Jraven's New Soil. Time to dig in.

Getting set to mix my soil up for the coming season. Looks like I'll have too much to mix in one batch so will split it into two.
This is my tentative base mix, I haven't figured out the other amendments yet but I have most of the usual stuff.
85 gallons used soil
25 lbs E.B. Stone EWC
25lbs mushroom compost
2 gallons sand, 2-3 gallons perlite
P_20170119_103405_1_p.jpg

Seasons Greetings brothers and sisters.
Wow,,I see it's been a month since I got the bug. But now I am actually getting 'er mixed up. I managed to get the base soil mixed in one batch, still a bit of stirring to do though!
I for sure need to divide it in two to mix in the amendments, it's a beast as is.
P_20170220_152457_1_p.jpg

I made some biochar. Made a burner can that fits in the wood stove...works pretty good
P_20170206_124215_1_p.jpg
P_20170207_120830_1_p.jpg

So I guess a new season approaches! Time to go stir some more.

Seasons Greetings brothers and sisters.
Wow,,I see it's been a month since I got the bug. But now I am actually getting 'er mixed up. I managed to get the base soil mixed in one batch, still a bit of stirring to do though!
I for sure need to divide it in two to mix in the amendments, it's a beast as is.
View attachment 705557
I made some biochar. Made a burner can that fits in the wood stove...works pretty good
View attachment 705558 View attachment 705560
So I guess a new season approaches! Time to go stir some more.
what kind wood you use? have you PHed it? I saved a bunch of charcoal from the dog pot this fall, spruce wood. I've read softwood ashes acidic, hardwood alkaline. I don't have a ph meter to check

Well, you mentioned digging yours out and that reminded me lol. I had meant to do it sooner but got sidetracked:haha:
Anyhow I got a few more goodies to toss in now so it's all good.

what kind wood you use? have you PHed it? I saved a bunch of charcoal from the dog pot this fall, spruce wood. I've read softwood ashes acidic, hardwood alkaline. I don't have a ph meter to check
I have heard that, but I haven't tested. I don't have a meter either but can get a rough guess with test strips. I used huckleberry limbs, and some white oak that I had around for aging whiskey.

Man you cooking good now ,i got some shit for ya ,How far do you have to go to get your mail.LOL.Do they fly it in or just drop it on top of your house.LOL.When do we get to see some pics of the bay.I like pics of the boat to.I am a land lover now.Be hearing from me soon.Peace

Love him burner , I have one of the few hard wood mills in Australia Just down the road . Looks like I will be going there on the weekend as they burn a lot of there scrap timber .

Back