Indoor Mars Hydro grow journal: WildBill does Hubbabubbasmelloscope in EarthBoxes under MarsHydro SP3000

OH HELL YES! Post away! If I can learn something, I'll have it here in my thread to refer back to. That's why I go into such silly ass details. I have it for future reference.
Thanks Bill :toke:

So back in 2017-2018 fall n winter I ran a raised bed in my basement more or less the same thing as your earthbox except for it is 3 ft wide and 12 ft long and 13 in deep. Made from wood 2x12x12 plus a 2x2x12 cap piece to hold the tarp in place. Then I perforated the bottom of the tarp with little holes to allow drainage to flow out to my in floor basement drain.
Screenshot_20210303-084017_(1).png

Then
I put filled the bottom of it with pea Stone . And the clay pellets . This allowed it to have good drainage. Then then I covered it with Garden mesh to keep the dirt from falling down inside the rocks and Clay pellets. And then I filled it with a mix of ocean forest and Happy Frog along with a ton of amendments and bat guano.
Screenshot_20210303-084056_(1).png

I only ran 2 crops through it.
And It worked awesomely:thumbsup::thumbsup::headbang: it had worms in it beneficial nematodes it was just like outside but inside. I did not use a living cover crop. I just don't have time to deal with that that's the only reason why I don't do that type of grow.:shrug: But I put everything that the worms need to eat and all the life can existence inside all that soil.
The soil had compost cow and horse manure in it and 2 × 36 ground up broken whole eggs banana peels leafy green stuff everything that the worms and critters that live in the soil outside could live inside and survive. I put logs in it old promise log and old wood chips that could hold water that the roots of the plants could go down and nurse on that in case that it ever got dry they still would always have water. I had it set up really well.
Screenshot_20210303-084157_(1).png
Screenshot_20210303-084247_(1).png
Screenshot_20210303-084347_(1).png
Screenshot_20210303-084409_(1).png

I ran the crops 2 by 2 so that I had 12 total. it was very easy to grow. I don't have very tall basement ceiling so I practice a lot of LST and super cropping to keep my crops low and full.
Well there you go. It was a lot of fun and I would do it again if I had a place where I could set it up where was more permanent cuz that was a lot of digging out. it was probably something like 22 bags of soil Plus probably and plus I think there was like 6 or 7 bags of compost cow manure and horse manure plus just a ton of amendments and vermiculite and also the moss.
I'm still using this soil today. As it's part of my cage grow in the backyard of the 18 in deep 24 by 20 garden grow outside. I have also good 1 ton pickup truck load to take up to my property up north to run with my plants up there this summer too.
:thumbsup::smokeout:

Last edited:
Yeah, I want to have my own Monster like MrOldBoy did!
View attachment 1293047

Yeah, I've built quite a few street cars and race cars, both drag and racecourse.
Sadly I've stopped racing myself because it's just too difficult for me to quickly and safely exit in an emergency. Docs telling me I'd be back in a wheelchair if I wreck and probably permanently this time with the current state of my injuries from my military service. was also a major factor. LOL!
Ha ha I thought I had, me too, drag mainly cars n bikes. Here in the UK so much smaller scale lol... I was wondering if building and racing things has had a positive effect on your growing as it has mine...... I tend to approach things like I did racing... A car will tell you what it needs if you understand it. Our plants pretty much do the same thing. I am a stickler for if there is something not right... Make a change to only 1 thing at a time and see what happens.. I used to watch guys in the pit attacking 4 or 5 areas of the car, where I would either do nothing or adjust 1 thing... I would dial mine in way before theirs lol... I do the same with my girls and it seems to work :d5: :vibes:

Growtogrow

Killer set up!!!
If I build a grow room in my shop, I'll have something on the same order. but in 100 gal bags. I can have several in tents to have girls in different stages of life to have a continuing harvest and planting. I would definitely have a permeant cover crop and a full no-till living earth grow.
Grows would get better with each one!

Ha ha I thought I had, me too, drag mainly cars n bikes. Here in the UK so much smaller scale lol... I was wondering if building and racing things has had a positive effect on your growing as it has mine...... I tend to approach things like I did racing... A car will tell you what it needs if you understand it. Our plants pretty much do the same thing. I am a stickler for if there is something not right... Make a change to only 1 thing at a time and see what happens.. I used to watch guys in the pit attacking 4 or 5 areas of the car, where I would either do nothing or adjust 1 thing... I would dial mine in way before theirs lol... I do the same with my girls and it seems to work :d5: :vibes:
Yeah! To race well, to build well and to paint well, you must be diligent to maintain a standard of consistency and strive to obtain and record as much info as possible. Ensuring this is occurring, you can access the level of your performance and an idea in which direction to go to improve that performance. When changes made lessen performance, you have means to revert to the proceeding setup. When dialing in a setup, it's best to make as few changes as possible at one time. Most of the time, I only made one change at a time, unless they were closely related...........like boost level and ramp rate.
I kept logs of test n tunes, races and other non-legal racing events. :eyebrows:
Data data data! Yeah............I collected and recorded LOTS! LOL! It would take up half a page of what I recorded! LOL! But I had data on my set ups at quite a few tracks around the nation. I had an idea on what would be a good starting point at that track.

