Lighting LED for my space?

Reaction score
Hi all, going back to the LED route after being less than impressed with CFLs (my area is too warm to utilize enough to be efficient). Last time I ran LEDs, I ran a 180w UFO and 250w DormGrow LED, in my 60x60x140 tent. Temps were reaching 29-34c which is way too warm.

My new space is going to be 90cm long x 45cm wide. GOing to be growing a total of 7 plants - 3 in 8L pots and 4 in 4L pots (smartpots). Will a 450w LED (ViparSpectra Reflector Series) run too hot for my space? If not, that would be a perfect amount of power to get me what I would need (I aim for 2-3 ounces total per grow, just for personal smoke) Or should I go for the 300w ViparSpectra?

Heat is my main concern, keeping the grow area 24-28c is ideal, my ambient temps in my bedroom are 22-27c anyway so its quite a big factor. Obviously if the difference would be negligible I would go for the 450w.

cheers

Hey...I ran a space last winter that was 54"long(120cm),X18" deep(40cm) X 34"(95cm) high from the top of the pots to the lights surface. With proper ventilation I was able to keep heat in check running three 100X3w leds.(actual draw per unit was 140-180w). I was running galaxyhydro and marshydro leds.

Most of these lights your talking about are better heaters than actual grow lights. Par is something to research. The amount of usable light is par and the remaining energy is heat. Epistar leds which are common in the less expensive panels are used to save money and inefficient converting energy. If your interested in real heat savings you need to look into Cree LEDs or Cree and citizen cobs. Cobs are up to 62% efficient where the only info I have on an epistar panel was from kind and it came in at 22.5% efficient which means for every 100 watts 77.5 watts of heat is produced. Hope this helps

Back