Mephisto Genetics Mephisto LED vs HPS Sour Crack AF-SOG!

Good luck with the LED's Mitch... I reckon you'll like 'em..

I like to incorporate both technologys.. LED's for veg & HPS for bloom.. Seems to work a treat :smoke:
I'll be lurking about this thread if you don't mind :Sharing One:

Thanks man! that could end up as a solution, but really with our perpetual flowering room, a single 600w is enough to veg up the next planters batch of cuttings before being transplanted. Lurk away anyway :)

Sounds great. I used to write up/approve specs and configuration for tests like this with universities, research labs and growers, nothing heady though......

How do you plan to keep temps close to the same in each tent?

May I suggest the same timer running both light sources...... Know from experience that all it takes is for someone to forget to flick a switch or some misunderstanding, and the test is fogged.....!

Running tests like this requires an iron discipline, clearly defined documentation and datalogging.... This is especially important when you a testing a parameter that is influenced by other variable parameters (temps, humidity, even amounts of feed and so on)....... I hope you have a good project manager armed with some software...... And outcome is judged on organoleptic evaluation..... Not saying you don't know this already......!

Feel free if you want to bounce some ideas off the walls or any suggestions.

Corgy

This is only going to be a basic test and evaluation. Thermometers have been left in each tent over night just to get a gauge on it.
Tents are obviously sharing the same room, with an identical ambient intake temp, there is another tent next to the led tent to hopefully transfer a little heat that way. This is just one grow amongst many we have running at the moment, so it's not the main focus, just a fun thing on the side to watch unfold.
We've been told that 2 of these units together, will cover the same area and give as good a result as a 600w hps, so that's the test.
We initially wanted LED's to cover a 2.5 x 2.5m room that currently has 4 - 600w hps lights, the suggestion was 9 would be the ideal number but at £3000 roughly, that's quite an investment in comparison to £1200 approx - that would be top spec hps setup.
A much more scientific test could be conducted, but would better be suited to someone with a lab and more experience with LED lighting.

But at the end, all factors will be taken into consideration justly, and our own conclusions drawn.

Hi Mitch, looking forward to following this grow. I keep thinking about LEDs and this sounds like a great test

cheers bro!

Very interesting! I'm sub'd! :Sharing One: "Munch..munch..munch

All good points for sure, I suspect, however, his intent is far more informal. Can these lights justify their expense in a commercial setting? I'm sceptical about it, but will follow with great interest. A commercial LED that doesn't cost 15 times the price of an HPS would be a boon to all types of greenhouse production growing.

Cheers pop thanks for stopping by! And correct assumptions ^^

HPS TENT - Set on 400w - top of pots to bottom of reflector is 96cm
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture417365-hps-tent-s.jpg

LED TENT - 68cm pots to light units
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture417366-led-tent-s.jpg

Both tents -
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture417364-both-tents-s.jpg

cheers! will get some pics, and an official day one when the majority have sprouted.

Pack 'em in there Mitch!! :dance2:

You're probably gonna find that the LED's veg those young'uns to your liking.. Staying reasonably short, stacked & with strong side branching..

My only advice.. Keep some cal-mag supp handy.. The LED tent will probably need it more than the bulb tent. You more than likely know that already..

Looking forward to this show...

Here brother share some Quantum Kush :Sharing One:

Last edited:
I was gonna say the same thing...keep some CaMg around. :)

Noted, will get some ordered just in case.
cheers all!

Today I used the kill-a-watt to see what watts various things were drawing,
including the leds and also all the different types of ballasts we currently have in operation about the place.

it was pretty cold in the tents/tent room today.. Winter sucks!
the top of the soil , measured with the laser thermometer , in the led tent measured 50 degrees f, and 55 in the hps tent.
hooked up a fan heater right away to increase ambient temps, I'll get it on a timer tomorrow and keep an eye on things.

i have all the electrical measurements written down back at the farm, so I'll post those tomorrow, some interesting findings!

cheers and ciao for now, mitch

Don't know how i missed this !

Looking really good Mitch and great to see a comparison grow of HPS vs LED.

You went straight to the top with your LED's I have yet to try the HS1 but they do seem to be doing the job in other grows in the forum.

If you are happy with the results and decide to go the way of the HS1 it will be one quarter of the energy cost than using HPS.

It will be great to see the killawat figures to see the comparison in how many Watts are drawn by the lights you are using.

Look forward to more updates :)

peace

Arty

Hi Mitch can i ask what brand hps bulbs your using?

Hi Mitch can i ask what brand hps bulbs your using?

We've been using and really liking Philips , sorry I'm not at home to give the exact spec now, but are in the region or 50 euros a bulb, or grolux sylvania's are the second choice, they're about 30 euros a pop

how do you feel about light coverage? Do the 2 GN's seem adequate for the space?

Back