Status
Not open for further replies.
Berry Bomb Auto from Bomb Seeds. Removed her loose cap and found that her cotyledon is not fully formed. I may have removed cap too early or its a problem seed. It does have an odd shape as a seed.
6648411090ef3237ca09cb02c156e5d4.jpg

After 3 days, the cotyledons just would not open up. I forced them open several times to see if the first true leaves would come out by any miracle? It did!
a5ca9e2bb7baa516691f13c1e544a2ab.jpg

ae3875d6b39f1a26d32078ebb06afc0b.jpg

I germed another Berry Bomb for the 5 gallon pot. I transplanted this seedling to a 450ml plastic cup. Depending on how she does, will transplant her to a 1 gallon pot if she outgrows the cup.

Its really interesting how she is growing the leaves without any initial cotyledon support.
Are you starting a grow journal on this one? I would not mind following it...

@Mossy

I may have posted about this in the past but goodness only knows where?:shrug:

Today's word is "Guttation" and it is definitely one to be put into google.
I had a quick look around the net as I forget where I got previous info, there are two write ups on it below.

Guttation on Cannabis plants

When plants exude a syrupy sap from stems,leaves or inflorescent flower clusters on cannabis (Buds), this is called Guttation, and what your seeing is a sap exudate.... At night, transpiration usually does not occur because most plants have their stomata closed. When there is a high soil moisture level, water will enter plant roots, because the water potential of the roots is lower than in the soil solution. The water will accumulate in the plant, creating a slight root pressure. The root pressure forces some water to exude (most oftenly) through special leaf tips or edge structures, hydathodes, forming drops. Root pressure provides the impetus for this flow, rather than transpirational ascent. This sap exudate can be clear, tan, brown or even blood red(The red colour is due to haematin compounds and anthocyanin pigments that naturally build up in some varieties; The red colour may also indicate a nutrient deficiency, notably of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, or magnesium) This sap usually contains a variety of organic and inorganic compounds, mainly sugars, and mineral nutrients, and potassium. Upon drying, a white crust remains on the tissue surface. Guttated sap exudates most commonly exude from cannabis, along both sides of the leaf axil, where the petioles attach to the stem. Though Guttations typically exude(in most plants) through modified leaf stomata known as hydathodes, in cannabis guttations most commonly exude at the leaf axil, or another part of the stem via a stoma.

What Are the Causes of Guttation in Plants?

If you assume those drops of water on the leaves of your garden plants are always dew, you may be wrong. Dew is moisture from the air and will cover the surface of a leaf, but if you only see droplets on the leaf edges, you're seeing an example of guttation. This moisture is caused by the special physics of plant transportation.

Plant Transport Systems

Like all living things, plants need to move nutrients and moisture to all of their cells. Plants use xylem and phloem as the main vehicles for transport. Roots pull in water and nutrients from the soil, which are then moved upward into the stems and leaves by xylem. The leaves use the sun to create energy and food for the plant, which then travels downward into the stems and then the roots via phloem.

Plant Transport Systems

Like all living things, plants need to move nutrients and moisture to all of their cells. Plants use xylem and phloem as the main vehicles for transport. Roots pull in water and nutrients from the soil, which are then moved upward into the stems and leaves by xylem. The leaves use the sun to create energy and food for the plant, which then travels downward into the stems and then the roots via phloem.

Moving Xylem

To get to the leaves from the roots, xylem must overcome the downward pull of gravity. During the day, this is accomplished by transpiration, a special type of evaporation through holes in the leaves called stomata. The evaporation creates a pull like a vacuum to drag the xylem up from the roots. At night, transpiration slows in part because the stomata close, but xylem still needs to flow or the plant will wilt. To do this, the cells in the roots allow minerals to build up. This build up of minerals brings in water, which creates pressure in the root cells. This pressure pushes xylem back up to the leaves.

Xylem and Guttation

Leaves can only take in a finite amount of water. During the day or in dry conditions, the extra water evaporates due to the sun or wind. At night, cooler temperatures, calm conditions and closed stomata mean the leaves don't lose as much moisture as during the day. When the pressure in the root cells pushes water-carrying xylem up, the pressure forces excess water out of the leaves through special structures called hydathodes located at the tip and margins or leaves. Guttation mainly occurs at night, but it can happen during the day in areas with high humidity.

