Indoor Mephisto/Soil/Autopot

SIMPLE is my approach. Build a soil, let it ”cook” for 3 month, and water only with a 50/50 mix of rainwater/tap water at 6.4ph. My tap water is 180-200ppm, so I am diluting to 100-120 ppms. I’m NOT looking to grow big plants, but rather happy plants. As a friend once said, “I want to grow quality/happy plants, bigger is a bonus”.
I wish I had the patience & drive to mix, bake and utilize my own super soil.

Looks like you’re on the right track man! Can honestly say I never worried about ppm in my soil grows but now having transitioned to hydro, really wish I would’ve.

First week in the books. All appears to be well.
3B53392E-0969-453A-9AA9-3CC811E7F2C6.jpeg
29DAC16E-1E65-42D9-9CCC-3716E1E01D58.jpeg

When do you transplant?

First week in the books. All appears to be well.
View attachment 1378872View attachment 1378873

When do you transplant?
I try to do it not long after the tap root gets to the bottom of the pot, definitely before it starts searching sideways outside the pot. My thinking (for which I have bugger all proof) is that getting the plant into it's final home is best done before the tap root structure gets distorted by running out of room. The one downside with this for me is that generally this means transplanting before roots have bound the medium in the smaller pot well enough to hold together during transplant. I have dealt with this by using insta-transplant pots that can be removed after the entire pot except the removeable bottom is already in the hole and supported by soil. I have not tried direct planting of seeds in the final pot.

There are lots of ways to do this, and with care they can all work. Good luck with it. :goodluck:

All is well after transfer. Plants are at day 13. Recovering from a slight overwatering issue. One of the primary objectives for this grow is to LEARN to read my plants. Plan is to water tomorrow with 2-3 cups of water each. This is first time with 5 gal pots so I have a slight learning curve. The tops of the Rapid Rooters were very dry, so I moistened the plugs with 6.4 ph water. I do not consider this as a watering, which is why I sprayed a small circle around the plant. I do know that when I water, it will be the entire pot.

on another note, soil seems to have some fungus gnats. Nothing major, just want to get it early so it doesn’t become an issue. Suggestions?

E4C1937B-F68C-4AEB-83AD-4CDF562A1FBB.jpeg

Back