Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get how y'all pay so much for lasagna? I get @Mañ'O'Green for the dietary restrictions, but, lasagna is immigrant food. Should feed a family for cheap :nono: Homemade ricotta is $10 for 3lbs, fresh mozz is $5 for 3lbs from my cheese guy, and sausage is $5/lb from the butcher:shrug: Use the eggplant for rollatini :d5:

considering the two large servings of baked pasta this is not too bad?

IMG_20230325_213059152_HDR.jpg

I don't get how y'all pay so much for lasagna? I get @Mañ'O'Green for the dietary restrictions, but, lasagna is immigrant food. Should feed a family for cheap :nono: Homemade ricotta is $10 for 3lbs, fresh mozz is $5 for 3lbs from my cheese guy, and sausage is $5/lb from the butcher:shrug: Use the eggplant for rollatini :d5:
I can make cheap lasagna but why? Just leave out the sautéed Portabella mushroom layer, The fine Italian sausage layer (I make my own with good spices and Sambuca). Leave the Good red wine out of the $2 Ragu (on sale) bottled sauce. Leave out the garlic and butter wilted parsley and use cheap mozzarella and ricotta cheese forget the fine Parmigiano Reggiano or Asiago and you have lasagna on the cheap.

It is hard to get unpasteurized milk to make good ricotta here so $8 for 32 oz. and the cheapest Mozzarella is about $8 a pound here 2# $16. You can get fair Italian sausage for $5 a pound to cook in two jars of sauce $4, Noodles $6 Grated Parmesan Cheese for the top $5 so maybe $44 for a 1/2 sheet pan of 3 layer lasagna for 12 servings of survival food. I would not waste my time.

So for me 1/2 sheet pan costs at least $100 to make Lasagna.

Use hearts of palm sheets then

I'd prob go for a high quality old school wheat italian pasta that is low glycemic and not US based. $10/lb but really nice stuff.. doesnt make me feel crappy after eating it.. or mess up digestion or zombie sleep me.. lol

I can make cheap lasagna but why? Just leave out the sautéed Portabella mushroom layer, The fine Italian sausage layer (I make my own with good spices and Sambuca). Leave the Good red wine out of the $2 Ragu (on sale) bottled sauce. Leave out the garlic and butter wilted parsley and use cheap mozzarella and ricotta cheese forget the fine Parmigiano Reggiano or Asiago and you have lasagna on the cheap.

It is hard to get unpasteurized milk to make good ricotta here so $8 for 32 oz. and the cheapest Mozzarella is about $8 a pound here 2# $16. You can get fair Italian sausage for $5 a pound to cook in two jars of sauce $4, Noodles $6 Grated Parmesan Cheese for the top $5 so maybe $44 for a 1/2 sheet pan of 3 layer lasagna for 12 servings of survival food. I would not waste my time.

So for me 1/2 sheet pan costs at least $100 to make Lasagna.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.. if you're making lasagna, make it DELICIOUS! I'm with you,
I'll switch out sausage for bison, use an asiago, parmesan, and romano cheese blend, lots of good rictooa and of course various spices.. prob use fire rosted tomato flavor from Newmans since I havent made my own sauce in forever... getting back to that this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back