Whats up!! ... obviously by this post you see theres some people doing test grows.. thanks to you .. a big thanks to you.. for anyone who doesn't know ripper is the reason kind soil has been mentioned on this site.
Yes I am very happy about you being here.. Glad it all came together.. I hope that everyone from you the website and growers all benefit from this..

Great information i totally understand how this works and i cant wait to see it in action. I thought i wouldn't get to test out the soil due to being outside the US but the kind folks and Kind Soil gave me an offer i just couldn't refuse. Seems like i will get to test it out against my very own light soil mix recipe using Bio Bizz nutrients, im curious to see which will do better. Thanks again Kind Soil i cannot wait to use your product.

Since we're on the topic of water, I know that @Kindsoil does not recommend using R/O water per the information on the web site. I'd be curious what their thoughts or experiences are with water that has been run through carbon filters or other, not as super pure as R/O filters?

Thanks for all the great info...looking forward to watching the grows and getting my own started in the near(ish) future.

:bighug: KindSoil-- Welcome to AFN, and many thanks for working so generously with our testers! :d5: :bow: :thanks: .. As you see, folks are rather keen on your soil and methodology for it's use... and the peculiar creatures that auto's are in all their diversities and quirks, strain to strain, will be fine test subjects for this-:eyebrows: The pics I've seen of other grows with this soil are just stellar! :drool: I'm sure we'll be adding to them soon as well,...:biggrin:
.... wow, I just saw the pics of the BBQ acid plants :nono: --gawds, they came back from that?! Mute testimony to your soils' ability to recover as well- :greenthumb:....The pics are diagnostic gold for me, as the one of the Infirmary guys here! I will add them to the Defc./Ailment Pic Depot there....

>> Ozone-- I believe the water recommendations are all about keeping the pH in line,... carbon filters do basically nothing for mineral content (hardness, CaCO3 content), and using overly hard water over time can have a cumulative elevating effect on the soil pH; ditto, but in reverse for RO water, which is stripped of pH buffering mineral content,... and as you know, past a certain point, off-pH will start to lock out certain nutrient elements! Water can be a very insidious source of these troubles,...:doh:

Thanks for the link. Didn't read it all yet, but for anyone else curious here is the part relating to the filtered water. Looks like carbon filters I was hoping to use are okey dokey.

Q: Do we need to buy an R/O system?

A: No, there is no need for 0PPM water with our system we actually do not recommend it at all. It also is very wasteful, it takes 5+ gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of R/O water the rest is wasted. We recommend carbon filtered water at most to remove excess chlorine/chloramine. If do not have a carbon filter option; leave the water sit for 24hrs. with a fish tank air pump and air stone. If you have good drinkable well water that is also extremely good and recommended to use with our system.

Since we're on the topic of water, I know that @Kindsoil does not recommend using R/O water per the information on the web site. I'd be curious what their thoughts or experiences are with water that has been run through carbon filters or other, not as super pure as R/O filters?

Thanks for all the great info...looking forward to watching the grows and getting my own started in the near(ish) future.
well i hate to get on boards and put my personal options let me be clear on that. Everyones experiences and opinions very a lot and what works best for me may not for someone else.. So that being said my PERSONAL OPION on that is this:
Ro water is what i would suggest to anyone who runs synthetics or chemical grow lines of any kind. When running a soil program i wouldn't recommend it. Anyone who has ever had RO water come out at say 8.0 PH and tried to PH adjust RO water without adding anything back into that water, you know that not only do the PH meters generally not read properly the PH can jump full points with very little adjusting. Hanna makes 300+$ Oppm meters that are designed to properly read water PH levels in 0ppm water and very few people know that.
If you run a hard water or basic carbon filtered water with chemical lines and have a ppm level of say 200 afterwards and your not equating that into your feeding then you can have issues from simple overfeeding to excess build up occurring because more is being put into the soils than directed. So having 0ppm water is important when running feeds that way.

Im anti RO water..unless theres a need for it like with chemical lines. its a waste of time and money if you ask me. You waste something like 5 gallons of water to make a gallon of RO water. If you can do a basic filter and compensate your PPM levels properly the need for RO really isn't there. you can even buy hardwater feed systems now that basically compensate for all that for you.. to an extent.. general hydro i know makes one.

a simple pre and carbon filter to pull out sediments, irons, chlorine/chloramine is really all thats needed. There clearly are negative things that need to be filtered but there are things in basic water your plants benefit from, so stripping it of everything to use with a soil grow would really be useless and un-benefical.

it all comes to how your growing and what your using feed wise IMOP

and you mention not as "pure" IMOP its not about your water being PURe its about you not having negative items in the water that can effect your grow.. things like chlorine and chloramine at either high levels or over extended periods can slow and kill micro life in the soils, that you need to do a lot of your work. Thats for when your growing with something like our soil system.. my options would change running a chemical feed system obviously like i stated above.

I'd like to say welcome to AFN! Fellow michigander here and I'm pretty excited to try this stuff as well, I know @Ripper cuts his back just slightly, but do you guys have different recommendations for autos since they don't feed as long or need as much? I'd like to get full potential out of every pot I mix up and not throw away good soil. You guys have any recommendations for autos yet for amounts that differ from photo plants...

Back