Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn! I vaped the last of the double grape last night, so I need to press some more, all I have are 160 micron bags, will they be ok to use or will they allow too much green matter/debris thru?
Just depends on the moisture content. A dryer bud will benefit with a larger size bag.

Damn! I vaped the last of the double grape last night, so I need to press some more, all I have are 160 micron bags, will they be ok to use or will they allow too much green matter/debris thru?
I have used 160 bags and they work fine. Maybe a little more leaf material gets through but not enough to substantially affect quality IME. Probably varies with cultivar. Go for it! IMHO, YMMV, etc.

For those of you using Buchners there a few old school tricks that may help
1. Paper filters come in different grades of porosity
2 some of them if you feel carefully have a tiny fine curled lip at the outer edge. The lip goes down to aid creating a seal.
3 Obviously the frit/filter should fit right to the edge of the Buchner covering all the hole.
4 Wet the filter under vacuum once in place with whatever your solvent is to create a good solid seal or else your product is stuck inside the Buchner and the receiving side arm erlenmeyer (no bueno but don't freak NBD).
5 A cheapo route is to try a water aspirator as opposed to a pump the pumps better, steadier vacuum but water aspirsyors were used old school for years!
6 I prefer putting the suspended solution in a beaker. Cause it's got a pour lip, no spilling and you can rest the edge of the beaker on the buchner as a pouring/positioning aid.
7 Use a glass rod to stir/swirl as you pour to keep it in suspension so ya don't end up with a ton of sludge at the bottom.
8 Slow and steady wins the race says the turtle.
9 you want the solid (filtrand) to be a cake I prefer to keep the filtrand in a pile in the middle of the edges. Let it act like it's of sort of filter for itself like an inverted cone it's easier to collect after.
10.the filter paper needs to be chosen (porosity) such that the filtrand is NOT trapped in the filter paper or pass thru it (like @Bill.de.Cat mentions.!!!). Sure your gonna get some in the paper it's gonna happen don't freak lol
10 if needed rinse the breaker with ice cold solvent (water) to get it all out. A squeeze bottle works mint. Cause you can keep the breaker resting on the Buchner and use the squirt bottle to direct the solvent where needed.
11 Do Not rotate the breaker once you start the pour unless something shits the bed keep the material flowing out the one side other wise you got shit all around the breaker you need to recover.
12. Once done with beaker you.may want a small very gentle rinse of the filter cake.
13 let that vacuum run for a bit.
14.very very gently remove the filter paper from he Buchner. Do this over a large piece of paper (secondary containment) so if you get an oh shit moment it end up one the 2nd larger paper so it's easy to collect.
15 real old school shit.. put the filer paper gently a top pouros tile it will pull the solvent way and help drying USE a watch glass we don't want it blowing away if someone walks by and creates a breeze DOH (I've seen it it sucks).
16 when done put it back on the 2ndry containment paper . Use a mini sputula to get my scrape it onto a piece of weighing paper prefolded with a V corner to furthest opposite corner (ya like a coke packet tsh tsh tsh what would your mother think????)
17 the v helps you pout it into it's final container, weigh it b4 if it blows yet hair back (per tare the paper lol)
18 Remember you've got a vacuum as you remove the filtrate (liq) it's going get cool to cold the lower the BP the more obvious the effect ( it is after all just evaporative cooling) it's normal don't seat it lol.

USE a ring stand and 3 finger clamp big enuf to hold the hole mess real steady as you work it would really suck knocking it over. I've done it on a big ass scale up 7 days of work all over the freaking hood. You only make that mistake 1x.

But hey in the end relax don't worry have a home brew. This ain't rocket science a lot of us make coffee every day it's really the same in essence...
sorry if you all know this and I'm beating a dead horse. Blast me if you got questions buchners are old school and do what they do amazingly well when used right.

