Mephisto Genetics Mephisto genetics customer service/feedback thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 different sites :thumbsup:

Dude until now (yes I haven't been on it in months) when you type mephistogenetics.com you had option to choose which site do you want,now it gets you on US site..

It's nice for stopping spam :thumbsup:

I would argue that it can be,depending on application. On a public forum dedicated to granny's knitting I can see it. On a web shop that works in a very difficult industry and has until recently required bitcoin only it makes absolutely no sense from the perspective of customer safety. Even if you live in a legal state their is a lot of money to be made from ripping your plants. These captchas collect and track us as we move throughout the web, I think the fact that this kind of tracking is brand new and possibly that many members of online cannabis communities feel safe to be members due to legalization makes us forget the very real risks both legal and non that people who grow face.

If your website is facing spam like that, other options exist that don't sacrifice community safety. For profit multi national companies that have in the past openly cooperated with law enforcement are not something you want to plug into communities that are full of at risk members.

Captchas like this are either lazy, you know better but you don't want to implement another solution or a result of less technical experience. I hope as we move further into the future the cannabis industry becomes more focused on privacy and security. I am a huge MephHead frankly and have nothing but respect for the people at Mephisto. I assume in their use case it is a result of not doing a thorough cost/benefit analysis on the advantages and costs of the implementation. I think weed is a special area that requires more discretion.

Now I will get off my soap box!

20191209_131624.jpg
they landed!!
Just waiting on the mrs to let me know what the freebies are!

I would argue that it can be,depending on application. On a public forum dedicated to granny's knitting I can see it. On a web shop that works in a very difficult industry and has until recently required bitcoin only it makes absolutely no sense from the perspective of customer safety. Even if you live in a legal state their is a lot of money to be made from ripping your plants. These captchas collect and track us as we move throughout the web, I think the fact that this kind of tracking is brand new and possibly that many members of online cannabis communities feel safe to be members due to legalization makes us forget the very real risks both legal and non that people who grow face.

AFN actually uses Captcha for our new user registrations. If we don't, we see a world of spammers trying to join the site (we still manually approve all accounts on top of everything because they still get through from time to time.) I understand there's pretty much always another option or "better" way to do things, but sometimes there's a reason for using the "status quo," not just out of convenience, but because they successfully work for the purpose they are intended for without needing to spend an arm and a leg. Not to downplay the security aspect of it, but the likelihood of someone using Captcha to "sniff out" growers so they can steal from them seems a bit "out there." :hump: I live in Colorado, I'd have an easier time taking a walk down the alley and looking for the first fence over 6 feet tall if I wanted to be a crop thief.

Captchas like this are either lazy, you know better but you don't want to implement another solution or a result of less technical experience. I hope as we move further into the future the cannabis industry becomes more focused on privacy and security. I am a huge MephHead frankly and have nothing but respect for the people at Mephisto. I assume in their use case it is a result of not doing a thorough cost/benefit analysis on the advantages and costs of the implementation. I think weed is a special area that requires more discretion.

Based on the assumption that everyone involved in cannabis has a huge team, developers, or piles of money (which many of us do not.) Don't forget that common sense goes a long ways when posting about cannabis online (and that's free!) We've removed dozens of images from here over the years because someone forgot a box or letter was on the table with a postal address, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back