Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Oct-Dec '22. 2700 pagez & 483k viewz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on getting the diabetes under control, well worth doing. Controlling diabetes is why I am on Keto, I would not do it otherwise. It works very well, my A1C has been well inside the normal range for a couple years now. Were it not for the Keto diet, I would likely be on insulin already if my diabetic younger brothers and late father are any indication.

Keto is not high protein, unlike Atkins. Atkins was headed in the right direction, but Keto is better because it avoids high protein. Keto in essence is very low carbs, normal protein, and high fats and oils. The main challenge I have found is managing electrolytes, I need a lot more salt and magnesium than I would on a normal diet. Bottom line on Keto is that you keep carbs so low that your body is persuaded (forced?) to use fats instead of carbs for almost all needed energy. It would work fine with zero carbs, but doing that is not necessary, and would be difficult.

I still like the look of those meals you put together though! :pighug:
My wife is a huge fan of Atkins, she read the book and followed it and one she hit her ideal weight she upped her carbs up 5 every week till she stopped loosing weight she still follows it basically. I think she takes in 40 carbs per day at this point. It is not as restrictive as it sounds as she is not much on sugar and bread to start with.

I think many people on atkins stay in that low range two long and it can effect people differently. Every spring when I want to shed my winter weight i do keto for a month. Drop about ten pounds and go back to a more macro based diet with about 30% carbs ( I hit the gym about 4-5 times a week) typically natural carbs fruits and vegetables. I guess if you labeled it I am closer to paleo, but I do eat some dairy now and then.

All these plans work they just need to be tweaked for your body. You have to experiment some. We are all alike but different as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back