Indoor Mephisto GWK (Grape Walker Kush) & AvT (Alien vs Triangle)

Fantastic, thank you!
In all honesty, this is completely new to me.

Is there a base soil in this mix or simply the aforementioned ingredients?

Are they mixed in equal proportions, one more predominant than the others or is it just one of those things that's constantly evolving as you go along?

What size/type container is used in your grow?

Sorry for the bombardment here, sincerely intrigued and would love to give this a go.

Plenty of LOS Soils available with those ingredients but I am talking worm bin and compost from the worm bin ..... Anyone can “grow” worms but input is output and better you feed your worms, better the compost ..... And you can buy good compost that may some of the ingredients but I doubt it will contain all the ingredients I fed my worms ...... Just like you can buy tomatoes but not home grown tomatoes .....

If you don’t have dirt under your finger nails growing your own worms might not fit your style so we need to go to plant B .....

Plan B - Buy everything you need and use a Professionally Mixed Water only LOS and the best worm castings and amendments you can afford ...... Myself I’ve been a vegetable gardener for many years before growing weed but most folks don’t have much garden experience s go Plan B .....

I learned a lot from listening to the 45 or so podcasts at KIS https://www.kisorganics.com/pages/podcast and from following Smiling Phil (for years and years) https://www.smilinggardener.com/collection/indoor-composting/ and Phil just came out with a video on worms and composting indoors ..... and from cruising and reading stuff and videos at https://buildasoil.com/ and also watching various YouTube Videos and Growers like you and others here on AFN .....

Sam’s Base Soil was a mix of a couple different commercial soils from Buildasoil and Kis Organics along with some of my own worm castings - I also added a Little Rock dust and kelp into the mix but not much .......

Containers used were seven gallon fabric pots which proved to be too small BUT or Sam I used a 2 cubic foot (15 gallon) SIP (Self Irrigated Planter) and when done with grow, there was about 22+ gallons of soil and top dressings heaped over sides bent held in place with a plastic cover .....

Sam’s Container had a plastic cover over the dirt and mulch/top dressings .... A plastic cover over the Soil Eliminates any bug issues, gnats etc as bugs can’t get past the cover, hehehe, and bugs are usually associated with overwatering and a sick Plant, one with a Brix Reading of less than 12 ..... Sam’s lowest reading was 12 and that was at the end, she consistently tested 16-18 range ...... and a SIP Container is never over or under watered ....

If you check out Sam’s Grow, from the START, you’ll see her Container and my other girls who were entered in the Battle ......

Love is added to everything and I believe how you care for your plants is reflected in the results!

Peace,
OB

PS - Only soils that contain a good amount of peat will work in a SIP Container - Soils heavy in perlite or lava rock will not wick water, thus they will not work in a SIP Container ..... Example FFOF will not work but HF will work! Of course neither is a LOS.

Plenty of LOS Soils available with those ingredients but I am talking worm bin and compost from the worm bin ..... Anyone can “grow” worms but input is output and better you feed your worms, better the compost ..... And you can buy good compost that may some of the ingredients but I doubt it will contain all the ingredients I fed my worms ...... Just like you can buy tomatoes but not home grown tomatoes .....

If you don’t have dirt under your finger nails growing your own worms might not fit your style so we need to go to plant B .....

Plan B - Buy everything you need and use a Professionally Mixed Water only LOS and the best worm castings and amendments you can afford ...... Myself I’ve been a vegetable gardener for many years before growing weed but most folks don’t have much garden experience s go Plan B .....

I learned a lot from listening to the 45 or so podcasts at KIS https://www.kisorganics.com/pages/podcast and from following Smiling Phil (for years and years) https://www.smilinggardener.com/collection/indoor-composting/ and Phil just came out with a video on worms and composting indoors ..... and from cruising and reading stuff and videos at https://buildasoil.com/ and also watching various YouTube Videos and Growers like you and others here on AFN .....

Sam’s Base Soil was a mix of a couple different commercial soils from Buildasoil and Kis Organics along with some of my own worm castings - I also added a Little Rock dust and kelp into the mix but not much .......

Containers used were seven gallon fabric pots which proved to be too small BUT or Sam I used a 2 cubic foot (15 gallon) SIP (Self Irrigated Planter) and when done with grow, there was about 22+ gallons of soil and top dressings heaped over sides bent held in place with a plastic cover .....

