Loam

Reaction score
What does anybody know about loam I live in the midwest in Missouri and right now we got a lot of raining and I collected quite a bit of loam and mix it in with a few my plants but when I read about it it seems to be a mat like magical or something anybody have any input

Loam is just a type of soil, nothing more, nothing less.

loam
/lōm/
noun
  1. a fertile soil of clay and sand containing humus.
    • GEOLOGY
      a soil with roughly equal proportions of sand, silt, and clay.

If you are mixing loam in with your potting soil, you may be making it less useful for growing. Loam is a good soil for outdoor in ground grows when it is amended.

I thought it would be a good neutral thing to use to cut my ocean Farm soil with and if I mix a little up like a milkshake in Port pour it across the top the little gnats don't like it at all

How can it be less useful for growing the first three words are a fertile soil well I guess I'll see I have already tried it on to plants

Because a fertile soil and a potting soil are two different things.

Loam is just a base soil type you'd find in a field.

Potting soil is an artificial environment that you are creating to maximize your plants potential in a small space. There's not really anything "natural" about it. Adding loam to OF could reduce it's ability to breathe and could make your soil more soppy.

There's lots of good information in the organics section about making your potting soil into super soil, it works like a charm!

Better would be adding some compost or worm castings and balancing it with some perlite.

Here is a primer on the topic by a long passed friend:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/tlo-for-dummies-from-a-dummy.17822/

And some recipes people use:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/tlo-super-soil-recipes.10566/

Because a fertile soil and a potting soil are two different things.

Loam is just a base soil type you'd find in a field.

Potting soil is an artificial environment that you are creating to maximize your plants potential in a small space. There's not really anything "natural" about it. Adding loam to OF could reduce it's ability to breathe and could make your soil more soppy.

There's lots of good information in the organics section about making your potting soil into super soil, it works like a charm!

Better would be adding some compost or worm castings and balancing it with some perlite.

Here is a primer on the topic by a long passed friend:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/tlo-for-dummies-from-a-dummy.17822/

And some recipes people use:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/tlo-super-soil-recipes.10566/
I understand didn't think of it that way and thank you for your reply I was going to find out one way or the other I'd started to autoflowers they were 8 days old already had 3 sets leaves and y'all need a r i p section went down to check on this morning and somebody decides to let her cat in the grow room may they rest in peace I'm a start over I'll take your advice this is my second try at autoflowers the first try to out of four or Still In Bloom at 13 weeks and two haven't done anything but grow they've all been on 12/12 for 3 weeks

There's no point to putting autos on 12/12, it will only reduce your yield.

Putting autos on 12/12 will not make them flower faster, their flowering trigger is age, not photoperiod.

There's no point to putting autos on 12/12, it will only reduce your yield.

Putting autos on 12/12 will not make them flower faster, their flowering trigger is age, not photoperiod.
Okay I've seen where they have suggested people do that to get them to start flowering on on the Network here I was I was desperate and I was trying to do anything been trying to grow smokable weed since February 3rd I'm sitting at the post office picking up my new lights so I can keep them in 18 hour cycle the new girls was going under it to

Okay I've seen where they have suggested people do that to get them to start flowering on on the Network

I'm a fine example of that! :D ... You can check my current thread.
When an auto doesn't auto ... there's little to do other than 12/12 to make flower.

If it's your only plant .. keep it .. if you have other around that are autoflowering - get rid rather than 12/12/ the lot (inless you can afford / have a 12/12 tent aswell)

There's been an unfortunate spate of non autos recently ... There's a feeling (among the far more scientifically qualified than myself) that 24 hours of light (while technically possible) is causing some autos to not auto .... leaning towards the age old notion that "plants really do need rest" ... as a consequence to this i'll only be doing 20/4 lighting (as i used to) from now on.

hope this helps

Blue :d5:

Ahh, there's that.

Suddenly the cannabis industry thinks autos are good and not crap (sheesh, we've been telling them) and now in the rush to get new strains and seed to market, quality breeding has gone to the way side.

A true daylight neutral auto should auto all on it's own, anything else that requires photoperiod manipulation is a photo...albeit a sensitive one.

If that is the case, then you and blue are spot on with adjusting light period to cause flowering.

What seeds are you currently running?

Back