Insects: The good, The Bad, and the Bugly

Yay remembered the camera today!! And i have a bunch of pics...i just cleaned the spitters out 2 days ago and didnt get any of those....but i do have a couple new species

First up the mold faker...
location North america
Size 1/4"
View attachment 790420

Very difficult to catch...+1 to 912KillerSkell , -1 for mold faker! ;)
View attachment 790422

A friendly hitting some pollen from some close proximity Golden Raspberries
View attachment 790425

And i hate these little bastards!! Very, very difficult to catch!!
Size: 3/8"
View attachment 790427

And another enemy. -1 912missskell , life until tomorrow for schwimmenbug
Size 3/8"
View attachment 790428

Is it me or does the front of this this bugger look like a friggin world war 2 boat car? aka schwimmenwagen
View attachment 790430

And hmmmm a friendly i think??
Size: 1/4"
View attachment 790431

That's a great collection @912GreenSkell and wonderful pics!
For my outdoor grows, I usually have two - three spiders in the neighborhood patrolling...love to see al their catches next morning haha.
I only have big issues with moths in autumn, they leave some larvae that almost killed my buds once!
Great thread keep it going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's a great collection @912GreenSkell and wonderful pics!
For my outdoor grows, I usually have two - three spiders in the neighborhood patrolling...love to see al their catches next morning haha.
I only have big issues with moths in autumn, they leave some larvae that almost killed my buds once!
Great thread keep it going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!! Yeah i usually have a few spiders kicking around, but havent seen many this year. Please stop by with some pics if you get the moths!(but we hope you dont get them!!) Amazing i got all of those pics in less than a half hour!!

Anyone ever been hypnotized?? This north american 3/8" long bud has been known to do just that!! Hard time getting a solid closeup in focus due to wind.
IMG_5762.JPG

Agggghhhhh!! Look out his gaze is piercing you RIGHT NOW!! :D :D
IMG_5763.JPG

:cuss: vermins! :rofl: ... spitters, you mean spittle bugs, with the foamy spit around them? those are larval leaf hoppers, and so is that "mold" mimic looking larvae,.. like woolly aphids, that fuzzy crap is a defensive material, unappetizing,... No idea on the metallic green fly, maybe a hover fly? -- not bad, not good (predatory) I think,... neutral visitor! Great pics BTW my friend- :d5:.... OK, that last guy is a trip! :eek1: ..looooook into my eye facets,... :rofl: ...looks like a leaf hopper type to me,...but the "open" wings at the back end are kinda moth-like, huh,... but no antennae, so it's not a moth,...

... saw another cool small wasp yesterday, this one had white bands on the antennae (you can just see it in first pic), nice brick red color,... wish I knew how to blow up my pics! I got the resolution for it,...
s1.jpg
View attachment 790735
a3.jpg

Last edited:
:cuss: vermins! :rofl: ... spitters, you mean spittle bugs, with the foamy spit around them? those are larval leaf hoppers, and so is that "mold" mimic looking larvae,.. like woolly aphids, that fuzzy crap is a defensive material, unappetizing,... No idea on the metallic green fly, maybe a hover fly? -- not bad, not good (predatory) I think,... neutral visitor! Great pics BTW my friend- :d5:.... OK, that last guy is a trip! :eek1: ..looooook into my eye facets,... :rofl: ...looks like a leaf hopper type to me,...but the "open" wings at the back end are kinda moth-like, huh,... but no antennae, so it's not a moth,...

... saw another cool small wasp yesterday, this one had white bands on the antennae (you can just see it in first pic), nice brick red color,... wish I knew how to blow up my pics! I got the resolution for it,...View attachment 790734 View attachment 790735

Awesome bud!! Yeah you hit the nail on the head with all of those(i knew what they were, except for the metallic fly), did a bit of google image surfing to confirm what i thought.

I saw a leafhopper that looked similar to the hypnotizer....blown away by how cool this micro universe is..i mean i have great vision, but not great enough to zoom in 20X :D I used to just kill every insect i could catch relentlessly....and based on what i have in my garden i was doing the right thing!! Hahahahaha

Here in the UK, general plants like tomato, cucumbers, and flowering plants such as fuchsia etc etc are suffering badly from whitefly. Back in the day we would use something like Murphy's systemic or any garden center spray. But gradually they have become immune. Once we even let off some old illegal nicotine bombs in the greenhouse. Nothing but nothing will touch the little beggers.
Even tried "Encarsia" a minute wasp. Bloody expensive and useless.

The only thing that has any effect is to dunk the plant in a strong solution of washing up liquid. Or spraying if the plant is too large. They hate it and feck off for a bit. But it is not long before they come straight back........

Any ideas chums ? Ta....eP.