Sam’s Container had a plastic cover over the dirt and mulch/top dressings .... A plastic cover over the Soil Eliminates any bug issues, gnats etc as bugs can’t get past the cover, hehehe, and bugs are usually associated with overwatering and a sick Plant, one with a Brix Reading of less than 12 ..... Sam’s lowest reading was 12 and that was at the end, she consistently tested 16-18 range ...... and a SIP Container is never over or under watered ....

If you check out Sam’s Grow, from the START, you’ll see her Container and my other girls who were entered in the Battle ......

Love is added to everything and I believe how you care for your plants is reflected in the results!

Peace,
OB

PS - Only soils that contain a good amount of peat will work in a SIP Container - Soils heavy in perlite or lava rock will not wick water, thus they will not work in a SIP Container ..... Example FFOF will not work but HF will work! Of course neither is a LOS.

Beyond comprehensive. Thank you for taking the time to put this response together - it is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to jumping into the provided references!

I wonder if you could get good worm castings from throwing your trimmed leaves and such into the worm bin... I know you could probably get your worms pretty high lol

Update Day 68 -

Plants are all progressing nicely. AvT's flowers are swelling considerably faster/larger than the two age comparable GWK's. However, AvT flower density is looking like a 6/10 whereas the GWK's are in the 9-10/10 range.

GWK trichome production and visual appeal are AAA. Looking like the lot of them will push into the 80+ day range.

IMG_20190519_193223.jpg
IMG_20190519_193211.jpg
IMG_20190519_193206.jpg
IMG_20190519_193144.jpg
IMG_20190519_193128.jpg
IMG_20190519_193001.jpg
IMG_20190519_192930.jpg

I saw this post of yours and it is exactly the same conclusion I came to myself, then I ended up here, which looks very interesting. I'm halfway through the thread fantastic looking buds, will pick the rest up later, but first I thought I'd comment on a couple of bits. I'll have to see how you do your soil and pots, because I'd like to try and grow in a normal pot for a change, but I'm too nervous.

Either scenario, the canopy is getting the same usable intensity of light

Say you're 12" from the canopy that is getting x quantity of light, just 12" inches deep into the canopy and the light is already 1/4 of what it was at the canopy. So if you have 800 at the canopy with the lights at 12" then you've got 200 12" down. In fact even 6" down from the canopy and you've lost more than half your light.

Now say the lights are 36" away and they are getting 800 umols at the canopy, then 12" deep and you're getting close to half the light you were getting at the canopy.

I saw this post of yours and it is exactly the same conclusion I came to myself, then I ended up here, which looks very interesting. I'm halfway through the thread fantastic looking buds, will pick the rest up later, but first I thought I'd comment on a couple of bits. I'll have to see how you do your soil and pots, because I'd like to try and grow in a normal pot for a change, but I'm too nervous.

Say you're 12" from the canopy that is getting x quantity of light, just 12" inches deep into the canopy and the light is already 1/4 of what it was at the canopy. So if you have 800 at the canopy with the lights at 12" then you've got 200 12" down. In fact even 6" down from the canopy and you've lost more than half your light.

Now say the lights are 36" away and they are getting 800 umols at the canopy, then 12" deep and you're getting close to half the light you were getting at the canopy.

Hello and welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to dig through the thread.

Soil = Root Farm Hydro Potting Mix @ 40-50% with the remainder divided equally between a mid-coarse perlite and worm castings - placed in either 3 or 5 gal fabrics. I'll top dress 1-2x with ~ 1" of castings at week 3-4 and 6-7.

Great article from black dog regarding light intensity and duration -

https://www.blackdogled.com/blog_ideal-led-grow-light-setup

Inverse square law regarding intensity at distance. The trade off in penetration comes at the expense of greater power. Is the increase in yield relative to power output linear? If not, you're operating less efficiently.

As a hobbyist, these nuances aren't of significant enough relevance. Can I grow get cannabis in an efficient manner - yes. Could it be better, of course.

Do you have a current grow? Share a link, would love to see what you're about.

Hello and welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to dig through the thread.

Soil = Root Farm Hydro Potting Mix @ 40-50% with the remainder divided equally between a mid-coarse perlite and worm castings - placed in either 3 or 5 gal fabrics. I'll top dress 1-2x with ~ 1" of castings at week 3-4 and 6-7.

Great article from black dog regarding light intensity and duration -

https://www.blackdogled.com/blog_ideal-led-grow-light-setup

Inverse square law regarding intensity at distance. The trade off in penetration comes at the expense of greater power. Is the increase in yield relative to power output linear? If not, you're operating less efficiently.

