New Grower Magical mystery grow (2x Brooklyn Sunrise A, 1x WW A, 1x Sweety A)

@the green bandit , @Zollies_zn : thank you guys for kind words, it is encouraging for me. When I read other growers' threads, I am always impressed how big and bushy their plants are and mine look inferior to them. We have got a proverb for such a feeling, saying something like : Neighbour's cow gives always more milk. ;)

Anyway in this post I want to gripe about something what is totally out of my (or any other outdoor grower) control:

The weather is constantly trying to ruin my growing attempt.

First of all - we had the coldest May in 30 years. It is normal here to begin outdoor in the first week of May, but this year we had got night frosts till the half of May. I planned the summer solstice for the middle of my grow, so the plants get the most of the sunbeams possible, but the cold weather delayed my start for almost a month.

First half of June was pretty decent, but then came a heat wave. Scorching sun with tropical temperatures attacking 40°C (104°F) and many temperature records were beaten.

July is abnormally cold again, a little sun only, day temperatures 20 - 24°C (60 - 75°F) - that is ok, I suppose - but in the night they drop way down to 10°C (50°F). What more, it started to rain two days ago, the pots are heavily soaked (flush with best water available for free, hooray ;)) ) and I am thinking of giving my ladies a shelter at my pergola.

What are my weapons to fight this disfavor of the weather? I have got only one: genetics

the heats and rain are mitigated by tropical sativa genes
the colds are handled by Siberian ruderalis genes
and the delay in May was overcome by my phlegmatic genes :headbang:

Although it could be much worse - strong storms, winds or ice hails, I want to quote one of our classic writers: "This kind of summer seems a little unfortunate to me."

Day 46
(3 days ago)
group photo of my ladies in the soft morning sun (from left to right - unknown strain yet, unknown strain yet, unknown strain yet):eyebrows:
for scale - the pots are 33cm(13 inch) tall

IMG-20190709-day46.jpg

@the green bandit , @Zollies_zn : thank you guys for kind words, it is encouraging for me. When I read other growers' threads, I am always impressed how big and bushy their plants are and mine look inferior to them. We have got a proverb for such a feeling, saying something like : Neighbour's cow gives always more milk. ;)

Anyway in this post I want to gripe about something what is totally out of my (or any other outdoor grower) control:

The weather is constantly trying to ruin my growing attempt.

First of all - we had the coldest May in 30 years. It is normal here to begin outdoor in the first week of May, but this year we had got night frosts till the half of May. I planned the summer solstice for the middle of my grow, so the plants get the most of the sunbeams possible, but the cold weather delayed my start for almost a month.

First half of June was pretty decent, but then came a heat wave. Scorching sun with tropical temperatures attacking 40°C (104°F) and many temperature records were beaten.

July is abnormally cold again, a little sun only, day temperatures 20 - 24°C (60 - 75°F) - that is ok, I suppose - but in the night they drop way down to 10°C (50°F). What more, it started to rain two days ago, the pots are heavily soaked (flush with best water available for free, hooray ;)) ) and I am thinking of giving my ladies a shelter at my pergola.

What are my weapons to fight this disfavor of the weather? I have got only one: genetics

the heats and rain are mitigated by tropical sativa genes
the colds are handled by Siberian ruderalis genes
and the delay in May was overcome by my phlegmatic genes :headbang:

Although it could be much worse - strong storms, winds or ice hails, I want to quote one of our classic writers: "This kind of summer seems a little unfortunate to me."

Day 46
(3 days ago)
group photo of my ladies in the soft morning sun (from left to right - unknown strain yet, unknown strain yet, unknown strain yet):eyebrows:
for scale - the pots are 33cm(13 inch) tall

View attachment 1077538

Hahaha that proverb is excellent, I’ll remember that! I also have that feeling often man - seeing guys harvesting some massive plants covered in frost[emoji1787] but at the end of the day we do this out of love, and the reward is so fulfilling despite differences in people’s grows!

Wow man, that is some crazy ass weather, and I thought I had some bad weather to deal with [emoji2301] that’s hectic man!!

Well your plants seem to be doing great, so you must be pleased? You’ve looked after them well! The only thing that I could think of would be to bring the plants indoors or to a shelter at night if it gets very cold - same goes for if there is hail or heavy driving rains (rot :/ )

You could even construct a little lean to shade cloth cover to help!

Now that I read back you mentioned a perhola shelter [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]already on it I see!!

If it’s raining a lot, you can help drain the ladies by putting them on something to lift them off the ground a few cm’s to allow airflow at the bottom - not sure it’s necessary cause you’re ladies are loooking a looooovely!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@420Forever : thank you, sir!
@Zollies_zn : thank you very much for your input, especially when I see that you typed it on your phone! :d5: You are right, I am happy about how the growing turns out so far.
I am an IT guy and the gardening itself brings a lot of joy and some kind of balance into my otherwise overly technical life. And because I am a newbie, I don't expect stellar or record breaking crop, but the process alone is rewarding.

