Insects: The good, The Bad, and the Bugly

... Ah, I see now! ... done (see above wasp),.. but there's no way to control custom amounts of magnification? I get 25-50-100-200-300% steps,.. nothing in between,..:shrug:... might have to retry this on Windows Photo,...

... Ah, I see now! ... done (see above wasp),.. but there's no way to control custom amounts of magnification? I get 25-50-100-200-300% steps,.. nothing in between,..:shrug:... might have to retry this on Windows Photo,...

Hmmmm i dont think there is a way to regulate magnification fully on paint(pic looks solid bud, great it worked!!)...as for your question about my camera. I use a cheap(er) old(6+ years now?) Canon Powershot SD 790 compact camera. I do alot of semi-macro photography(basically tiny artwork painting) outside the canna realm, so when i bought my camera i was looking for a few features like a solid digital zoom. Her specs are low compared to todays cameras having only 10mb. In macro mode it has 4X Digital Zoom and image stabilizer so freehand closeups are possible, still hard but possible if the target isnt moving too much. I take most indoor still shots on a tripod using manual settings(not macro mode) and zoom in at around 3 feet. Have to use a timer on those or get camera shake.

The ladybugs work great ,they prefer the temps in the mid 70s ,I put down a lil paper towel with water and they hydrate off it ,since I am organic I use very lil sprays and the ones I do are obviously organic ,but I don't have to spray as much with about 10 of them roaming around,I get spidermites from.outdoors and battle em well with lil integrated pest management,its also super cool to see em back in forth on leaves and flying between plants taking care of business.
Great ideal using the paper towel for moisture. You can also feed them raisins during lean times to help keep up the population. :pimp:

Saw some damage and found these little buggers feasting away. I removed and sprayed with neem oil.
20170813_205947[1].jpg
20170813_205952[1].jpg

20170813_210012[1].jpg
20170813_225534[1].jpg
20170813_225540[1].jpg

@912GreenSkell ... who's got a sexy camera lens then? :bow: Nice photos boss.

@Waira ... mix works a treat, plants love it, insects hate it .. the root ginger leaves a nice aroma too. I've used it a few times now and I particularly enjoy viewing the exploded spider-mites under a microscope the next day ..
Mite-post-treatment.jpg

Best I can do with my current tech. :toke:

Btw, I never spray with anything in the final 2 weeks .. if I haven't killed it off by then, I ain't going to.
I've found that one spray, followed by the DE, does the job in one go.

:shooty:

:muahaha: :thumbsup: -- nicely done BW UK! That mix is lethal,.. and delicious! I'm temped to marinate a nice steaky-steak in it- :crying:,... if you would be so kind, please post up your recipe/process for us,... also, the "why" behind fresh ginger root and corainder; I get requests on occasion for fully natural/"vegan" pest control solutions,... :toke: :thanks:--- and thanks for the follow-up on your remedy! :slap:

>> :smoking: Pepe' mate, how goes it? ...I see you have unwelcome dinners- :cuss:... can you get the Bacillus thrungiensis (Bt) spray down there? that at least will stay on the leaves for future vermins as well, give'm all rot-gut endings!

Insect predator? Beneficial? Harmful? All of the above on this one!! I used to let these buggers in my garden to shit and eats bugs(they love japanese beetles), until one day i caught one jumping and eating leaves!! So now these killers are banned from the garden
IMG_5790.JPG

IMG_5791.JPG

Hey guys scouring the net to get a positive ID on this one I don't have a great camera like some you fellas but I could try to get a better pic if needed.

f826054940682e7a5d59ee29f52c57bc.jpg

bf25df46f0eb4c7e0703008dfc565944.jpg

I am in North America. Insect is roughly 3/8" long.
They do not appear to damage anything but I worry that they are leaving larvae around or something. They are pretty smart too. If I'm looking around my plants, they will hide from my line of sight. They can hop and fly.

Edit: I am really worried now, I just saw them pooping out what looked like little white drops onto the soil while they chilled on my main stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
:cuss: vermins! :rofl: ... spitters, you mean spittle bugs, with the foamy spit around them? those are larval leaf hoppers, and so is that "mold" mimic looking larvae,.. like woolly aphids, that fuzzy crap is a defensive material, unappetizing,... No idea on the metallic green fly, maybe a hover fly? -- not bad, not good (predatory) I think,... neutral visitor! Great pics BTW my friend- :d5:.... OK, that last guy is a trip! :eek1: ..looooook into my eye facets,... :rofl: ...looks like a leaf hopper type to me,...but the "open" wings at the back end are kinda moth-like, huh,... but no antennae, so it's not a moth,...

... saw another cool small wasp yesterday, this one had white bands on the antennae (you can just see it in first pic), nice brick red color,... wish I knew how to blow up my pics! I got the resolution for it,...View attachment 790734 View attachment 790735View attachment 790949

open the original picture in paint, zoom out, mark the part you want, right click and cut, start a new picture ( no u dont want to save any changes :D ) make the white background smaller than the part u marked before, then paste it and save it as a new picture.

the result should be a smallpicture with high resolution

Back