hey M :pass: :woohoo1: Great to see the sun there, though pretty hot, so true it would be nice to see an afternoon shower or something, but hopefully things will get cooler. Twin towers is looking very healthy and happy, they love the sun, and ive witnessed how they turn to the sun, which is pretty cool. Always a sad time to cull the plant for harvest as you cant help to get attached to them. New girl she is really loving it outdoors, and thicker leaves more indica like maybe, plus you cropped her to give 6 cola?

hey M :pass: :woohoo1: Great to see the sun there, though pretty hot, so true it would be nice to see an afternoon shower or something, but hopefully things will get cooler. Twin towers is looking very healthy and happy, they love the sun, and ive witnessed how they turn to the sun, which is pretty cool. Always a sad time to cull the plant for harvest as you cant help to get attached to them. New girl she is really loving it outdoors, and thicker leaves more indica like maybe, plus you cropped her to give 6 cola?

Worrying about the water, I did a night mission to really soak the pots.
They seemed heavier and more damp than I expected, so I think the grass cover is like mulch, and the "water crystals" are helping.
Still, I gave them each about another 1L, really soaking it through.
No rain expected for at least a week, so they'll need it.

While I was there, two thoughts:

Big girl (Round 3):
She may actually be getting some distant street light contamination.
Is this affecting her flowering...?
More complex by the day...
Wondering if it would be possible to move her somewhere darker...
Maybe, but that's some hard and dangerous work...

Recent arrival (Round 4):
Her fans are huge and chunky!
I think she's the Jack Herer, and that does have a good amount of Indica via the Northern Lights, so could explain those big fans.
I took the opportunity to open her up. Did some super cropping on the top two mains.
The first went well, but too rushed for the second, and fnck!, broke that whole main branch.
Maybe recoverable if it was inside and I had tape, but I don't think so... So annoyed at myself!
Then worked the lower branches out, too.
There are still six good tops on her, and breaking that main top just lets the lowers grow through stronger.
Not good, but she's still a great looking plant.
I do think she's female, given her structure. Fingers crossed!

Worrying about the water, I did a night mission to really soak the pots.
They seemed heavier and more damp than I expected, so I think the grass cover is like mulch, and the "water crystals" are helping.
Still, I gave them each about another 1L, really soaking it through.
No rain expected for at least a week, so they'll need it.

While I was there, two thoughts:

Big girl (Round 3):
She may actually be getting some distant street light contamination.
Is this affecting her flowering...?
More complex by the day...
Wondering if it would be possible to move her somewhere darker...
Maybe, but that's some hard and dangerous work...

Recent arrival (Round 4):
Her fans are huge and chunky!
I think she's the Jack Herer, and that does have a good amount of Indica via the Northern Lights, so could explain those big fans.
I took the opportunity to open her up. Did some super cropping on the top two mains.
The first went well, but too rushed for the second, and fnck!, broke that whole main branch.
Maybe recoverable if it was inside and I had tape, but I don't think so... So annoyed at myself!
Then worked the lower branches out, too.
There are still six good tops on her, and breaking that main top just lets the lowers grow through stronger.
Not good, but she's still a great looking plant.
I do think she's female, given her structure. Fingers crossed!
Be careful at night M, in those grasses, not sure where you live, but snakes are a live in summer in the grasses in the hills. Good idea they would need the extra water especially with those temperatures you've been having its pretty hot

Are they that sensitivie to light, i have not checked the tarp to see how dark it is under there. I always tried to keep the Nimbins just back from the house lights or use sheets and mesh , haha very messy looking but works. Possible the grasses may shield the Big Girl from the street lights. Sounds like a lot of work and you mean dangerous in terms of location.

Jack Herer seems a famous strain, havent tried it but someday for sure. I know how you'd feel i would be upset with myself also over that, but least you had tape, i fixed a plant once i dropped her from the table, my stupid mistake, anyway i fixed her with tape and stakes. That is great news she is very likely a female, She will be the best plant, maybe over Big Girl

Be careful at night M, in those grasses, not sure where you live, but snakes are a live in summer in the grasses in the hills. Good idea they would need the extra water especially with those temperatures you've been having its pretty hot

You are right. I have almost stepped on snakes in the grass not far from here.
I've seen a cobra about ... 1 km away on the banks of the same river, too.
I think they usually hear people and move away quickly.