The weather got better for couple of days finally. Still not the kind of summer that we are used to, but much better for the plants. 23 - 26°C (73 - 79°F) during the day and 12 -16°C (54 - 61°F) in the nights and what is the most important, it is mostly sunny with some showers here and there.

The vertical growth spurt is ending, resulting in the average height of 70 cm (27.5 inches) with two tallest ladies around 82 cm (32 inches).

I was afraid that the 30l (8 gallon) pots are maybe too big for autoflowers, but the roots already grow through the sides of pots and are exposed to the air pruning.:thumbsup:

Lady [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] - so far smallest, but with the most even tops
IMG-20190717-1-full.jpg

Group photo of Ladies [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG]

IMG-20190717-group-3-4-2.jpg

So far, so good , touch wood. At least I hope. Except for the bending of main stem on the very beginning, the plants are let to grow naturally how they want. I just water and feed them.

If you have got any recommendations or questions, I am one ear and will be glad for any feedback.

thank you for stopping by. In the next post, I want to cover my choice of strains, with some official info and maybe ask you for help with identifying what lady is what strain.

Have a nice day and keep 'em growing !
HJ

@420Forever : thank you, sir!
@Zollies_zn : thank you very much for your input, especially when I see that you typed it on your phone! :d5: You are right, I am happy about how the growing turns out so far.
I am an IT guy and the gardening itself brings a lot of joy and some kind of balance into my otherwise overly technical life. And because I am a newbie, I don't expect stellar or record breaking crop, but the process alone is rewarding.

The weather got better for couple of days finally. Still not the kind of summer that we are used to, but much better for the plants. 23 - 26°C (73 - 79°F) during the day and 12 -16°C (54 - 61°F) in the nights and what is the most important, it is mostly sunny with some showers here and there.

The vertical growth spurt is ending, resulting in the average height of 70 cm (27.5 inches) with two tallest ladies around 82 cm (32 inches).

I was afraid that the 30l (8 gallon) pots are maybe too big for autoflowers, but the roots already grow through the sides of pots and are exposed to the air pruning.:thumbsup:

Lady [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] - so far smallest, but with the most even tops
View attachment 1079810

Group photo of Ladies [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG]

View attachment 1079811

So far, so good , touch wood. At least I hope. Except for the bending of main stem on the very beginning, the plants are let to grow naturally how they want. I just water and feed them.

If you have got any recommendations or questions, I am one ear and will be glad for any feedback.

thank you for stopping by. In the next post, I want to cover my choice of strains, with some official info and maybe ask you for help with identifying what lady is what strain.

Have a nice day and keep 'em growing !
HJ

ah, ya jus can't beat that big ol' light bulb in the sky :wizzy: :cools:

and :slap: given for leavin em "...to grow naturally how they want"...me totally admire that! :greenthumb:

and :slap: given for leavin em "...to grow naturally how they want"...me totally admire that! :greenthumb:

There is nothing to admire, it is combination of these factors:

- my lack of skill
- my lazyness
- idea, that less handling = less chance to screw something up
- idea, that there is unlimited space outdoors, and plants know best how they want to get to sunbeams
:eyebrows:

Hello everyone,

so here is a promised little background info about what and why I grow.

20 years ago, when I started to experiment with smoking MJ I had no idea, that so many strains exist.
We puffed anything, what anyone brought. When it was weak, we called it "outtie" (grown outdoors) or ganja,
when it was strong, it was reffered to as "skunk". Our tolernace was low, if any.

Once a friend came and said: Ok, guys, today I have got something really special. I just came from Amsterdam and brought you this.
And rolled a joint of micro size. (Selfish bastard, wants to have more only for himself, we thought.)
- That will be enough, he explained.

He lit it and we hit it. And it was like:
Oooooh myyyyyy *exhales smoke slowly* Goooood. Five! ...four! .?!#&*?!?!*whoooom** BLAST OFF!
WTF?WhatsGoingOn?*giggle**giggle*I'mSoooBaked*giggle* LOL IsTheJointFinishedYet? *giggle* And why can't I stop giggling?
- Oh man, pass it already!

and that's how I was introduced to the REAL thing - the White Widow.

Fast forward through the upcoming years, when I tried a lot of different strains - Super skunk, Skunk [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG], Orange Bud, Chitral, Big bud, Cinderella, Mazar, Sweet tooth and
many others, but none were as good as the WW, and only few were really special to remember their name.

This spring, when I decided to try growing, i found out, that the autoflowering varieties became a thing and said to myself:
If the WW was top notch in the beggining of noughties, lets find a lately award winning autoflowering offspring of it.
And when I came across Moby Dick Auto by Dinafem, I was sold.

But when I arrived to a local seedbank, i was told by the long dreadlocked guy:
- Sorry pal, sold out!

So what now? I am in a hurry, I have no time to go through the big pile of breeders' strain catalogues. I had no backup plan.
- Ok, then I want 5 seeds of any WW auto. ... and when I was ready to pay and go, the guy says:
- Dude, do you know, that we have this promo action going on - buy 3, pay just 2 ? So you can have more options...
- Well, fine, but I have no idea what else to buy, could your recommend me something, please ? I like the cerebral sativa high, with no couchlock.
- Then try this Brooklyn Sunrise, a friend of mine has grown it, good yield and effects you are looking for.

and for the last package, I was just quickly going through the strains displayed in the show-cases. And I see - Sweety Auto, that sounds sweet ;)
and it is an autoflowering offspring of Sweet tooth, which I remembered had really good taste. BINGO!