Don't nobody talk about My MOTHER hahahaha
Screenshot_20230113_091329_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you using Buchners there a few old school tricks that may help
1. Paper filters come in different grades of porosity
2 some of them if you feel carefully have a tiny fine curled lip at the outer edge. The lip goes down to aid creating a seal.
3 Obviously the frit/filter should fit right to the edge of the Buchner covering all the hole.
4 Wet the filter under vacuum once in place with whatever your solvent is to create a good solid seal or else your product is stuck inside the Buchner and the receiving side arm erlenmeyer (no bueno but don't freak NBD).
5 A cheapo route is to try a water aspirator as opposed to a pump the pumps better, steadier vacuum but water aspirsyors were used old school for years!
6 I prefer putting the suspended solution in a beaker. Cause it's got a pour lip, no spilling and you can rest the edge of the beaker on the buchner as a pouring/positioning aid.
7 Use a glass rod to stir/swirl as you pour to keep it in suspension so ya don't end up with a ton of sludge at the bottom.
8 Slow and steady wins the race says the turtle.
9 you want the solid (filtrand) to be a cake I prefer to keep the filtrand in a pile in the middle of the edges. Let it act like it's of sort of filter for itself like an inverted cone it's easier to collect after.
10.the filter needs to be chosen such that the filtrand it's trapped in the filter paper or pass thru it. Sure your gonna get some in the paper it's gonna happen don't freak lol
10 if needed rinse the breaker with ice cold solvent (water) to get it all out. A squeeze bottle works mint. Cause you can keep the breaker resting on the Buchner and use the squirt bottle to direct the solvent where needed.
11 Do Not rotate the breaker once you start the pour unless something shits the bed keep the material flowing out the one side other wise you got shit all around the breaker you need to recover.
12. Once done with beaker you.may want a small very gentle rinse of the filter cake.
13 let that vacuum run for a bit.
14.very very gently remove the filter paper from he Buchner. Do this over a large piece of paper (secondary containment) so if you get an oh shit moment it end up one the 2nd larger paper so it's easy to collect.
15 real old school shit.. put the filer paper gently a top pouros tile it will pull the solvent way and help drying USE a watch glass we don't want it blowing away if someone walks by and creates a breeze DOH (I've seen it it sucks).
16 when done put it back on the 2ndry containment paper . Use a mini sputula to get my scrape it onto a piece of weighing paper prefolded with a V corner to furthest opposite corner (ya like a coke packet tsh tsh tsh what would your mother think????)
17 the v helps you pout it into it's final container, weigh it b4 if it blows yet hair back (per tare the paper lol)
18 Remember you've got a vacuum as you remove the filtrate (liq) it's going get cool to cold the lower the BP the more obvious the effect ( it is after all just evaporative cooling) it's normal don't seat it lol.

But hey in the end relax don't worry have a home brew. This ain't rocket science a lot of us make coffee every day it's really the same in essence...
sorry if you all know this and I'm beating a dead horse. Blast me if you got questions buchners are old school and do what they do amazingly well when used right.

Don't nobody talk about My MOTHER hahahaha View attachment 1555372
The more recent articles and a couple YT vids were using low vacuum pumps for a longer time. Such as this one for 12 to 24 hrs.
Amazon product

I'm doing my best to use household items such as plastic funnel, small sour cream container, coffee filters etc.......just need to suck the water out of it.

The more recent articles and a couple YT vids were using low vacuum pumps for a longer time. Such as this one for 12 to 24 hrs.
Amazon product

MINT!!
And I do exactly the same anywhere possible could agree more Love the aquarium pump pissa idea!!
I imagine our stuffs air stable and won't degrade so that's perfect!!!

I've considered this for infusions but canna oil has such an tough MP/FP I have visions of it kicking off to a solid mid filtration. I have visions of me with a heat gun going FUCK FUCK FUCK.

:cuss:

I do know the trick about preheating everything and pouring hot lol

Last edited:
MINT!!
I imagine our stuffs air stable and won't degrade so that's perfect!!!
Just ordered one.....My original idea was to use my shop vac for vacuum for a few minutes but some say high vacuum drives the product into the filter paper and you lose too much. Which makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back