Old Reviews Mars Hydro TS 600 and TS 1000 Review

Reaction score
I'm new to growing, just working on my second ever grow. When I was getting set up I wanted a cost effective setup that wasn't going to compromise on quality. I could always move up down the line if I wanted more. So browsing on Amazon I see the Mars Hydro lights have pretty good reviews. A lot of the negative reviews were people saying two of the RED LED's are dim and burning out. Of course those are the IR lights that are supposed to be exactly like that. So factor out those comments and the reviews are pretty solid for Mars.

So I got a 2x4 tent and two TS600's. Pretty good I thought. Started a photo period grow with four Black Banana Cookies. The plants were doing quite well, couldn't complain. But I think for the size of the tent the two 600's were ok, but not great. So I decided on adding a TS1000. PERFECT!! Once I added that baby in between the 600's my tent lit up. It's super bright in there now. My first grow was a SCROG, very packed in there and the light still penetrated deep into the bush. I had excellent yield and the plants flourished.

I will note the 600's can get a little hot. I run a fan that is aimed across the top of the lights. This keeps the 600 closest to the fan very cool and the one furthest very warm, but not hot. The 1000 doesn't get as hot as the 600's, not even close actually. Must be a much more efficient light/power supply.

Now the 1000 has a dimmer. But with my limited knowledge I don't know why or when to use this. So far I only use it when I have to stick my head under the lights for whatever reason, I dim it so I'm not blinded. Other than that, is there a stage in the grow where I should dim this light? I assume seedling only? IDK, I keep it full blast 100%

Also, love that it comes with all of the adjustable ratchet straps you need. Makes setup super simple. The free stickers are cute, but a tip to Mars, don't bother sticking the ones on the actual light, after a day of running the lights they starting peeling off due to the heat. They come off easy and clean, so no big deal, but I can't imaging they stay on anyone's light very long.

I am running my autos on a 20 on 4 off schedule.

Anyhow, I really like my Mars Hydro lights. There seem to be a fantastic bang for the buck.

I have a grow journal I'm adding to now, you can see how big the plants have grown under these lights.

20210113_224536.jpg

You can see the fan I run above the lights. And another below aimed at the plants. With this and the exhaust fan I get a lot of air flow going on and it keeps the warm internal air and cold fresh air mixing nicely.

20210113_224617.jpg

20210115_192337.jpg

Like you I started with 2 x ts600 and am/was thinking about adding a 3rd but might just go with the 1000 as well.

I have the same Mars Hydro 2x4x6ft tent and 2 x TS1000, I got well over 500 gram of dried/cured weed in my very first grow with that setup, I'll be adding a 3rd TS1000 to it in a week or two to have it 110% optimised for flowering time :)
Your setup is great except for maybe the TS600 being a bit old school and under powered but you have 2 of them plus the TS1000, you could upgrade one of the TS600 to a 1000 version maybe but it wouldn't be a radical change I think.

I just bought another tent because if you read my grow journal I accidentally have one photo period growing with three autos. So I got a 2x3 tent to just grow photos in now. This tent will be good for two plants at a time, but for now I'm just going to move the one photo that should be flipped to flower now. I'm going to keep the to 600's and 1000 in the 2x4 tent for autos. I agree, I wouldn't buy more 600's, I'd recommend the 1000's for sure. But for this new tent the wife was too keen on me duplicating what I just bought a bout 4 months ago now. So I found a Topsun light on Amazon for $85 that the PPFD chart is in between the Mars 600 and 1000. For $85 I had to give this a try as I'm trying to keep my costs down on my second tent and add to it over time. I'm really happy with the Mars lights, so it will be interesting to compare this super low cost light to the Mars versions. The Mars 1000 is $220 in Canada, so if this budget light's PPFD chart is accurate I could buy 3 of these lights for the cost of one Mars 1000. The Topsun has a dimmer as well and claims to use the latest Samsung LED's. We'll see, it should come in tomorrow.

I also have an AC Infinity fan in my tent now that I can only set to half speed since it's works so well. So again to reduce startup costs for my second tent I was gonna get a duct splitter and run another vent tube to the second tent and a fliter and draw from both tents with the one fan. Not sure how well this will work, but figuring if I can only keep the fan at half speed now if I set it to full speed I think I might be ok.

As per my last post here check out my review of the budget Likesun LED I just got. Impressed!

@CDN88
I started with 2 Ts1000 in a 2x4.
Then I got 2 Phlizon 600's with the dimmers.
So far I prefer the 600s,odd huh.
Why you ask. simple...tent height limitations.
I now have 1 1000 in a 4x4, 2 600's in the 2x4....and another 600 over 2 seedlings in DWC buckets.
I maintain 250ppfd over the seedlings with the 600( easy with the dimmer).
Do the math.
$225/1000 = $0.22 per watt.
$85/600 = $0.14 per watt.
The Phlizon may be considered inferior to the MH ( but they get the job done).

I know the sceptics and purist are gonna moan and bitch about my post...
Put a watt meter ( $15 on Amazon) on the ts1000, tune it to 250ppfd with a PAR meter.
And guess what, both consume the same power from the wall.
The Phlizon is 60% of the power at 40% of the cost ( vs a TS 1000).

Ah your question about adjusting the ts1000.
When the plant is 4 foot in a 5 foot tent.
Either cut a hole in the roof.
HST the plant back to 3 feet.
Or dial down the light.
The TS1000 at 1 foot over the best of strains will either taco your leaves/plant.
Or create calcium def'c.

@GeorgeCloney I got a Topsun budget light TS1000 the other day and TBH I love it. $85 and sits in between a Mars 600 and 1000.
Full review here Topsun TS-1000 | The Autoflower Network
I do get your point about the $$ return on investment. That's why I'm so happy about my new budget light that seems to be a great value/performance ratio.

@GeorgeCloney I got a Topsun budget light TS1000 the other day and TBH I love it. $85 and sits in between a Mars 600 and 1000.
Full review here Topsun TS-1000 | The Autoflower Network
I do get your point about the $$ return on investment. That's why I'm so happy about my new budget light that seems to be a great value/performance ratio.
The knock off light companies are gonna give MH a run for their money.
Are the TS1000 good (yes).
Are they worth $225 Cdn, I'm not convinced.
Especially having a cheap light to compare it to.
Glad to hear & know you're happy with the less expensive light too.
cheers :cheers:

I've run a ts1000 between 3 cobs for a couple of years...rotating plants of all flowering stages...the cobs put the weight on and the TS throws the last punch to finish.
I too buy on budget, shop for best value, read reviews...the MH lights are as good as any...(talking amazon...)

Looking at upgrading from 1st grow 2x xts600's... to 2 x ts1000 with 1 ts 600 in between and using the other ts600 for the moms. Like my 600's, pretty sure I'll like the 1000's. More reveiws on these budget lights might change my mind.....you got 2 weeks to convince me.

Back