Status
Not open for further replies.
3 New Spiky, Colorful ‘Dwarf Dragon’ Lizard Species Discovered in South America’s Andes

Read more: http://en.yibada.com/articles/24849...rd-species-discovered-south.htm#ixzz46g2YJmtm

• dwarf-dragon-lizard.jpg
    upload_2016-4-23_19-50-24.jpeg
    tiny-dragon-lizard-indonesia-photo2-300x200.jpg
    dragonII.jpg.800x0_q85_crop.jpg

"dwarf dragon" lizard (Photo : Facebook)

Scientists have recently found 3 new species of woodlizards, or "dwarf dragons" in South America's Andes. It is a mystery that the spiky lizards in Peru and Ecuador were not discovered until now, considering they are some of the biggest and most colorful lizards living in the region.

Scientists accidentally discovered the new lizard species during expeditions in the Tropical Andes. The region is extremely rich in biodiversity.

After examining the DNA of several specimens, researchers concluded that the species of woodlizards were indeed new. Cross-referencing their samples with samples of several other countries' natural history museums verified this fact.

As of 2006, only six woodlizard species had been located on Earth. When including the newest discovery, that number has jumped to 15.

Omar Torres-Carvajal of Museo de Zoología explained in a press release that the number of known woodlizard species during the past couple of years had doubled. This showed that the diversity of the reptiles had been "underestimated."

Woodlizards (Enyalioides) are diurnal, or active during the daytime. They usually live in lowland tropical rainforests, and cloud forests.

The newest discovery was made in cloud forests. Suchhigh-altitude forests are constantly covered in fog and mist, creating an unearthly environment that is rich in biological diversity.

The woodlizards are also known as "dwarf dragons" due to their exploring eyes, highly pattered skin, and rows of spike-like scales, according to Live Science. Woodlizards usually grow to be within the range of 3 to 6 inches (7 to 15 centimeters) long.

The dwarf dragons are some of the biggest lizards living in the Amazon rainforest, according to Nature World News. However, in spite of their huge size, the lizards' bright colors and patterns serve as camouflage.

The three newly discovered woodlizard species are unique from their relatives in terms of their coloration and how their scales are arranged. Also, their DNA differs.

Read more: http://en.yibada.com/articles/24849...rd-species-discovered-south.htm#ixzz46g2QWAh1

Here's another little mini-dragon...a green one to complement the red guy. This one is species Draco Maximus or "Giant Flying Dragon". Something tells me there was once a much larger, and truly "giant" flying lizard that inspired ancient stories of dragons.

d50fdcad71ce3e1cef1640fa7e9f78c7.jpg

This is a "Purple Horned Winged Lizard"....he looks like a mini dragon, I love it!!

8011df2d66d6c22c3ccddecc2b590e62.jpg

Little Armadillo Lizard ... It looks like a dragon

I'll admit, I'm cornhol...er, cornfuzzled.....and stoned :dizzy: but whadda I need, 2000 likes or rep points....or joints? I bet that'd get me a fat something badge.:haha: Doobies for everyone, just reach in the can that says shipped by the usgovmnt. What...it fell off a truck...trust me.:eyebrows:

I'll be back in a few, gotta go take the brownies out of the oven.

I'll admit, I'm cornhol...er, cornfuzzled.....and stoned :dizzy: but whadda I need, 2000 likes or rep points....or joints? I bet that'd get me a fat something badge.:haha: Doobies for everyone, just reach in the can that says shipped by the usgovmnt. What...it fell off a truck...trust me.:eyebrows:
My bad it is 2000 plus rep points

Sorry to inform you the one on e the gate is not alive but a wonderful piece of art.

Are jackalopes the mice with horns?

All the other dragon/lizard pics are real though.

Just to let you all know I messed up in a couple of posts.

I took my foot and crammed it in my mouth, until I could fit no more in.

I mentioned that 2000 likes would get the New Fat Kitty Rep (jeez the names is the clue "Rep").

My bad and I hold my hand up and feel the cold wind of humiliation.

So over 2000 rep points qualifies you for the new badge!

I'm not sure weather it was the early morning start or if I was just having a senior moment, I hope you can forgive a foolish man.

I have amended the post where I slipped up, my humble apologies.

Arty

Sorry to inform you the one on e the gate is not alive but a wonderful piece of art.

Are jackalopes the mice with horns?

All the other dragon/lizard pics are real though.
They are the jack rabbits with horns,,the jack rabbits get ungodly huge on the plains.....getting back to plants and flowers,I worked on the west coast of Africa for a while and seen some of the most amazing stuff,wish I had a camera back then,one I remember was called porcelain ,but since it is a French speaking country I'm not sure if USA has it or what it would be called,I was on the edge of a rainforest in Cameroon

Teenagers go on hunts to take beer out of coolers at campgrounds. What do you think they will do when they see her plants while running around the neighborhood..............:karmacloud:
Teens can be a real scourge to growers in inhabited locations. Many years ago when confronted by this problem tried scaring the shit out of them, and or buying them off, both with limited success, lol. Past 28 yrs been living in places with No neighbors, this works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back