New Grower My 1st Grow, A journey...

6:30 PM
Temp 81 RH 37

Got the filter installed W00t, looks good it is a Magnum 6" x 300mm fits nicely in the tent. I liked the fact that it was put together with screws so you can reverse the fillings. I hope it is refillable too.
Seems to have been some progress today. BK looks great and actually almost appropriate for 8 days old. CC still struggling. I think there is somethin not quite right here. If you look I think it is pretty clear that both plants have the light green striations. Anyone have any ideas? I am sure they are not overwatered, the LED is backed off, I have not given them nutes. The pH was a bit off at 5.6 but that is not too bad I don't think. At first I thought it was just CC being chewed on and pulled out by my cat, or over watered or heated... Well here's tonight's pics.

CC
DSC_0629-cropped_zps90528074.jpg

BK
DSC_0630-cropped_zps857c129b.jpg

The new filter!
DSC_0619_zpsd7ca1798.jpg

Just use tap water, i know what it's like man, i was like a mother hen my first couple of grows but less is more.

steely

Also, i've been reading up on your compost, it's pretty hot stuff for seedlings so hence the yellow streaking (perhaps) ...

steely

If that was my plant i would assume and treat for over fert, tip is burned ? we all know i could be wrong, but that would be my starting point.

11/12
CC Day 19 BK Day 9
6:00 AM
Temp 80 RH 43

Good Morning Still pale green looking. Is the FF Happy frog to hot? Growing tho albeit slowly. Foliar fed with 1TBS/gallon FF BigBloom. Mixed it up for the houseplants and could not resist. I don't have a clue and don't think it will hurt. If it makes things worse, then I could assume happy frog is to hot, no change, it is something else. (did not notice a difference tonight!)
Hmmm... I do not want to start the DieselMass until I have this under control, whatever it is. CC has burt tip on the ends of the first leaves. Don't know if it is damage from Bob...
CFL, LED, and exhaust fan on all at same time, on timer 16/8. Temp 80 RH in 40s while they are on. Need to clear thermometer to check overnight readings.

@SteelRat, Thanks man, I see we are thinking along the same lines.
@Randy, I sorta think so too, due to the soil.
I just don't know though, went shopping for soil with no amendments and could not find any. It's winter here and the only stores that have much are the "grow" stores anyway. In talking to one person, he said Happy Frog was the least amended soil he had. I looked around a bit and it seems that it should be less "hot" than FF Ocean Forest... So I am really at a loss.

6:30PM
Temp 78 RH 37
RH is low, need to figure out how to raise it a bit. With the fans one for temp control it brings in a constant flow of dry air. I think I'll put the fan on a timer and add a bucket of water on a heat mat for now. So I have decided I am my worst enemy, and that of my plants too! I made a decision tonight to stop worrying and hovering so much. I purchased some Pro-Mix soil and mixed 2 parts happy frog, 2 parts pro mix and one part perlite. Filled 3 gallon smart pots with the mix, poured two gallons of filtered tap water pH'ed to 6.7 through each one. When they finished draining I transplanted both by cutting down one side of the cup and cutting off the bottom. Placed the cup in a hole in the soil packed it in gently and the removed the cu. Seemed to go OK. I put them in the tent, set the CFLs at six inches. I promised myself to not water for several days, basically check temps and leave them alone!! OBoy!! Oh and my water is pH'ed to 6.7 with nothing added.
The colors in the photos are off due to LED lighting.

CC
DSC_0640-cropped_zpsa6937782.jpg

BK

DSC_0634-cropped_zpsfeb5b29d.jpg

"I don't have a clue and don't think it will hurt." - not a good approach that !

No way you should be foliar feeding seedlings bloom, or anything yet !

steely

Yea Looks like the soil was hot..I mix FFHF and FFOF 1-1 for a light soil..You should need to feed them anything for a bit...Molasses is what i use at this stage...gives myco hurds food and sugars for the plant..Think If the soil has stuff in it already then you adding more on top of it..gona get stunted growth and tip burn..Transplant may help but the roots are still in the HOT soil and growing slowly ..I would give some root stim..thrive or b1 or jellyfish..something to help get the roots out of that hot soil...I had the same problem with my very first grow and some hot seed starter...I run my temps with my LED at 80 .good luck ..You can PM any admin or High Team member or Best to start HERE for faster help :High 5::karma Cloud: Hospital / Infirmary for Sick Plants

I would not water them again for at least 14 days unless your cooking them with surrounding temps, that is a lot for such a small plant, a serious lot.

Do you have your led on plus also all that cfl? ..... Wow lol

Your cfl is one of the best homemade panels I have seen.

Cats are notorious canna eaters. Many stories from members--some nibble and other eat the whole seedling. Cap nip time.

You are learning a great deal. Can be stressful, but, in the end it is fun to experiment and gain loads of knowledge.

Advise is dispensed often with a new grower. In the end, you will verify info. here and online like you are doing.

I know the temptation to water and feed is incredible. I never listened and had to learn the hard way.

What I learned in ref. to soil is:
1. The seedlings only need passive soil for first few weeks, e.g. Light Warrior.
2. Ph is of the utmost importance. What is commonly termed lock out is so difficult to correct. I have had some serious cases.
3. Nutrients in a complete soil like Fox Farm are adequate, until you notice a change/deficiencies.
4. Fertilize ever so sparingly. Often 1/3 of the recommended dose is good enough--can always add more later. Over-fertilizing causes a lot of stress to the plant and the grower.
5. Try not to harvest before it's time to avoid the heady sometimes confusing high/stone.

I think most canna growers are independently minded and learn by doing. Seems to be the only way. Though, I have seen some new growers harvest near picture perfect plants.
Many use the party cup method and transplant. Others, will put soil in pots and then scope out about a party cup's worth of soil and replace with Light Warrior for the seedlings.
Transplanting is good for root development--I think I was just using the line of least resistance.

Enjoying your journal. Have fun.

Back