Grow Mediums Mom’s GlueberryOG, GorillaOG, AutoPot, AutoCob, Coco Grow

Lol...you silly. :smoking:

Actually, I dont like lobster. or clams. or shrimp....anything seafood for that matter.
Only thing I do like is haddock. (mmmmm....beer battered fish n chips)
However, no crustacean or other fish has ever been near mom. yuck. ha ha.
Which is strange, because I am a fisherman. I live on the water in the summer. Local lakes or off the backroads searching for areas full of trout. hornpout fishing...ahhhh...yes sir eeeee. Deep sea fishing off Cape Cod....cant be beat. After growing for my daughter, fishing is my second passion :biggrin:

Love fishing too. My first passion without a doubt.

I am only regurgitating the information posted by many sources about how much light to use. @BigSm0 is the only source that I have encountered that reduces the light for autos and that has not been my personal experience with them. I do run my lights at 30" above the canopy. I don't have enough space to do a proper test so my info is just Blah, blah blah.......... I wish I had a dozen rooms and 10000 sq. ft. to work with because I do understand the scientific method. Then I would not have to rely on other's Blah, blah blah..........

I wish it was just blah blah blah. When I first came to Afn how ever long ago 1.5 years roughly I had already done quite a bit of growing with cobs. Not only growing but smaller commercial scale growing 20-40 plants. I have also grown photos with hps prior to autos with cobs. Basically I did follow the 50 watts per square foot rule with photos under hps also while implementing max co2. So back to when I joined... It was a shit show to put it lightly. Everyone was using 3w led panels or hps. I pushed cobs, explained cobs and proved that cobs were by far superior. The majority thought I was nuts with this new tech. People didn’t understand that wattage was a measurement of energy consumption and not light. There is still plenty that still don’t understand it. What happened was as cobs gained popularity and the grows kept piling in before people considered them. Now I’d say the majority uses cobs and the results speak for themselves. If you own a quality par meter or can calculate the correction formulas needed you can see first hand that 50 cob watts has a nearly identical ppfd as 140 watts of hps. Not ppf-total light emitted but ppfd the important number that measures light at the canopy. So a question is what light source do you figure when filling a room at 50 watts per square foot?

Secondly the daily light integral (dli) is not a fictitious made up term. It is the number of photons hitting the plants over a 24 hour period of time. If growing photos you flower for 12 hours a day. If growing autos you flower for 18-24 hours a day. If you multiply 12x50 that’s half of 25x50. That’s the basics behind the main reason I say 50 watts per square foot is inaccurate with autos. If you were to have 50 watts per square foot over photos while using hps that’s more like 20 watts per square foot with cobs to equal the same dli with cobs at 24 hours. Now the blah blah part. My opinion is that even 20 watts per square foot while good can still be reduced. No science but proof I have personally seen in my own grows. Grow after grow. There are very few soil grows with autos that I have seen here that can compare. Not trying to sound like an ass. How I stumbled across this was while growing autos under 50 watts per square foot I always had burnt up plants while the plants or branches near the edges were much fuller and better looking quality wise. I reduced the light till I saw spindly plants and increased it. No one has to agree with me on this but I do see much better healthier plants with less light. @Rifleman @slowandeasy are two other growers off the top of my head that I have seen pull epic plants with what most would consider not enough light. It’s all good. How we do better is by experimenting, autos are a perfect example. Most growers laugh at autos, some laugh at 11 watts per square foot. But we push on and try our best. I am actually hurting myself by saying all of this as I sell lights. Sure pile them in.. I’d rather save someone money on lights and their power bill than sell someone something they don’t need.

I hope this helps clarify some things that I explain on a regular basis in my own section. Some is blah blah and some is science.
https://gpnmag.com/article/daily-light-integral-defined/

@MassMom in sorry to blow up your thread.

@BigSm0 hey the Blah blah blah was not directed at you, sorry if it read it that way. I was pointing that finger at me; trying to state that I do not own any personal scientific proof for the lighting needs of the plants we grow. I have to depend on others. Do you have a thread we can move this discussion to so we don't pollute MassMoms thread?

Landscape wire? Does it have a plastic coating?
OOPS, maybe its floral wire? yes, nice thick coating
711c0Bu3aCL._SX425_.jpg
:)

Last edited:
Happy to see the light is in good use already. The whole Vapor Pressure Deficit concept is fairly complicated but this chart is all you really need to know about the subject to use it for humidity levels. The gold area is where you want to be even during flower. The problem with holding humidity that high in flower is if the temps drop too low you can get bud rot; so I usually run in the white area on the dry side just for safety. For veg the gold area is a good target.