Otherwise, going at night was a very good option.
It's dark, and people out by the path are under lights, which means they can't see me.

Are they that sensitivie to light, i have not checked the tarp to see how dark it is under there. I always tried to keep the Nimbins just back from the house lights or use sheets and mesh , haha very messy looking but works. Possible the grasses may shield the Big Girl from the street lights. Sounds like a lot of work and you mean dangerous in terms of location.

I don't know how sensitive they are.
I think not. Otherwise, they wouldn't have started flowering in the first place.
Only time will tell... I don't want months of veg, though!!
The grass is not enough to shield them, just the distance.

Inner city guerilla growing.
Good for your adrenaline!!!!

Jack Herer seems a famous strain, havent tried it but someday for sure. I know how you'd feel i would be upset with myself also over that, but least you had tape, i fixed a plant once i dropped her from the table, my stupid mistake, anyway i fixed her with tape and stakes. That is great news she is very likely a female, She will be the best plant, maybe over Big Girl

Jack Herer is a real classic, for sure.
Sweet Seeds' Jack 47 is very nice smoke, and easy to grow.
Ideally I'd like a range of Jack cultivars to grow and seed with.
Sannies' Seeds has a Jack Herer he's been breeding into an IBL.
And then he's got a number of crosses from those.
Photos of those plants are simply amazing, heavy, hard hitting giant sativa beasties!
I had some Killing Fields seeds a while back, but just didn't have everything together to make the grow work.

I didn't have tape, so no fix.
No big deal, she's still doing well.
Could definitely be the plant of the season.
She's got the best weather so far, and no massive rains.

But it's early days yet, so I won't count my chickens yet...

:pass: Morning SM, on this drizzly morning, looks like T5s will be going today unless it clears

Thats true the night would be more secure, less snakes i guess also since they need the sun, though there are nocturnal ones here, haha i guess the bask and sleep in the sun and hunt all night. The snakes actually do prefer to retreat if they hear you coming, only when trodden on or the snake feels trapped it would attack or treatened to.

I have to say, i do like the Satvias, thanks for the link, they look beautiful. This Aussie grower has been busted but i would love to have plants like his, they are huge. Sadly maybe the line of MM died out when he got busted, a few knock offs today, more a legend myth now the plant.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=175243

Maybe they are not that sensitive to light, i had a stuff up, only noticed it this morning, light from the kitchen would have leaked in last night:nono:. True it would be a rush, to do inner city guerilla growing, i felt it when i wanted to do a guerilla grow :( my brothers shut down the idea when i invested the house with ticks:nono:, guess they liked the site also as it had a spring, and only 10 metres from the road.

Exactly the poor other girls had to cop all that rain etc. Thats good she is a vigorous plant and would lovee the outdoor and intense energy of the sun ( have some umol where you live)

That's good news! Fast, mold resistant haze/sativas, sounds perfect!
Even here, while the temps are fine for long flowering plants, faster plants are more discrete and less chance of discovery or typhoon damage.

Will AFN have the honors of doing some testing???
(Why do you think I'm journaling all this?? I want first dibs!!!!)
:rofl: me first me first! .... I have been begging for fem's 2 years now!
.... I'm sure AFN will get roped in for testing/sponsored grows at some point,... I'm thinking right now it's quality control testing and such; sure makes me wish I could see how they are doing outside in their test plots!
You're a perfect candidate luv, so I'm wagering you'll be putting them to the tropi'-test by next year :eyebrows:
I think so. Most likely snails. Have giant snails here!!!! Probably out during those heavy rains...
persistent bastards are they,... last two seasons at the friend/clients place they have decided to rasp off the fucking "barky" layer at the base of some plants, damn near girdled the Skunk Special last year! I took that as War and poured out a ring of KCl around the roller cart base perimeters (I use it for Cl micronute supp'ing, salt substitute),... got them to FO real quick-like :finger::muahaha:...
Good point. When she went outside, it was already almost 13.5 hrs, now peaking at a little bit more than 13.5 hrs.
So maybe it's just a long slow start, she puts out those stretching branches, builds a frame first.
...yeah I suspect there's no reveg happening, just typical Thai cross slow bloom starting,... I noted at ACE, some of their more landracey cultivars are given recommendations of 1-2 hours less light from 12/12 for bloom finishing... Not that it applies here but you see why equatorial landraces can be a challenge!

