So today, day 20 I started her first training.

I put a small anchor at the bottom of the stem and gently bent the top on the opposite direction. The side branches are still to small to train them, I decided to let them grow a bit more, not to stress her too much.

As I said, I ended up prunning the second set of fan leaves but noticed no stunt so far. I'm curious to see how she's going to react to the lst.

What do you think for a first timer? Does it seems ok? Any advice?

Thanks mates! :D

fotografia 5.JPG
fotografia 4.JPG
fotografia 3.JPG
fotografia 2.JPG
fotografia 1.JPG

Hi mates!

Let me pick your brains again.

Last photos were from day 20, 1 day after starting lst. I'm now on day 24, I noticed a good growth and the lower branches trying to catch up but I still haven't managed to tie them down, they haven't streched enough. She seems much shorter and bushier than some of the plants I see here. Yesterday I raised the lights to around 50cm (20'') to try to create some stretch so I can tie them.

Should I be concerned about this or should I just be patient until she starts her florwering stretch? I removed 4 big fan leaves that were blocking light to the lower branches during the lst process. I'm afraid she got stunted :(

Can you tell me how you think she's doing?

Thanks and happy grows! :D

Photo from day 24
fotografia.JPG

What strain are you growing?

No they haven't really made the house smelly, though they will let of some fine odors. I burn candles a lot on my desk as they help relax me, and the candles help with a smell issues and also I get a C02 boost, not just from the candles but me being in the room a lot.

So it’s not just me with the co2 boost, I like blow on my plants .... got a sunny window, think I’ll try growing one as a “house plant”

She does seem stunted to me, at day 24 in your grow environment I would have expected a bigger plant with more branching. When you 1st remove some fan leaves she was too young in my opinion, but I have often found these plants hit some amazing growth spurts in spite of some of the things we do to them. It is all a learning process and part of the journey of gaining experience. These big fan leaves store energy, help the plant with photosynthesis, help the plant transpire, and also uptake nutrients via foliar feeding. I tend not to remove big fan leaves unless they are already old and dieing or simply blocking a branch top site and tucking wont work, if tucking does work I want to do this and let the leaf live, as it is a energy factory for the plant and grows for a reason. I usually don't remove fan leaves in Veg but only in flower, though every grow scenario is different, I have in past grows had battles with Thrips which has caused me to remove fan leaves sooner. With all this said your case could also simply be you are growing 'the runt of the litter'. When I have grown out 3 to 5 plants at the same time of the same strain, one always seems to lag behind the others being the runt, it could be your one plant here might have just been that runt. Even with good quality genetics there is still genetic variance in each plant, which is why people love to pheno hunt.

Also when you raise the lights in should cause the plant to 'stretch' towards the light, mainly the top, with your LST technique the branches should stretch out, I actually get/encourage my side branch growth by getting some lower power screw in led's closer to the branch site and giving them their own source of light. a simple desk lamp is used for this purpose and one that is highly adjustable so I can ensure the branch sites are getting their own quality light source.

At this point in your grow, you should see some stretch when she goes into flower, most strains will do this, I have had some auto's double in size during flower, but most don't, and some hardly stretch at all, it comes back to genetic variance. Ensure you are not over watering which is such a common common mistake that I see many experience growers do let alone newbies. Allow your soil to dry out a little inbetween waterings, but not to the point of the plant wilting due to no water. Its a fine line, and as the plant matures and goes into bloom its water requirements change, don't be surprised if a flowering auto becomes a heavy drinker, I always let the soil tell me when to water.

So it’s not just me with the co2 boost, I like blow on my plants .... got a sunny window, think I’ll try growing one as a “house plant”

Humans are an ideal source of co2..... and if one spends much time in the garden the plants get what they need. It is often in a closed/controlled growing environments is where co2 needs to be added or also in larger scale grows.

She does seem stunted to me, at day 24 in your grow environment I would have expected a bigger plant with more branching. When you 1st remove some fan leaves she was too young in my opinion, but I have often found these plants hit some amazing growth spurts in spite of some of the things we do to them. It is all a learning process and part of the journey of gaining experience. These big fan leaves store energy, help the plant with photosynthesis, help the plant transpire, and also uptake nutrients via foliar feeding. I tend not to remove big fan leaves unless they are already old and dieing or simply blocking a branch top site and tucking wont work, if tucking does work I want to do this and let the leaf live, as it is a energy factory for the plant and grows for a reason. I usually don't remove fan leaves in Veg but only in flower, though every grow scenario is different, I have in past grows had battles with Thrips which has caused me to remove fan leaves sooner. With all this said your case could also simply be you are growing 'the runt of the litter'. When I have grown out 3 to 5 plants at the same time of the same strain, one always seems to lag behind the others being the runt, it could be your one plant here might have just been that runt. Even with good quality genetics there is still genetic variance in each plant, which is why people love to pheno hunt.

Also when you raise the lights in should cause the plant to 'stretch' towards the light, mainly the top, with your LST technique the branches should stretch out, I actually get/encourage my side branch growth by getting some lower power screw in led's closer to the branch site and giving them their own source of light. a simple desk lamp is used for this purpose and one that is highly adjustable so I can ensure the branch sites are getting their own quality light source.

At this point in your grow, you should see some stretch when she goes into flower, most strains will do this, I have had some auto's double in size during flower, but most don't, and some hardly stretch at all, it comes back to genetic variance. Ensure you are not over watering which is such a common common mistake that I see many experience growers do let alone newbies. Allow your soil to dry out a little inbetween waterings, but not to the point of the plant wilting due to no water. Its a fine line, and as the plant matures and goes into bloom its water requirements change, don't be surprised if a flowering auto becomes a heavy drinker, I always let the soil tell me when to water.

Thanks mate!!

I'm also afraid she got stunt a little bit. I always notice a daily growth but not very significant at this point.

In this case I think I will just be patient and wait for the pre-flower stretch to try to pull the side branches down and away from the center. I removed 4 fan leaves during LST b/c my pot is not filled to the top (noob mistake, I think I will never do it again) and pulling the main cola down, the leaves were blocking the lower side branches and touching the soil (they were getting really big, bigger than my hands), I was afraid of having some mold build up during the watering so I trimmed them.

Regarding the watering, I'm trying to use the "less is more" theory. I try to wait until the soil is dry, and feel the weight of the pot as well. I watered yesterday, but just with 0,5L, since she doesn't drink that much at this stage, I don't want to flood the soil and wait 1 week until the next watering :p

I can see 8 side branches that can (potencially) develop into nice colas, and the new leaves growing have a slightly lighter shade of green, so I think she's entering the pre-flower stage (doesn't seem like a nutrient deficiency). I'm hoping she will explode in the next few days...

Thank you for your feedback!! :D

Back