if not outside? If there is a way too avoid pumping air then let me know dude!!!!

Oh, yeah, hahaha I did! I meant to tag @Dell boy !

My tent vents into the bucket which just dumps into the surrounding room. The room is pretty dry with a massive dehumidifier constantly running. I've not had a moisture issue yet but I've definitely kept an eye on the space. Smell and noise were the main concerns to hide.

Back