Newbie tools, What is needed and why, Come contrbute!

Thanks vedder, I must say that most of this wisdom, even though all of items listed have been used hands on, have came from several sources including senior members of this forum. It is, however, handy to see a nice list compiled as to what and why they are needed. I have never seen this in any written guide or grow bible this way, which is kinda odd when you think about it.

Alrighty, I think that covers all of it, if anyone else has anything to add please feel free to do so, otherwise consider this thread retired. Thanks everyone, hoped it helped someone!

I lied, not retired.. Updated once more. THanks for looking.

Thanks to everyone involved in making this thread into a sticky, I hope it helps all the FNG's that come to AFN! :dance:

This will be my last post (seriously) on this thread. I would like to thank everyone who has contributed, and all those who have or will read this and have found any information contained to be helpful. Thanks everyone, I will be writing a new thread about avoiding newbie mistakes, things nobody tells you, and things I have learned all combined into a Newbie Grow Advisory thread.

Reactions: JM
Beautiful.... glad to see giving back to the community.... glad we all could help you and glad to see your success mate! :smokeit: :dance2: :booya: :smokebuds:

JM, you, Muddy, Squid, Growbewan, WVR, Wiz, and many others, that I cannot list from the top of my head, have all helped me in many ways. I am very grateful that I have such a nice and thriving community of like-minded individuals who are willing to share and help the FNG. I just got internet back and I am looking forward to be much more interactive than I have been.. I love this place. Thanks again.

my .02$ worth.

Banana skins ( ever see a bug eat one ? ) When mixing your soil mix 1 skin per plant min. I use scissors to cut them into small pieces and mix thoroughly. This is done to prevent root aphids mostly but it turns most bugs away( fruit flies excluded )

Garlic and or hot peppers misted on the plants early on will keep aphids away for a long time, if you plants are budding use common sense here. Simply blend them up in some nice PH water and spray away.(Outdoor method, works great)

Fish pump and timer to allow the pump to come on 1-2 times a day for 15 min, no need to run 24/7. This is totally separate from your light cycle timer.

Clear air hose works great when your measuring in drops for those small feedings, surgical syringe's after a couple of months-weeks the rubber starts to expand and gets very difficult to use for those precise measurements in drops. I cut a piece of airline apx 12" long. Put it on my syringe and marked the 1 mil- 5 mil- 10 mil with black perm marker when measured with water. Now I have a easy table to use for measurements.

1mil=14 drops
5mil=1/2 tube
10mil=full

my .02$ worth.

Banana skins ( ever see a bug eat one ? ) When mixing your soil mix 1 skin per plant min. I use scissors to cut them into small pieces and mix thoroughly. This is done to prevent root aphids mostly but it turns most bugs away( fruit flies excluded )

Garlic and or hot peppers misted on the plants early on will keep aphids away for a long time, if you plants are budding use common sense here. Simply blend them up in some nice PH water and spray away.(Outdoor method, works great)

Fish pump and timer to allow the pump to come on 1-2 times a day for 15 min, no need to run 24/7. This is totally separate from your light cycle timer.

Clear air hose works great when your measuring in drops for those small feedings, surgical syringe's after a couple of months-weeks the rubber starts to expand and gets very difficult to use for those precise measurements in drops. I cut a piece of airline apx 12" long. Put it on my syringe and marked the 1 mil- 5 mil- 10 mil with black perm marker when measured with water. Now I have a easy table to use for measurements.

1mil=14 drops
5mil=1/2 tube
10mil=full

i like the air hose tip i might do that. especially for measuring tiny amounts of nutes for single plants. the banana skin sounds like it would cause problems to me, is there any reason behind it?
the pepper spray works well for aphids had to do that for months last year, added a small amount of washing up liquid too.

Back