Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
No grass here yet. Might see some after Thursday rain… still got a lot of ice to melt. Our cycle was snow, rain, freeze, rain/snow, freeze. Digging for setting corner pins today… northern Lewis county it was solid ice ground, mealy ice, snow, ice, mealy ice, snow. Like I was an archeologist.
I miss some things about surveying and definitely do not miss some things. But I'll take pins over monuments or hubs and tacks any day :crying:

Find any mammoth tusks? Or a sabre tooth tigers? :crying:
No sir. But I have found many a thing that is cool! Medicine bottle with half label (readable) from a local doc. Blue glass ink well from like 1910. Round bottom soda bottle (cork top) from early 20s, round bottom was to keep bottle on its side and to keep the cork wet. Various other things. Partner found a working hand crank fuel pump in the woods one job. Took it home

No sir. But I have found many a thing that is cool! Medicine bottle with half label (readable) from a local doc. Blue glass ink well from like 1910. Round bottom soda bottle (cork top) from early 20s, round bottom was to keep bottle on its side and to keep the cork wet. Various other things. Partner found a working hand crank fuel pump in the woods one job. Took it home
Oh, the local med btl was from 30’s thought about donating to historical society.

I miss some things about surveying and definitely do not miss some things. But I'll take pins over monuments or hubs and tacks any day :crying:
Fuck hubs and tacks! Had to go back and readjust a whole industrial park two yrs ago cuz we got rain and then a hard freeze! 90% had been heaved one way or another. 4 hrs to recheck and adjust with GPS and base. One of the first I did, the deed called a corner in a stone wall 3/4 of a mile long 4’ wide and 3-6 ft tall. Pretty damn level too. The corner was called for a triangle stone, milled and not of the region. It was and checked .10 after 140 yrs!

Lol! Sounds like a good time. Got a small, shallow river near me in northern NY that has pockets of black sand at every corner for miles. Fed from deep adirondacks. Pretty sure there’s gold in that river. Just need to get me a mini sluice and check it out… although gold mining is illegal in NYS I’m told.
The middle of most every year around waterway in California is open to prospecting but getting there is the problem.

Fuck hubs and tacks! Had to go back and readjust a whole industrial park two yrs ago cuz we got rain and then a hard freeze! 90% had been heaved one way or another. 4 hrs to recheck and adjust with GPS and base. One of the first I did, the deed called a corner in a stone wall 3/4 of a mile long 4’ wide and 3-6 ft tall. Pretty damn level too. The corner was called for a triangle stone, milled and not of the region. It was and checked .10 after 140 yrs!
Amazing how well the old timers did things with just chains, a level and some math

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back