:thumbsup:-- glad the out-planting went smoothly,...She's as set as she can get! :goodluck: :karmacloud:

She looks gorgeous. Ugh wish I could be of assistance, my Orient Express x Nepal Jam pheno started flowering under 18/6 and I'm stumped.
:yoinks: :doh:... what the fek?! I hear some stories of some landraces with odd-ball "auto" in their population (fairly common in this line of PNG at another forum), but a mixed cross like this? Hmmmm, I'd see if Dubi or soembody can share some insight on that!
A lot of people say things like "Photoperiod plants need 12/12 to flower", but that's obviously not the case.
Otherwise, plants would only start to flower around late September.
But they don't.
Some early Indicas are already finishing late September, so they must start well before then.
I figure most plants start to flower around end of July or start of August.
So-called 8-10 week strains (indoors) finish outside around early, mid or late October.
Which is 8-10 weeks after the start of August...
They don't need 12/12 to flower, more like 14/10 or maybe 13.5/10.5 light/dark hours to flower.
End of rant.
Very true right? I wonder if that 12/12 thing is more geared toward indoor growers and making bloody sure there's not reveg' funny bizz!
Here at Lat. 36.6, Solstace is 14:40 daylight... by mid Aug. it's 13:20-ish, 13/11 by beginning of Sept.... bloom starts for me more or less mid Aug.,....everything without exception finishes sooner than described apples-to-apples.....

:pause::pause::pause: ..BBL, dog-walk o'clock!

I have to say, i do like the Satvias, thanks for the link, they look beautiful. This Aussie grower has been busted but i would love to have plants like his, they are huge. Sadly maybe the line of MM died out when he got busted, a few knock offs today, more a legend myth now the plant.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=175243

Maybe they are not that sensitive to light, i had a stuff up, only noticed it this morning, light from the kitchen would have leaked in last night:nono:. True it would be a rush, to do inner city guerilla growing, i felt it when i wanted to do a guerilla grow :( my brothers shut down the idea when i invested the house with ticks:nono:, guess they liked the site also as it had a spring, and only 10 metres from the road.

Exactly the poor other girls had to cop all that rain etc. Thats good she is a vigorous plant and would lovee the outdoor and intense energy of the sun ( have some umol where you live)

Legendary herb monster trees!
Must be nearly a year old, perhaps.
Where I grew up they have plants like that out in the forests.
4m tall or so, kgs per plant.
Long pole like buds stems, with nuggets running the entire length.

:rofl: me first me first! .... I have been begging for fem's 2 years now!
.... I'm sure AFN will get roped in for testing/sponsored grows at some point,... I'm thinking right now it's quality control testing and such; sure makes me wish I could see how they are doing outside in their test plots!
You're a perfect candidate luv, so I'm wagering you'll be putting them to the tropi'-test by next year :eyebrows:

Haha!!!! Okay, we both get first dibs, but you have to provide me 24/7 support.
Hey, speaking of which, all of us growing LBH beans should get on his site and write reviews for him.
And then maybe say if he can use our pics for his site or whatever.
Give LBH a bit of support, and I'm sure he'll look after us!

persistent bastards are they,... last two seasons at the friend/clients place they have decided to rasp off the fucking "barky" layer at the base of some plants, damn near girdled the Skunk Special last year! I took that as War and poured out a ring of KCl around the roller cart base perimeters (I use it for Cl micronute supp'ing, salt substitute),... got them to FO real quick-like :finger::muahaha:...

Those snails are major issue for smaller plants during the rains.
A while back, I have a photo of a huge snail on the top cola of my Sweet Cream Mandarine XL Auto.
It's like a couple of feet up the plant. WTF??!

...yeah I suspect there's no reveg happening, just typical Thai cross slow bloom starting,... I noted at ACE, some of their more landracey cultivars are given recommendations of 1-2 hours less light from 12/12 for bloom finishing... Not that it applies here but you see why equatorial landraces can be a challenge!

:thumbsup:-- glad the out-planting went smoothly,...She's as set as she can get! :goodluck: :karmacloud:

Okay, hope you're right. Reassuring at least...
She's only half Thai in the end, the other half is good old Guerilla Gold... heavy afghani, right?

She's set, alright, and this weather is beautiful!!!
Just got to get out every now and then for watering, but the water levels are holding up better than expected.
I tend to over water, so probably the extra dry periods are very good for them.