As a hobbyist, these nuances aren't of significant enough relevance. Can I grow get cannabis in an efficient manner - yes. Could it be better, of course.

Do you have a current grow? Share a link, would love to see what you're about.

Well what I was about when I started was wondering how much I could get off a plant, I hoped for 8 zips because I thought that should be easy, turns out that by day 50 of my OG Kush grow I was thinking I'll be lucky to get 4 zips so straggly did she look. I laughed at my foolishness for thinking I could get 8 zips. Ended up harvesting 13 zips. This was bit annoying because like, how do you top that. So next grow putting what I learned to use, I ended up with 18 zips from a single plant, in two harvests one at 11 and one at 16, which brought in 5 and 13 respecively so that's a total of 18. Now this was a bit of a revelation for me. So I was about how much can I yield.

But that's over for me now, I've proved it to myself, and now I'm not interested in that, what I'm about now is growing attractive smaller plants and a bigger variety. I'm on about reducing everything to it's bare bones, trying to grow the best dope without any additives. So I'm only a beginner and I just really want to get into the mind of these plants. I think they want me to do that.

I'm currently trying 3 in one pot with the idea of just getting a couple of zips of each. I get where you're coming from with the lighting, believe me when I say no one like measuring things more than me, and I drove myself to the brink of insanity both with nutrients and lighting. I'm over all that now. It was a pretty quick transition for me. I'm just not interested at all in grams per watt, however I appreciate the interest in producing the most from the least, but again I'm going in a different direction. I suspect that it is possible to do strange hormone mind fuck stuff with these plants using only lighting or other types of stress, it's just a hunch but that's what I"m on about now.

Here's my current grow hopefully in a day or two I'll get updates for the three in a post here's where they're up to atm.

Well what I was about when I started was wondering how much I could get off a plant, I hoped for 8 zips because I thought that should be easy, turns out that by day 50 of my OG Kush grow I was thinking I'll be lucky to get 4 zips so straggly did she look. I laughed at my foolishness for thinking I could get 8 zips. Ended up harvesting 13 zips. This was bit annoying because like, how do you top that. So next grow putting what I learned to use, I ended up with 18 zips from a single plant, in two harvests one at 11 and one at 16, which brought in 5 and 13 respecively so that's a total of 18. Now this was a bit of a revelation for me. So I was about how much can I yield.

But that's over for me now, I've proved it to myself, and now I'm not interested in that, what I'm about now is growing attractive smaller plants and a bigger variety. I'm on about reducing everything to it's bare bones, trying to grow the best dope without any additives. So I'm only a beginner and I just really want to get into the mind of these plants. I think they want me to do that.

I'm currently trying 3 in one pot with the idea of just getting a couple of zips of each. I get where you're coming from with the lighting, believe me when I say no one like measuring things more than me, and I drove myself to the brink of insanity both with nutrients and lighting. I'm over all that now. It was a pretty quick transition for me. I'm just not interested at all in grams per watt, however I appreciate the interest in producing the most from the least, but again I'm going in a different direction. I suspect that it is possible to do strange hormone mind fuck stuff with these plants using only lighting or other types of stress, it's just a hunch but that's what I"m on about now.

Here's my current grow hopefully in a day or two I'll get updates for the three in a post here's where they're up to atm.

Amazing results with a great looking setup! I've come nowhere close to achieving those kinds of yields from a single plant. That said, DWC/hydro has always been perceived, by me, to add an unneeded layer of complexity.

I'm happy with my efficient little setup... ~1lb every 75-85 days off of 200 watts in a compact 2x4x4 tent is already far more than I can consume. I end up giving 3/4 of everything away to friends and family. But nothing quite like seeing the process through and pulling out fantastic quality flower.

Give a holler to @MrOldBoy if you're looking for a correct LOS grow - you can also see a little more here:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...-alien-vs-triangle.70375/page-16#post-2109348

And this gem of a thread here:

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/mephisto-sams-crack-completed-dry-cure.70062/

A truly remarkable outcome from a great dude.

Anyways, I briefly checked out your thread earlier this morning - looks great. I'll join along, looking forward to seeing it progress and to our future conversations.

Cheers

I wonder if you could get good worm castings from throwing your trimmed leaves and such into the worm bin... I know you could probably get your worms pretty high lol

Quick Answer - No.

Back