Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I love having a tent full of bushes.
It's like 1976 in a 4x4 tent...
20190606_180733.jpg

Lol how about a crappy "the thought was there, at least" picture for @BigSm0 ?
20190606_181707.jpg

My big girl is happy... So I'm happy.
20190606_181713.jpg

@Equatorial

So my boards came in, and I got a couple Q's for you. The light itself is really hot unless I have a fan blowing across it, then it's still hot but not worrisome, this normal?

Second is the driver. looks like I can turn it up to 315 Watts (as noted by my KilloWatt meter), I turned it down to 200W but it's still hot. I'd like to run it as high as I can if it is safe. Where do you recommend setting it at? Voltage stays the same from that adjustment screw?

Let me understand what you received and setup? Which board/s did you get? With heatsink or only board? I am assuming your driver is the AB type where you can add an external dimmer or adjust on the driver itself using a screwdriver. I use external dimmers.

It sounds right that a bit of air blowing on them cools them right down. Especially if you run them at max, some air on them is best.

Let me know. Hope i can help.

Let me understand what you received and setup? Which board/s did you get? With heatsink or only board? I am assuming your driver is the AB type where you can add an external dimmer or adjust on the driver itself using a screwdriver. I use external dimmers.

It sounds right that a bit of air blowing on them cools them right down. Especially if you run them at max, some air on them is best.

Let me know. Hope i can help.

Sorry, brain fart!!

This light here:
Driver is Meanwell HLG-240H-48AB

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-b.0.0.49392fc2vXeeHT

So around these parts for the past few decades, the only smoke you could get, IF you could get any at all, (and I never could) was and still is "the old man who brought seeds back from Vietnam...." and its all stemmy, uncured, shakey, and weak. (Kinda resembling the old men that grow it...) I took an auto Amnesia plant to one of these old friends that I wanted to convince Autos are the way to go, and he won't have to spend months bending down 12 foot tall plants since he lives in a little house by a lake and plants the damn things right where everyone on the lake could float by and see them. And only one harvest per year. I mean come on, let's all learn and evolve.
He was really confused, because it already had begun flowering and I started it mid-April, and when I tried to explain it to him he just cut me off and said "I just give 'em coffee grounds and banana peels. Thank you..." and didn't want to hear about any new-fangled weirdo plants. But he took it.
As I was turning to go, he brings me out a three month old "Old Man's Vietnam War" plant about 8 inches tall and hands it to me, as if I was asking for an exchange. Sigh. Now I have a photo planted out in the old chicken pen...not exactly what I was going for but hey.
P.S. Once he smokes that Amnesia he may be changing his mind. lmao

Sorry, brain fart!!

This light here:
Driver is Meanwell HLG-240H-48AB

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-b.0.0.49392fc2vXeeHT

Ok. These are two 288 boards. Important to note that HLG uses 54V boards but Chinese ones usually uses 48V. Therefore you will see single 288 HLG boards claiming 135W max while Chinese ones say 120W. They are the same thing, just driven softer which I believe is better.

So the makers recommends that 240W be the max. However, Meanwell drivers are known to push pass max by quite a little. So not surprising that you can go above 240W. They do get hot when you push them. Unless you live in very hot climates like myself, the heatsink will be sufficient even when pushed to max. A small fan is always best.

You may get confused with the heat coming off the boards cos they are passive cooled by the heatsink. Heat dissipates off the aluminum. So it feels hot when touching them. Lights with built in fans active cooled will not get this hot when touched.

If you check some YouTube vids, you will see that it takes a lot to burn these boards. Im more worried about the heat on plants than the board themselves.

Distance is a little tricky cos 4 out of my 5 plants like it one way but 1 plant prefers another. Best to get a free phone app light meter to get a ball park figure on lumens then divide by about 67 to get ppfd figures. Ball park only but good enough. Or, just observe.

Not sure I missed out anything. If i did lemme know

Ok. These are two 288 boards. Important to note that HLG uses 54V boards but Chinese ones usually uses 48V. Therefore you will see single 288 HLG boards claiming 135W max while Chinese ones say 120W. They are the same thing, just driven softer which I believe is better.

So the makers recommends that 240W be the max. However, Meanwell drivers are known to push pass max by quite a little. So not surprising that you can go above 240W. They do get hot when you push them. Unless you live in very hot climates like myself, the heatsink will be sufficient even when pushed to max. A small fan is always best.

You may get confused with the heat coming off the boards cos they are passive cooled by the heatsink. Heat dissipates off the aluminum. So it feels hot when touching them. Lights with built in fans active cooled will not get this hot when touched.

If you check some YouTube vids, you will see that it takes a lot to burn these boards. Im more worried about the heat on plants than the board themselves.

Distance is a little tricky cos 4 out of my 5 plants like it one way but 1 plant prefers another. Best to get a free phone app light meter to get a ball park figure on lumens then divide by about 67 to get ppfd figures. Ball park only but good enough. Or, just observe.

Not sure I missed out anything. If i did lemme know

Thanks for the info! I do need to keep the heat down a little, as I have four tents going and exhausting one outside plus the room; still when it gets July-August it's gonna cook. May shut down one tent over the summer.

I read someone say that their heat sink didn't get hot, but in hindsight that does seem impossible. My two cobs are hot too, so are my LED strips. I have lots of fans going to dissipate the heat and exhaust fans to remove it from the tents.

So far with new lights I hang them up higher, then drop them if I need to. My other lights I swapped around are very intense too so I am probably safe to hang about the same distance. I will probably go from 200w up to 240w and see where I am at. I will swap it into my 2x4 tent with two of the strips, so I will have 42w/ft2 which is good in my books.

Thanks for the info! I do need to keep the heat down a little, as I have four tents going and exhausting one outside plus the room; still when it gets July-August it's gonna cook. May shut down one tent over the summer.

I read someone say that their heat sink didn't get hot, but in hindsight that does seem impossible. My two cobs are hot too, so are my LED strips. I have lots of fans going to dissipate the heat and exhaust fans to remove it from the tents.

So far with new lights I hang them up higher, then drop them if I need to. My other lights I swapped around are very intense too so I am probably safe to hang about the same distance. I will probably go from 200w up to 240w and see where I am at. I will swap it into my 2x4 tent with two of the strips, so I will have 42w/ft2 which is good in my books.
Sounds good. Reading your reply about wattage per sf makes me wonder.

It is said that for photos, 1000ppfd is the mark to hit for flowering. In lumens, thats roughly 60-70k lm. However, photos only gets 12 hours light. For autos, do we cut in half if we give 24/0? Even if not half and coupled with the fact that autos grow faster, it should not be the same as photos?

Just a random stoner thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back