View attachment 845934
cool! i see that the higher the temp the higher you can have humidity? am I correct?

Hps, with massive photo period plants, max co2 maybe. Not cobs and autos. 50 will kill and autos unless you keep it 48” above the canopy.

Hey @MassMom are those short stuff gorillas? If so bend gently as the branches do snap easily. You are in for a real treat with these ladies. I’m having trouble controlling mine and they just keep getting bigger and bigger. Definitly the best auto I have ever grown hands down. The growth is beautiful and the growth rate is even better.
hi sweetie!!
yes, they are short stuff. lady A is really getting tall!.....

@BigSm0 hey the Blah blah blah was not directed at you, sorry if it read it that way. I was pointing that finger at me; trying to state that I do not own any personal scientific proof for the lighting needs of the plants we grow. I have to depend on others. Do you have a thread we can move this discussion to so we don't pollute MassMoms thread?
you are not polluting, I LOVE IT!!!....chat chat chat gentlemen!:d5:

I wish it was just blah blah blah. When I first came to Afn how ever long ago 1.5 years roughly I had already done quite a bit of growing with cobs. Not only growing but smaller commercial scale growing 20-40 plants. I have also grown photos with hps prior to autos with cobs. Basically I did follow the 50 watts per square foot rule with photos under hps also while implementing max co2. So back to when I joined... It was a shit show to put it lightly. Everyone was using 3w led panels or hps. I pushed cobs, explained cobs and proved that cobs were by far superior. The majority thought I was nuts with this new tech. People didn’t understand that wattage was a measurement of energy consumption and not light. There is still plenty that still don’t understand it. What happened was as cobs gained popularity and the grows kept piling in before people considered them. Now I’d say the majority uses cobs and the results speak for themselves. If you own a quality par meter or can calculate the correction formulas needed you can see first hand that 50 cob watts has a nearly identical ppfd as 140 watts of hps. Not ppf-total light emitted but ppfd the important number that measures light at the canopy. So a question is what light source do you figure when filling a room at 50 watts per square foot?

Secondly the daily light integral (dli) is not a fictitious made up term. It is the number of photons hitting the plants over a 24 hour period of time. If growing photos you flower for 12 hours a day. If growing autos you flower for 18-24 hours a day. If you multiply 12x50 that’s half of 25x50. That’s the basics behind the main reason I say 50 watts per square foot is inaccurate with autos. If you were to have 50 watts per square foot over photos while using hps that’s more like 20 watts per square foot with cobs to equal the same dli with cobs at 24 hours. Now the blah blah part. My opinion is that even 20 watts per square foot while good can still be reduced. No science but proof I have personally seen in my own grows. Grow after grow. There are very few soil grows with autos that I have seen here that can compare. Not trying to sound like an ass. How I stumbled across this was while growing autos under 50 watts per square foot I always had burnt up plants while the plants or branches near the edges were much fuller and better looking quality wise. I reduced the light till I saw spindly plants and increased it. No one has to agree with me on this but I do see much better healthier plants with less light. @Rifleman @slowandeasy are two other growers off the top of my head that I have seen pull epic plants with what most would consider not enough light. It’s all good. How we do better is by experimenting, autos are a perfect example. Most growers laugh at autos, some laugh at 11 watts per square foot. But we push on and try our best. I am actually hurting myself by saying all of this as I sell lights. Sure pile them in.. I’d rather save someone money on lights and their power bill than sell someone something they don’t need.

I hope this helps clarify some things that I explain on a regular basis in my own section. Some is blah blah and some is science.
https://gpnmag.com/article/daily-light-integral-defined/

@MassMom in sorry to blow up your thread.
You are not blowing up anything, I enjoy it :smoking:
I may not understand all of it, but I enjoy learning! I cant wait to get up in the morning and see their changes. all i can say is..... "doze lights are da bomb baby!"
:cheers:

<rubbing my eyes> somebody yank my chain ? :coffee2:
I don't know blah blah blah about the science of any of it. I do know one COB per plant has been plenty to grow a 22, 36, and 38 inch Stilton Special in my 4x4. Harvest around the end of the month. :shooty:

20171229_105745.jpg 20171229_105646.jpg

Back