- Good choice, my man. It is by a progressive spanish seedbank, which gets only good reviews lately.

FINITO. case closed. :D

Sweety Auto by Blimburn Seeds
https://blimburnseeds.com/sweety-automatic

Description:

Although it is small, about 50cm, the production of buds is almost immediate and its yield is very high in relation to its size, producing up to 200g per plant in optimal conditions!

Strain info:
Code:
Outdoor production     No
Indoor production     75 – 120 grams
Indoor flowering     70 – 80 days
Outdoor flowering     No
Autoflowering     Yes
Genetics     Rudelaris / Indica
Genotype     Lowryder x Sweet Tooth
Effects     Physical and relaxing
Feminized     Yes
Height     1 – 1,20 meters
CBD     No
Flavor     No
THC     Mid / High

Notice - So is it 50cm tall or 1 - 1,2 m?

White Widow Automatic by Royal Queen Seeds
https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/autoflowering-cannabis-seeds/178-white-widow-automatic.html

Description:
White Widow is more than just one of the most famous cannabis strains in the world; it provides the genetic foundation for many other classic strains beloved by growers of every experience level.
Now, it is possible for beginner growers and impatient farmers to bring White Widow buds to harvest at lightning speed. Welcome, White Widow Automatic.

Like the original photoperiod White Widow, this strain grows wide, dark green leaves and is dusted with a heavy coating of resin by the end
of the flowering phase. White Widow Automatic replicates many characteristics of the original WW, but takes only 75–85 days total crop time!
The main differences with our variant are its compact size, fast growth, and slightly more stoney, physical effects.

The buds, despite their hybrid genetics, display an indica appearance and effect. White Widow Automatic has a woody, pungent, earthy aroma and taste,
similar to but not as strong as White Widow. This strain was bred for a few years to ensure stability in the genetics. Indoors, it will grow to an average height
of around 50cm, with some larger plants reaching 100cm. Its yield is quite good for an autoflowering strain, producing around 190–240g/plant, depending on conditions.
Indoor growers will be just as lucky, achieving yields up to 450g/m2.

Datasheet:
Code:
    THC: 14%
    CBD: Medium
    Yield Indoor : 400 - 450 gr/m2
    Yield Outdoor: 190 - 240 gr/plant
    Height Indoor: 40 - 80 cm
    Height Outdoor: 50 - 110 cm
    Flowering time: 7 - 8 weeks
    Harvest Month: 10-12 weeks after sprouting
    Genetic Background: White Widow x Ruderalis
    Type: Sativa 40% Indica 40% Ruderalis 20%
    Effect: Physically stoned
    Flavor: Earthy, Pungent, Pine
    Climate: Mild

Auto Brooklyn Sunrise by Dutch Passion
https://www.dutch-passion.com/en/ca...autobrooklyn-sunrise-lowrider-cannabis-seeds/

Product infomation

Auto Brooklyn Sunrise® combines a distinctively spicy taste with large yields of frosty top strength cannabis. The genetics come from the acclaimed USA East Coast
‘Brooklyn’ Diesel clone noted for a famously rich diesel aroma and strong high. This was combined with some connoisseur AK genetics from upper New York State
and made into a feminized autoflowering variety.

The result brings together the best East Coast genetics into a heavy yielding and great tasting new auto with a strong yet smooth high. Auto Brooklyn Sunrise®
gives an unusually strong initial euphoric high, it’s a perfect morning/breakfast choice which is where the variety got its name. This Big-Apple auto is at home
in any urban grow-room and comes with our highest recommendations.

hello guys and gals!

so to sum it up:
I have got 4 plants, 3 strains. All of them are hybrids. Sweety should be indica dominant, White widow is like fifty-fifty and Brooklyn Sunrise should have more of a sativa heritage.
(but this information varies from source to source).

I was unable to find any grow journals of Sweety Auto, actually any photos of it, except the breeders website. It seems like I am the only one growing it and sharing on the interwebz. :)

Few weeks ago, the ladies looked very similar, now when in flowering, they started to differentiate.

So I want to ask you for help with identification, especially if you have any experience with given strains. Two most similar should be Brooklyns, I hope they are same phenos.
I have got my personal guess, but I don't want to influence you.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to any advice, tips and tricks, questions or feedback. I really don't know what to expect in upcoming weeks, how long more should they mature or what to do for better crop. Thank you.

Next 4 posts will be dedicated to each of the plants.

Have a nice day.
HJ

[HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]
IMG_20190722_180612.jpg

IMG_20190722_180653.jpg
IMG_20190722_180718.jpg

IMG_20190722_180800.jpg

• smallest one
  • most even tops
  • least mature
  • most different than the others
  • most sensitive, had to move her around to find a sweet spot, where she prospers

Last edited:
Back