With all that, it boils down to, I try to grow canna the same way. My long posts filled with a bunch of "stuff" in it is the result. My biggest reason I post in this fashion is to document what I do is for my future reference. I do need to thread mark better to mark high points.

Yeah! To race well, to build well and to paint well, you must be diligent to maintain a standard of consistency and strive to obtain and record as much info as possible. Ensuring this is occurring, you can access the level of your performance and an idea in which direction to go to improve that performance. When changes made lessen performance, you have means to revert to the proceeding setup. When dialing in a setup, it's best to make as few changes as possible at one time. Most of the time, I only made one change at a time, unless they were closely related...........like boost level and ramp rate.
I kept logs of test n tunes, races and other non-legal racing events. :eyebrows:
Data data data! Yeah............I collected and recorded LOTS! LOL! It would take up half a page of what I recorded! LOL! But I had data on my set ups at quite a few tracks around the nation. I had an idea on what would be a good starting point at that track.

With all that, it boils down to, I try to grow canna the same way. My long posts filled with a bunch of "stuff" in it is the result. My biggest reason I post in this fashion is to document what I do is for my future reference. I do need to thread mark better to mark high points.
A man after my own heart.. :d5:

Thanks Bill :toke:

So back in 2017-2018 fall n winter I ran a raised bed in my basement more or less the same thing as your earthbox except for it is 3 ft wide and 12 ft long and 13 in deep. Made from wood 2x12x12 plus a 2x2x12 cap piece to hold the tarp in place. Then I perforated the bottom of the tarp with little holes to allow drainage to flow out to my in floor basement drain.View attachment 1293095
Then
I put filled the bottom of it with pea Stone . And the clay pellets . This allowed it to have good drainage. Then then I covered it with Garden mesh to keep the dirt from falling down inside the rocks and Clay pellets. And then I filled it with a mix of ocean forest and Happy Frog along with a ton of amendments and bat guano.
View attachment 1293096
I only ran 2 crops through it.
And It worked awesomely:thumbsup::thumbsup::headbang: it had worms in it beneficial nematodes it was just like outside but inside. I did not use a living cover crop. I just don't have time to deal with that that's the only reason why I don't do that type of grow.:shrug: But I put everything that the worms need to eat and all the life can existence inside all that soil.
The soil had compost cow and horse manure in it and 2 × 36 ground up broken whole eggs banana peels leafy green stuff everything that the worms and critters that live in the soil outside could live inside and survive. I put logs in it old promise log and old wood chips that could hold water that the roots of the plants could go down and nurse on that in case that it ever got dry they still would always have water. I had it set up really well.View attachment 1293102View attachment 1293101View attachment 1293100View attachment 1293099
I ran the crops 2 by 2 so that I had 12 total. it was very easy to grow. I don't have very tall basement ceiling so I practice a lot of LST and super cropping to keep my crops low and full.
Well there you go. It was a lot of fun and I would do it again if I had a place where I could set it up where was more permanent cuz that was a lot of digging out. it was probably something like 22 bags of soil Plus probably and plus I think there was like 6 or 7 bags of compost cow manure and horse manure plus just a ton of amendments and vermiculite and also the moss.
I'm still using this soil today. As it's part of my cage grow in the backyard of the 18 in deep 24 by 20 garden grow outside. I have also good 1 ton pickup truck load to take up to my property up north to run with my plants up there this summer too.
:thumbsup::smokeout:
Man, that's a set up.. Epic work :worship: :d5:

Just before lights on pics
IMG_20210303_165246851_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210303_165255360_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210303_165302118_HDR.jpg

Watered both Earthboxes with the big girl taking just over 3/4 gal and the little girl took just over half gallon.
Most of the HBSS have come up to the top colas of Stomper and Kong.
Gonna have to look back to see when I Topdressed the HBSS and plan the final one, unless they run long. I think the best time will be the next time the 7gal pots need watering/
I think compost tea with Boost is in order again for all the girls. This time of year it seems more difficult to sprout barley, so I think once I soak them and then drain, wrap the jar in foil to keep the light out and put it in the tent to keep it warm. SST made and administered with the tea at the time of application. Just trying to deal with the problem and make the best of it.
I do think both HBSS still stand a good chance of making a pretty decent harvest. Bud formation are showing pretty good potential with the spacing both are showing.
Gonna try different lighting next time for lights out pics! LOL!

this is a great discussion that includes some info on growing in Sips..check it out!

I'll check it out!
simoiget
Yes do..I think there is possibly some insight into the issues you and I have had with our SIP grows and at the very least I can say it increased my understanding of SIP growing which can only be good...the whole thing is good but the SIP discussion starts around the 30 min mark :headbang:

Back