:yoinks: :doh:... what the fek?! I hear some stories of some landraces with odd-ball "auto" in their population (fairly common in this line of PNG at another forum), but a mixed cross like this? Hmmmm, I'd see if Dubi or soembody can share some insight on that!

Wish I could drop some Ace beans around here...
Large pack of Tropical Mix regs anyone..............?

Very true right? I wonder if that 12/12 thing is more geared toward indoor growers and making bloody sure there's not reveg' funny bizz!
Here at Lat. 36.6, Solstace is 14:40 daylight... by mid Aug. it's 13:20-ish, 13/11 by beginning of Sept.... bloom starts for me more or less mid Aug.,....everything without exception finishes sooner than described apples-to-apples.....

:pause::pause::pause: ..BBL, dog-walk o'clock!

I think so. Tell the noobs they need to do 12/12, no more.
Maybe some "indoor only" strains really do need it. I'm not sure.

You in Fesno.... or on the coast??
Great climate around there!

So blooms starts for you around 13:20. That's valuable info, thanks.
I think most times from Euro breeders are for higher latitudes.
There, it takes longer for the hrs to get that low, so yours probably start earlier.

Happy doge walking'.

Legendary herb monster trees!
Must be nearly a year old, perhaps.
Where I grew up they have plants like that out in the forests.
4m tall or so, kgs per plant.
Long pole like buds stems, with nuggets running the entire length.
wow you are so lucky to have grown up with those beautiful big landraces, i am not sure todays strains could match that height though would love to try to grow then like that, if the law allows to grow 1 or 2 plants lol 1 would be enough alright. That was my fantasy with my guerilla grow, that got knocked on the head, to just let Blue fire grow how she likes. If i travel someday i would love to see or find landraces so i could post seeds home:bday:

LBH Selections -- Round 3 (Thai Gold Photo?) -- Day 54 (Bloom Day 23)

As mentioned earlier, recently temps around 35C-36C during the afternoon, high 20sC during night.
No rain for eight or nine days, though I watered (not huge amount) three days ago.
Because no rain, RH is lower than usual, from 50% during the day, to 75% at night.
No rain predicted (only maybe) for another few days, so time to got and water them.
As the next top-dressing time is almost up, last one being almost 4 weeks ago,
I mixed my top-dressing amendments, dropped them into a 1L bottle to soak and soften.
Otherwise, I think they will not have enough water to soak in, break down, and be available.
I am just going to use the liquid part, leave the residue solids in the bottom,
and slowly apply over next few weeks. I take another 1 L of pure water with me.

Traffic was very little. Because it's very hot.
Outside the site I notice, because it's getting dry, the grasses that are my ground cover are flopping over.
The pots are a bit more exposed, but they are still well disguised.

20200623 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (1).jpg

From a distance these are shaping into two good bushy top colas.

20200623 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (2).jpg

Colors are fairly light green, but very healthy.
There is a tiny bit of purple on some leaf petioles, but not much at all.
Maybe just higher K due to the coco?
Since I did the dolomite lime top-dress at the start of the month, I think the pH must be good now.
Probably less low-pH rain helps, too.

20200623 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (3).jpg

From the apical growth, it does look like they are flowering, just slowly.
You can see her narrow sativa-dominant leaflets as she still puts out 9-pointers.

LBH Selections -- Round 4 (Jack Herer Auto?) -- Day 28

I also gave her 0.5L of the organic amendments mix and 0.5L of the pure water.
Growth has progressed nicely for her, and she's handled the heat without any problems.

20200623 LBH Selection Rnd 4 (1).jpg

You can see she's definitely a darker shade of green than the Thai Gold.
The lower big fan leaves have not fared well, but the next one's up are taking over in size!
Putting out 9-pointer fan leaves at this point, good strong growth.
There are also nine tops in total on her, though a couple are fairly small and low down (but still getting light!)

20200623 LBH Selection Rnd 4 (2).jpg

The result of the second topping, with this big top branch now showing two smaller branches.
Even below that, the branching coming out of this big branch is quite strong.

This is one of the two side branches from the 3rd node, after topping at the 4th node.
20200623 LBH Selection Rnd 4 (3).jpg

Also 9-pointer, so I expect this will turn into a good cola!

Still no signs of flowering! But I still think from her shape that this is a female plant.

Hopefully this watering will keep them going until some forecast rain in a few more days.
They have definitely gone through some water/dry cycles in this heat.

Love and hugs,
~SM
:love:

Back