Plants and Guttation

Guttation doesn't happen in every plant. Trees, for example, are too large to create the force needed to push xylem upward hard enough to cause guttation. Plants that most commonly experience guttation are non-woody and smaller than 3 feet tall, but some shrubs and vines show guttation as well. Guttation is typically not a problem for plants unless your soil has a high mineral content. Once the water does evaporate, the minerals get left behind and can burn the tips of the leaves. Reducing the amount of fertilizer you use can prevent this burn.

The sappy exudate is very tasty but it does not contain any THC and is not psychoactive.
It is not a good thing to be smoking sugar, so remove any sap and pop it in your mouth for a tasty little treat.

Thank you so much @arty zan I learned a few new things there, much appreciated you put it up again :toke:

She will be featured in the THC Bomb battle journal if there is anything interesting. Won't do a separate one for her cos im already in 6 battles. Worried i can't keep up.
Sounds good, I will follow from this thread, thanks...:cheers:

@Mossy

I had a quick look around the net as I forget where I got previous info, there are two write ups on it below.

When plants exude a syrupy sap from stems,leaves or inflorescent flower clusters on cannabis (Buds), this is called Guttation, and what your seeing is a sap exudate.... At night, transpiration usually does not occur because most plants have their stomata closed. When there is a high soil moisture level, water will enter plant roots, because the water potential of the roots is lower than in the soil solution. The water will accumulate in the plant, creating a slight root pressure. The root pressure forces some water to exude (most oftenly) through special leaf tips or edge structures, hydathodes, forming drops. Root pressure provides the impetus for this flow, rather than transpirational ascent. This sap exudate can be clear, tan, brown or even blood red(The red colour is due to haematin compounds and anthocyanin pigments that naturally build up in some varieties; The red colour may also indicate a nutrient deficiency, notably of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, or magnesium) This sap usually contains a variety of organic and inorganic compounds, mainly sugars, and mineral nutrients, and potassium. Upon drying, a white crust remains on the tissue surface. Guttated sap exudates most commonly exude from cannabis, along both sides of the leaf axil, where the petioles attach to the stem. Though Guttations typically exude(in most plants) through modified leaf stomata known as hydathodes, in cannabis guttations most commonly exude at the leaf axil, or another part of the stem via a stoma.

If you assume those drops of water on the leaves of your garden plants are always dew, you may be wrong. Dew is moisture from the air and will cover the surface of a leaf, but if you only see droplets on the leaf edges, you're seeing an example of guttation. This moisture is caused by the special physics of plant transportation.

Plant Transport Systems

Plant Transport Systems

Moving Xylem

To get to the leaves from the roots, xylem must overcome the downward pull of gravity. During the day, this is accomplished by transpiration, a special type of evaporation through holes in the leaves called stomata. The evaporation creates a pull like a vacuum to drag the xylem up from the roots. At night, transpiration slows in part because the stomata close, but xylem still needs to flow or the plant will wilt. To do this, the cells in the roots allow minerals to build up. This build up of minerals brings in water, which creates pressure in the root cells. This pressure pushes xylem back up to the leaves.

Xylem and Guttation

Leaves can only take in a finite amount of water. During the day or in dry conditions, the extra water evaporates due to the sun or wind. At night, cooler temperatures, calm conditions and closed stomata mean the leaves don't lose as much moisture as during the day. When the pressure in the root cells pushes water-carrying xylem up, the pressure forces excess water out of the leaves through special structures called hydathodes located at the tip and margins or leaves. Guttation mainly occurs at night, but it can happen during the day in areas with high humidity.

Plants and Guttation

Guttation doesn't happen in every plant. Trees, for example, are too large to create the force needed to push xylem upward hard enough to cause guttation. Plants that most commonly experience guttation are non-woody and smaller than 3 feet tall, but some shrubs and vines show guttation as well. Guttation is typically not a problem for plants unless your soil has a high mineral content. Once the water does evaporate, the minerals get left behind and can burn the tips of the leaves. Reducing the amount of fertilizer you use can prevent this burn.

The sappy exudate is very tasty but it does not contain any THC and is not psychoactive.
It is not a good thing to be smoking sugar, so remove any sap and pop it in your mouth for a tasty little treat.
Nice info,...thanks!
Was well worth my time...:smoking::d5:

@Mossy

Plant Transport Systems

Plant Transport Systems

Moving Xylem

Xylem and Guttation

Plants and Guttation

Thank You @arty zan ...:bighug:..I Thought it might have been you....you do have all the Best information links...
I Think I read it in [HASHTAG]#livesstoners[/HASHTAG] ...but I wouldn't like to try to dive through all the back pages..I could be gone for life...

The way you lot gossip.....:crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back