Mephisto Genetics Mephisto genetics customer service/feedback thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to germing seeds, my go to move is adding a few drops of h202 (hydrogen peroxide) to my ro water. It's never failed me. If the seeds don't germ with the use of h202, I consider it a bad seed. If you haven't researched the benefits of h202 in germination, I recommend looking into it. The h202 will disinfect the seed shell (super important), soften the seed shell so the tap root doesn't have to work so hard to get out, and probably most importantly, it oxygenates the water, so the seed can "breathe" and grow easily. There have been many studies and papers written on its use/benefits. Who knows how many naked hands touched that seed before we go to germ it. Also keep in mind that bathroom tissue and many paper towels infuse fragrances and other chemicals into their products. Once the seeds are wrapped in that damp material, they come in direct contact with, and absorb those chemicals. Not good. here are a million variables when it comes to germing seeds. Just remember try to give your seed the cleanest/most sterile/purest germ environment possible. I don't trust any paper towel/napkin/tissue. I trust oxygenated ro water, and spot on temps. And I never pick up or touch the seeds with my bare hands. Mephistos germ tech is awesome. But it's what works for THEM, in THEIR environment. Putting a seed in a paper towel, then into a DVD case, then wrapping it in a shirt may create perfect germ conditions, where they are. Doing the same in your environment could be 5 degrees to hot. You have to find what works best for you and your environment. Hope this helps someone a little.
Good post, but how much h2o2 in how much water? So people have a rough idea of ratio you use? I agree with not touching seeds and personally I soak and plant directly. ZERO touching involved. I think people snuff their seeds out sometimes. Oxygen and moisture is needed. And many people super soak their paper towels too much IMO. But as you said, find a method that works for YOU and stick with it. Peace

Good post, but how much h2o2 in how much water? So people have a rough idea of ratio you use? I agree with not touching seeds and personally I soak and plant directly. ZERO touching involved. I think people snuff their seeds out sometimes. Oxygen and moisture is needed. And many people super soak their paper towels too much IMO. But as you said, find a method that works for YOU and stick with it. Peace
Great question! I'm a little weird maybe, but I have a "germination water" bottle in my fridge, lol. It's made up of 1 cup ro water and 1 TSP of hydrogen peroxide, and just use it as needed. I germ in the same little vials that the seeds come in until tap roots are showing. No paper used at all. Then straight into final pot or wherever.

I can tell everyone my Own personal experience with Sour Crack. Not sure how the seed batches/stock lines up...But I literally just started 4 Sour Crack seeds and have 4/4 growing. My Seeds are from 2017 Black Friday sale. So, they are pretty old. They did take longer to pop by a day and I UPPED my temps by shutting my exhaust fan off in my seedling tent. With normal germ times and temps I usually see a cracked shell with or without a tail within 24 hrs in straight RO water. I plant them after a 24hr soak. They did not crack open in 24 hrs. But I planted them. They were all above ground 2-3 days later. BUT, I can say without raising my temps...I very well could have failed. A FEW degrees this time of year at the most FRAGILE state of a plants life is a huge deal. Some seeds have harder shells or need warmer temps. Possibly a scuff if you are having issues. Looks like some are possibly planting too deep or covering the seed too much as well. Minor things can make a difference. Good luck

I was keeping what you said about winters and germing and seedlings in mind when I did mine. I did get taps on both beans so I know I was doing something right to germinate but since they did take a week I probably could have raised the temp a bit for the germination. I use a heat mat underneath a stack of DVDs and I use an infrared and digital thermometer to check temps right at the where the beans are on the dvd stack. I add/remove dvds to adjust temp. I would say I averaged 71F/21C for germ. If I bumped that up I might have had a faster germ. But my other beans all germed in less than 48 hours under the same conditions so I thought its all good temp wise.

Also I did use a couple of drops of h2o2 in my germ spray bottle.

My issue must have been in how I managed things once they were in the cups. Next time I'll nail it.

Great question! I'm a little weird maybe, but I have a "germination water" bottle in my fridge, lol. It's made up of 1 cup ro water and 1 TSP of hydrogen peroxide, and just use it as needed. I germ in the same little vials that the seeds come in until tap roots are showing. No paper used at all. Then straight into final pot or wherever.
I'm gonna do a side by side with your method. I will let everyone know the results. I just wanted a ratio, since you know it works. Don't need to have someone to crash with too much h2o2! Will try this on some seeds today! I don't have germ issues, but I feel a good starting seed is important for the entire grow really.

I was keeping what you said about winters and germing and seedlings in mind when I did mine. I did get taps on both beans so I know I was doing something right to germinate but since they did take a week I probably could have raised the temp a bit for the germination. I use a heat mat underneath a stack of DVDs and I use an infrared and digital thermometer to check temps right at the where the beans are on the dvd stack. I add/remove dvds to adjust temp. I would say I averaged 71F/21C for germ. If I bumped that up I might have had a faster germ. But my other beans all germed in less than 48 hours under the same conditions so I thought its all good temp wise.

Also I did use a couple of drops of h2o2 in my germ spray bottle.

My issue must have been in how I managed things once they were in the cups. Next time I'll nail it.
71F is too low..by 10 degrees. There in lies your issue.

Germ for me is place seeds in root riot and place root riot in final pot. Water it and place a clear plastic cup over it. I water it once per day and on day 3 I have a sprout. Simple

This has now become my "go to germ method" since last summer.

Thanks for ratio, going to add this (h2o2 and RO water, today I just use RO water) to my "go to germ method"

Agree with @slowandeasy, always shoot for between 80dgf and 83dgf.

20C are 68 F and 26C are 79F.
Well that would make sense, thanks for the conversion. And 68F is a recipe for failure, therefore 20C is too! I am not sure if 20C is a common theme for germ instructions...But I would definitely suggest 26C not 20C ever. Good luck everyone

Hey guys... Could you recommend a good strain for outdoors in a northern climate? Recommendations highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

what issue? I germed 15 seeds out of 15 using the method described. But the SC's took way longer than all the others. I am not the best at doing averages on temp. But its winter. I germ in the house basement which is cooler. And we did have a period at night where the HE furnace exhausting at the outside wall clogged up a bit so the furnace shut down and she was cold in the morning the next day. Thru all these variables in temperature swings I'm measuring temp thru the day trying to keep it around 25C. That is my sweet spot for germ. But with the variables like the furnace conking out the temps shifted a bit so I had to guess on an average of 21C. Average must have really been higher for all 15 to germ. So maybe it was avg of 24C. Enough to germ anyway. Except those SC's are more complicated and as I mentioned I prob did not manage them in the cups well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back