Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly do pulse MIG but even that we use 4043 wire 95% of the time... Lot has to do with setting and the machine your welding with makes a huge difference :d5::thumbsup:
My welder is not professional grade, it is a Lincoln, maybe 140 amps, I can't recall, and doesn't do anything fancy like pulse. It does a decent job, but I have found that the instructions underestimate the power and wire feed required. It has taken me a while to discover that a lot of the problems I was having when I started were because wire feed was too bloody low to get sufficient stickout. Anyway, I think I am finally getting a feel for it.

When I still owned the sailboat, I built a custom fuel tank to replace the old leaker. Damn fine tank, far stronger than the original. It took me a lot of hours to chase down the last pinhole in those seams. In the end, I pressurized the tank at 10psi, and searched for bubble piles with a 25X loupe. When I was done, she did not leak. I used 3/16" plate and baffled into four spaces, the original was 1/8" and no baffles. The new one is mounted properly too, the old one leaked due to corrosion caused by improper mounting which allowed moisture to sit against the tank base. The new owner is not going to have problems with the new tank.

Anyway sir, I am sure that I could learn a lot by spending a few hours with you. :worship:

My welder is not professional grade, it is a Lincoln, maybe 140 amps, I can't recall, and doesn't do anything fancy like pulse. It does a decent job, but I have found that the instructions underestimate the power and wire feed required. It has taken me a while to discover that a lot of the problems I was having when I started were because wire feed was too bloody low to get sufficient stickout. Anyway, I think I am finally getting a feel for it.

When I still owned the sailboat, I built a custom fuel tank to replace the old leaker. Damn fine tank, far stronger than the original. It took me a lot of hours to chase down the last pinhole in those seams. In the end, I pressurized the tank at 10psi, and searched for bubble piles with a 25X loupe. When I was done, she did not leak. I used 3/16" plate and baffled into four spaces, the original was 1/8" and no baffles. The new one is mounted properly too, the old one leaked due to corrosion caused by improper mounting which allowed moisture to sit against the tank base. The new owner is not going to have problems with the new tank.

Anyway sir, I am sure that I could learn a lot by spending a few hours with you. :worship:

Lincoln makes very nice machine:worship:... and you hit the nail right on the head even when i am running a bad weld normally it is wire feeding poorly issue's always helps not to have any bends in your torch lead... Either way sounds like you got it down quite well sealing up tanks can be a pita:bow::toke:

Your girl is back in business (and in need of a manicure lmfao)
1000005645.jpg
1000005644.jpg

Glad to have dirt under my nails again though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back