Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been tossing my runoff (a small bucket every 3 days or so) into my tiny backyard. Waiting to see if the grass is dead, or turns into a jungle, come spring.

I have a fairly big yard but it is all well fertilized :crying:

Why not just run until runoff at 1st fertigation after each lights on period? Or last fert before lights off? And use the rest of the fertigations as essentially topping off

In rock wool or coco if you fertigate too rapidly the water will form "channels" and pass through the media without wetting the entire contents. This will lead to dry pockets and can even become hydrophobic. A real slow drip several times will avoid this problem and the capillary action of the water will wet the entire cube.

Perhaps and this is only a guess he's taking the sum total of his run off in a day. So fir a certain volume pot if he gets 20% run off but 2x a day that's 40% of the pot volume???
The volume figure is proportional to the fertigation volume, not pot volume. To quote Cocoforcannabis.com,

"...about 20% of the water that you apply should flow through the container and end up as run-off."

How much you have to put in in order to get 20% runoff varies depending on the length of time since the last fertigation, and how thirsty the plant is. Bigger plants, sooner and bigger fertigation. :biggrin:

Do any of you guys 'cook' your media, the ones that use 'soil', for a period? I do that to fresh media especially. It comes from people saying they got it from new stuff.
I 'cook' my used media to just mainly get the roots eaten up by the microbes. I'll usually re-amend at the same time.
I did this before starting this last round, noticed a couple critters in the grow before so 30 min. at 400f for the whole lot......At 4 pans per load took about 1/2 day but it was sterile.
Edit: so far this run haven't caught any in the stickies.

I might be wrong but aren't you guys talking about two different types of soil cooking?... I do neither:haha::gassy:

Little bit of a different take on light schedules for autos for those who have dimmers for their lights. Don't think I've seen this before
That is the exact schedule I use from veg thru flower. My led drivers are pwm controlled and follow a sinusoidal pattern(bell curve), 3 hour sunrise and sunset. The only light not on 24 hrs is my UVA(385nm) strip which has a 6 hour sunrise and 6hr sunset during the 12 hour middle of the day and off completely for 12 hours.

I did this before starting this last round, noticed a couple critters in the grow before so 30 min. at 400f for the whole lot......At 4 pans per load took about 1/2 day but it was sterile.
Edit: so far this run haven't caught any in the stickies.
400F will sterilize the soil killing all beneficial microbes and everything else. 160F will pasturize the soil, kill the bugs and any seeds and keep the microbes alive. This is the goal temperature in a compost pile.

Yes composting is often referred to as cooking the soil.

rock wool or coco if you fertigate too rapidly the water will form "channels" and pass through the media without wetting the entire contents. This will lead to dry pockets and can even become hydrophobic. A real slow drip several times will avoid this problem and the capillary action of the water will wet the entire cube.
I'm just basing that on the floraflex feeding schedule as maybe an idea :shrug: Just a theory. They basically say multiple short fertigations spaced out after lights on until runoff and then just short bursts. Something like your lights come on at noon and get 3 short ferts 20 mins apart until desired runoff and then other shots on schedule the rest of the time

I could not even start to imagine how rancid they taste - rancind eggs seem to be a thing, when in Cambodia one time my colleague (who was from Vietnam) kept trying to get me to eat this egg, so in the end I cracked open the shell and there was foetus in there, the smell was atrocious - needless to say he could not stop laughing. When he stopped he grabbed it dipped it in a salt a pepper mix and it was gone quicker than it was peeled :nono:
That shit is called balut and is nasty! Basically a baby duck to the point of beak and feathers in their and that shit ain’t for me! :yoinks::nono:

FYI i am 30 pages behind so just saw this was answered! :rofl:

The volume figure is proportional to the fertigation volume, not pot volume. To quote Cocoforcannabis.com,

"...about 20% of the water that you apply should flow through the container and end up as run-off."

How much you have to put in in order to get 20% runoff varies depending on the length of time since the last fertigation, and how thirsty the plant is. Bigger plants, sooner and bigger fertigation. :biggrin:
I don't have a pot, The cube of rock wool will hold 1 gallon of water before it will begin runoff. After a good dry-back period it will actually take about 60 to 70 ounces in put for run-off to begin but if I used the real numbers I did not think I could get the concept across to you. It is 40% for a 24 hour period with what I am planning to do.

I don't have a pot, The cube of rock wool will hold 1 gallon of water before it will begin runoff. After a good dry-back period it will actually take about 60 to 70 ounces in put for run-off to begin but if I used the real numbers I did not think I could get the concept across to you. It is 40% for a 24 hour period with what I am planning to do.
Ya @Olderfart
1673831440119.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back