Just received, and set up 2, Mars 300

Word homie. I have been fighting my 600hps all summer. It's a dimmable from 400-1000 but I figured it might be better to grab to leds rather then turn it up to 1000 for flowering. Got 9 under the 600 now just for veg
Nice bud. I actually have replace the hps with 2 more led panles from Vipar for 560 actual watts (1200 advertised watts) of led. So far I am loving it. Now just to let you know, they will put out heat. The 560w of led is about the same as an air cooled 600w was. Is your hood air cooled or open?

Nice bud. I actually have replace the hps with 2 more led panles from Vipar for 560 actual watts (1200 advertised watts) of led. So far I am loving it. Now just to let you know, they will put out heat. The 560w of led is about the same as an air cooled 600w was. Is your hood air cooled or open?
Open :( I'm doing away with the hps totally after this run. I was thinking of using 6 mars reflector 144 series for my 4x10. Also have u had to add calmag to ur plants under the leds?

Open :( I'm doing away with the hps totally after this run. I was thinking of using 6 mars reflector 144 series for my 4x10. Also have u had to add calmag to ur plants under the leds?
Well I use my own soil mix and it is high in Calcium to begin with, but around week I need to start adding it. Even then it's not bad. My soil has about 5 different sources of calcium though, so my opinion may not be the best. I rarely add mag either, but it is also around week 5 if I need to.

Well I use my own soil mix and it is high in Calcium to begin with, but around week I need to start adding it. Even then it's not bad. My soil has about 5 different sources of calcium though, so my opinion may not be the best. I rarely add mag either, but it is also around week 5 if I need to.
Lobster meal
Crab meal
Shrimp meal
Oyster flour
Dolomite lime
are my cal/mag providers for the main part of the grow.

Thanks brother. I use a super soil and mix ewc in with it also with some compost tea here and there. Guess I'll have to play around with the soil when I get the lights. Thanks again pal!

Thanks brother. I use a super soil and mix ewc in with it also with some compost tea here and there. Guess I'll have to play around with the soil when I get the lights. Thanks again pal!
Not a problem man. If you use supersoil, and this is only my opinion, you should be better off. I too use a SS, in my signature if you want to see it. Something you could look in to adding would be crab meal. Of the shtimp/lobster/crab in my soil, the crab are larger chunks, and decompose at a slower rate. Oyster flour is great too, also larger pieces, and buffers pH like lime does. Sorry if you know that, just wanted to share in case you didn't. :)

Not a problem man. If you use supersoil, and this is only my opinion, you should be better off. I too use a SS, in my signature if you want to see it. Something you could look in to adding would be crab meal. Of the shtimp/lobster/crab in my soil, the crab are larger chunks, and decompose at a slower rate. Oyster flour is great too, also larger pieces, and buffers pH like lime does. Sorry if you know that, just wanted to share in case you didn't. :)
Absolutely did not know that man, thank you for the knowledge. I actually buy my super soil already made. I would love to start making my own. Just super hard to find what I need without paying double what the item costs just for shipping. I only buy it already made cause it's less expensive that way. And it never let me down yet.

Absolutely did not know that man, thank you for the knowledge. I actually buy my super soil already made. I would love to start making my own. Just super hard to find what I need without paying double what the item costs just for shipping. I only buy it already made cause it's less expensive that way. And it never let me down yet.
There no problem buying man. Do you recycle the soil?

I have never recycled it. Do u ?
Yessir, I never dispose of it. With a living soil, it should still be very alive when you are finished. There are a fair amount of guides on doing it and it is simple. Bottom line, add more amendments, let digestion of amendments get going to recharge the goodies, use and smile. ;)

I have around 150-160 gallons of soil, and at any given time am only using about half of it. I have a 3x3 "soil box that holds right at 60 gallons of soil. After making a fresh batch or doing a "face lift" on all the soil, I'll just put the extra there. As I harvest plants, I let the pot sit for about a week. If it was a large plant I will feed the soil an enzyme feed to hurry digestion up some. After the roots die some, I just dump it in the soil box. I break up the soil, and rip w/e roots are left in to smaller pieces. Most times I'll just add a small amount of veg type amendments (crab,shrimp,kelp,alfalfa) mix and let it sit for ~1-2 weeks. For the amendments I only add about 1/4-1/2 of the original ratios. As you already know EWC kick ass, I add that from time to time to, but again just whenever I feel the soil can use it. Same with mushroom compost.

Another thing I do is if I have any extra teas, enzymes, experimental feeds that do well on the plants, I just feed it to my soil box. Sometimes I'll just make a molasses feed just for the soil, and not the plants. It's not anything I schedule either like the plants, sometimes it's twice a month, sometimes 3 times a week.

Some things that can be added to the soil to improve/sustain more microbial life are charged bio-char (don't buy this, make it, I can explain if needed), pumice stone, lava rocks, and about anything porous and organic. Bio-char in my opinion is the best for harboring microbial life. A piece the size of a [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] pencil eraser contains over a mile of pathways for the microbes to live in. It is extremely important that the bio-chat be charged though, otherwise it will actually deplete your soil until the bio-char is occupied/charged. Charged just means to already have a microbial population before use. You simple brew it with ewc tea, EZPZ.

Rice hulls are a great substitute for perlite, and a better "organic lifestyle choice". Although perlite is organic, the process of making it is not, and uses tons of fuel to produce. Rice hulls on the other hand are a by product of the rice industry, wrok GREAT for drainage/areation, do not float, and as the decompose they feed the soil with fresh humus on a regular basis. The humus also helps sustain healthy, and active soil. Also if you have a home brew beer store, it's silly cheap. I get them for $0.96 a lbs. I just redid about 40 gallons and only added 3lbs.

If you have any particular questions about reusing you soil feel free to ask man. ;)

Back