:pass: I figured you knew, but for educations sake in the thread, I dropped the clues- :rofl:,... did you find anything on the fly? there are so many species, most we never even see, or maybe once or twice ever,.. the long legs make me doubt hover fly spp., I think they have much shorter legs,... but i have lots of them around! they seem to really like the plant aroma, even when there's nothing good to snack on- poor lads! Their flight is amazing to me, it's so stable and smooth, it looks almost fake- :thumbsup:.. watching them rotate in place, and hover/dart around, it's like live CG!

... yeah, those "eyes" are something if an illusion,.. the composite facet lenses that make up the outer eye are like 100's-1000's of tiny "peep holes", each showing just a small piece of the picture, so to speak,..all together though they can make a very wide angle view.. some have near or total 360 degree vision (mantises, dragon flies, fly's, etc. do, I believe).... the lenses that face directly at us are the dark "pupil" looking area, slightly off angle the "iris", the rest is off angle so it all looks the same,...
How are you taking the pics, with a nice macro lens? indeed, hand held at that magnification is way difficult! Even your heart beat will induce movement,... you know, I tried to figure that Paint trick out, and I can't! :baghead: I do use it to reduce pic size as well a lowering the res' on the camera,... the trick I don't get is how to magnify the pic up, then crop it,.. after I down size it? direct from the camera, into Paint. the image is still huge, way off the screen,.. I reduce it to 25% and save it,... so, how to blow it up, yet keep the mb size the same..? I wish there was some way with the Windows Photo viewer, but that's a very basic program,..

... eP :smoking:--- white flies are pure fuckers! Like aphids, the plant color to their eyes, is attractive to them, so no stopping that,... killing all around at that time is easy, but as you know, they all just get replaced by new ones before long! I have a few around, but nothing nearby seems to be attracting them as much,.. last season, my client had some squash, peas and a few other veggies that they mobbed, pit stopping on the plants too! :cuss: ... Too bad the SNS 209 isn't available over there, as it's a real deal systemic that fouls the taste,.. even the larval aphids don't seem to do well trying to feed on it,.. only dilemma with it is, about 3 weeks before harvest, you have to stop use so it can metabolize out,.. meantime, it's open season for the fekking budworms! They start chewing, and the mold moves right in,... At this point, I use a spinosad spray on the leaves if needed, may try the Bacillus (Bt) spray too,...

:pass: I figured you knew, but for educations sake in the thread, I dropped the clues- :rofl:,... did you find anything on the fly? there are so many species, most we never even see, or maybe once or twice ever,.. the long legs make me doubt hover fly spp., I think they have much shorter legs,... but i have lots of them around! they seem to really like the plant aroma, even when there's nothing good to snack on- poor lads! Their flight is amazing to me, it's so stable and smooth, it looks almost fake- :thumbsup:.. watching them rotate in place, and hover/dart around, it's like live CG!

... yeah, those "eyes" are something if an illusion,.. the composite facet lenses that make up the outer eye are like 100's-1000's of tiny "peep holes", each showing just a small piece of the picture, so to speak,..all together though they can make a very wide angle view.. some have near or total 360 degree vision (mantises, dragon flies, fly's, etc. do, I believe).... the lenses that face directly at us are the dark "pupil" looking area, slightly off angle the "iris", the rest is off angle so it all looks the same,...
How are you taking the pics, with a nice macro lens? indeed, hand held at that magnification is way difficult! Even your heart beat will induce movement,... you know, I tried to figure that Paint trick out, and I can't! :baghead: I do use it to reduce pic size as well a lowering the res' on the camera,... the trick I don't get is how to magnify the pic up, then crop it,.. after I down size it? direct from the camera, into Paint. the image is still huge, way off the screen,.. I reduce it to 25% and save it,... so, how to blow it up, yet keep the mb size the same..? I wish there was some way with the Windows Photo viewer, but that's a very basic program,..

... eP :smoking:--- white flies are pure fuckers! Like aphids, the plant color to their eyes, is attractive to them, so no stopping that,... killing all around at that time is easy, but as you know, they all just get replaced by new ones before long! I have a few around, but nothing nearby seems to be attracting them as much,.. last season, my client had some squash, peas and a few other veggies that they mobbed, pit stopping on the plants too! :cuss: ... Too bad the SNS 209 isn't available over there, as it's a real deal systemic that fouls the taste,.. even the larval aphids don't seem to do well trying to feed on it,.. only dilemma with it is, about 3 weeks before harvest, you have to stop use so it can metabolize out,.. meantime, it's open season for the fekking budworms! They start chewing, and the mold moves right in,... At this point, I use a spinosad spray on the leaves if needed, may try the Bacillus (Bt) spray too,...

Yeah absolutely...thats why i left them unnamed....just to keep up discussion. I didnt look into the metallic fly.

Thats very cool about the tiny peepholes, very interesting indeed!!

Paint - here is how i would do it. PUll up you pic in paint full size/resolution, and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom into the part of the pic you want. Then at the top use the select feature and select the part you want, then use the crop feature, save and post. I "think" that would work??

@epenguin - Though we do have whiteflies, we don't get them bad at alll....i have a feeling that our -10 to -30 winters keep most bug populations in check.

Back