Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Apr-Jun '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
friday dose of vitamin E...:headbang: :friday: ppp

tenor.gif

Will this be your first grow with coco coir? I hope you have a good pH meter and a good EC/PPM meter. Coco requires maintenance. Once you are a few weeks in it is an everyday thing and into flowering a twice or thrice a day watering.

I have tried a couple different bags and did not notice much difference at all. If there is a place locally that carries bagged coco/perlite I would buy whatever they have. Shipping is ridiculous these days. I still consider myself very new and inexperienced with coco but have had some success.

So far I have used :

Cyco Coco Pearl

Mother Earth Coco

These are the only two I've tried so I can't speak to other brands. I would not sweat it as long as it's decently reputable company. Do look for pre-buffered. Not hard to do yourself, just depends how much work you want to do.

I always load my pots and "rinse" the new coco before using it. This removes a lot of coco dust and you can test the runoff to see how much buffering was used. The Cyco Pearl had very strong/high ppm in the initial runoff. The Mother Earth was far less. I mix up a light nutrient mix, seedling strength at 300-400ppm. I run that through the coco until the runoff reads in that range.

I should have a new run starting soon. I can definitely tag you in the thread and document everything from start to finish if you would like? I don't know that everything I do is correct but the results have been very nice.

Latest coco runs:

First page has a pic with my "rinse" routine. I try to list input pH/ppm and volume and then output volumes ph/ppm.

Great info @DCLXVI. I recently purchased an Apera PH60 meter which I love. I also have a Home Forest TDS meter and am familiar with PPM & ec.

Although my question was about premixed coco/perlite and I appreciate your information, @Lil Dab and @JP1 have convinced (shamed 😂 ) me into making my own. So I was going to post a new question about coco bales. I was thinking of getting a 5kg of Mother Earth bale from the “WESAYSOCORPORATIO” also know as amazon for $23.45 + tax. Based upon Dr MJ Coco’s video on prepping coco that should do 5 - 5 gallon grow bags I already have perlite.

found a nice drain away tray 12” on home depo for $12.83 seems like it would be hard to make one for less.

Hey @Suki flavor wise how do those ghost drinks compare to red bull/ monster etc? Red bull i love but monster and rockstar are disgusting to me so trying to get a comparison before i go buy 1 since u know i am a cheap ass mofo! They had the swedish fish/ warheads/ sour patch kids/ and a cherry limeade one i noticed on end cap just now at gas station but if they are more like a monster but with diff flavor then no thanks!

Great info @DCLXVI. I recently purchased an Apera PH60 meter which I love. I also have a Home Forest TDS meter and am familiar with PPM & ec.

Although my question was about premixed coco/perlite and I appreciate your information, @Lil Dab and @JP1 have convinced (shamed 😂 ) me into making my own. So I was going to post a new question about coco bales. I was thinking of getting a 5kg of Mother Earth bale from the “WESAYSOCORPORATIO” also know as amazon for $23.45 + tax. Based upon Dr MJ Coco’s video on prepping coco that should do 5 - 5 gallon grow bags I already have perlite.

found a nice drain away tray 12” on home depo for $12.83 seems like it would be hard to make one for less.
I have come very fond of botanicare cocogro and just got a bale last night 19.99$ on Shamzon
2A671A1C-46B6-45AD-97AC-4AE3E7967962.jpeg

I've used the MotherEarth 5k coco bale and a couple other brand x and they all seem about the same. I've been getting whatever is cheapest from Home Depot or eBay. One bale, after adding perlite, fills almost 10 3-gallon bags. So I guess that's under $3 per pot. Maybe that's why they call coco "poor man's hydroponics."

Instead of trays, I used vinyl fabric under my metal shelves, attached with bent paperclips and bits of electric wire or tie wire.
This one has a bulkhead fitting, but the others just drain straight off one end into a bucket.
shelf_nappy2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back