Mephisto Genetics Mephisto Skywalker

Did not know we could use pool shock, i can't wait to see what happens.

I think light still gets past that orange bucket, might need to foil it over or spray paint it or just say screw it lol just a little algae. i use black socks on my mason jar grows, seems to work so far.

Took a peek at my roots and figured i would share. the sock works but from my last try, the roots turn a little brown from the megacrop and later on will rot if i don't change the res every 4 weeks or so. i have a some friendly fungicide stuff (cheaper version of hydroguard) i'm saving for when i do what you are doing DWC ;)

20210906_063545.jpg

Did not know we could use pool shock, i can't wait to see what happens.

I think light still gets past that orange bucket, might need to foil it over or spray paint it or just say screw it lol just a little algae. i use black socks on my mason jar grows, seems to work so far.

Yeah I found a few posts around the cannaweb about using pool shock for sterile grows. It's way cheaper than h2o2. I did like running sterile my last grow, so I wanted to give the pool shock a try. I'm using this stuff @ 2ppm.

pH was high at 6.3, probably from not washing the clay pebbles enough. Now at 5.7 with the res change.

I may just wrap Skywalker1's bucket up in foil, and leave 2 exposed to the light.

nice to see you back up and running and what a naughty kitty

Took a peek at my roots and figured i would share. the sock works but from my last try, the roots turn a little brown from the megacrop and later on will rot if i don't change the res every 4 weeks or so. i have a some friendly fungicide stuff (cheaper version of hydroguard) i'm saving for when i do what you are doing DWC ;)

I had root rot kill a couple ladies last year, and that's what led me to try sterile after that. Megacrop stains my roots too so it'll be interesting to see if the pool shock keeps them white too.

I'm trying to figure out the mason jar there. Is it just in standing water?

nice to see you back up and running and what a naughty kitty

Very naughty kitty. Not even allowed in the room anymore. I'm glad to be growing again, it's my only real hobby these days.

Last edited:
I had root rot kill a couple ladies last year, and that's what led me to try sterile after that. Megacrop stains my roots too so it'll be interesting to see if the pool shock keeps them white too.

I'm trying to figure out the mason jar there. Is it just in standing water?

Very naughty kitty. Not even allowed in the room anymore. I'm glad to be growing again, it's my only real hobby these days.
yes standing water, kratky method, no air stone i top the water off at a certain level where the fuzzy roots stop. This is my 1st cannabis mason jar grow, i tested this method with a jalapeno plant, it had great success until i got root rot after 6 weeks or so of not changing the res/jar. I clipped off all the root rot and she recovered so much she filled the jar with roots, pulling her out and potting her up in soil was a chore, slowly spinning the roots out of the jar method lol

Root algae and Root rot
Not the best update. Looks like brown slime on Skywalker 2. Skywalker 1 has perked up and recovered a bit from the cat bite. I still haven't covered the bucket. Her roots look healthier at least. High temps can't be helping either. Probably should invest in an aquarium chiller. Skywalker 2, sterile, looks terrible, had to pick a few dead leaves off her, she's definitely stunted. Figured we'd just go all in on the chlorine and upped it to 20ppm.

Day 17
full

Skywalker 1 Recovering nicely, plucked off the chewed up leaves.
full

Loads of algae but they look better than #2
full

Skywalker 2 all stunted and droopy, had a couple dead wrinkled up leaves.
full

Roots looking slimy
full

Well if I kill them I have a few new options to plant at least.
full

Last edited:
Can you please define the pool shock you are using, and the method. I have a pool, and use di-chlor to shock. somehow, i dont think that is what you are referring to when you say pool shock. I want to try dwc this winter. thank you!

Can you please define the pool shock you are using, and the method. I have a pool, and use di-chlor to shock. somehow, i dont think that is what you are referring to when you say pool shock. I want to try dwc this winter. thank you!

I'm using Super Shock!. I first made a solution of about 5 teaspoons in a gallon of water. Came out around 2300 ppm, so I add about 2 mL of that solution per gallon of water and end up with 2ppm.

Don't know if there's any solid science behind using chlorine in hydroponics systems. From what I've read the calcium hypochlorite turns into hypochlorous acid when mixed in water, and that's the main ingredient in Clear Rez.

From that I figured I'd try running it as a sterile system. There's no green algae, but also no beneficial microbes. And now it's looking like root rot so I've increased the ppms of my shock solution to 20 to see if we can kill it off, but it's not looking too good for us.

At this point in time I wouldn't recommend using pool shock.

super shock is cal-hypo. some strong shit. you won't be needed any cal-mag with that! Cal hypo is probably the best pool chlorinator/shock because it stabilized & does not contain cya. I can't use it because the down side is-it contains a bunch of calcium. My water out of tap is 450ppm, already high in cal. so using cal-hypo make it really hard to keep the tile clean.

I hope you plant i ok, and you can finish the grow!

Back